Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Or possibly we knew the game was lost, so stick players in who are expendible and don't care if they pick up an unnecessary knock or booking (Lovenkrands, Perch).

Look at the stick he got by many on here when he stuck Tiote on at Stevenage when the game was pretty much lost.

I hate that logic, though. It goes in the same column as 'let's not risk so and so this game, let's save him for more winnable games'. Obviously not as extreme, though. I'd rather we stuck on the players who we're looking to get integrated into the team, whether it's a hard fixture or not. Not the ones who we should be shipping out of the club the first chance we get to upgrade on them. They could pick up a knock or a booking in the first 5 minutes of their first start for the club, they could do it if they come on in the final 5 minutes as a time wasting sub.

Guest optimistic nit

I'm quite happy for Santon to be on the bench atm. With the first season Enrique had compared to his actual ability as a left back, i'd rather we eased Santon in gently if we have that option. I'm sure Enrique learnt a lot from his first season with us, however i'd rather we brought Santon in gently, especially given we have a good defensive record (Ryan Taylor was gash vs citeh, i'm not disputing that).

He's starting in the reserves I suspect with Pardew watching as an audition for saturday.

Can't see it me self.  Really excited to see him though, just don't think it will be until the new year or until we get injuries.

/suspensions

Expect 1, 2, maybe even 3 changes Saturday, but I don't think Santon will start.

I think Pardew's spot on with him. He's only a young lad. Give him a few months to settle in, get to know a bit of the language and then be brought in gently.

In the past we've bought foreign players with no experience of the club and league, lobbed them straight in and then wondered why they look like a fish out of water.

I think Pardew's spot on with him. He's only a young lad. Give him a few months to settle in, get to know a bit of the language and then be brought in gently.

In the past we've bought foreign players with no experience of the club and league, lobbed them straight in and then wondered why they look like a fish out of water.

:thup:

Completely agree, people are going way overboard thinking he hasn't settle/isn't playing well. He was never going to get into a defense performing as well as ours is. I'll think the same even if he doesn't start on Saturday, Pardew's not one to change a settled team on one bad performance.

And completely wrote them off, don't forget.

Bang on.