Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Part of the learning curve for a young player to be honest. He's shown enough in the past that he can be sound defensively. If Ryan Taylor had been fit he'd be in the team at his expense by now.

On that note, how we miss Raylor's random dead ball threat  :(

Raylor's not the answer either. Just shows what a shambles we made of replacing Enrique tbh. Still hope Santon can come good though, he's a good footballer, if one-footed.

Looks like you're all mostly on-point in regards to Santon the last matches. It's been dreadful watching this guy losing the ball and just jogging around like it was no tomorrow, not really interesting in getting on the right side. It's been symptomatic though, but wasn't that Pards statement that he was teaching everyone to recover (I remember something about HBA at least). Sometimes you gotta wonder what's going on on the training ground... no matter if Obertan was late or if Santon "missed" Jonas' cover. If you lose the ball, you do what is necessary to recover, especially if you're in the back 4 imo.

Still can't believe he didn't square that :(

Yup. When Santon got into position to take the ball on from Shola I jumped up thinking it was a goal already, having seen Cisse stay onside and be available for the tap in.

Fuck man. It's these little moments that make you wonder if we're in for a tragic season  :(

Aye, the most annoying thing he does defensively is jog back into position. Often eh just hopes the attack dissipates as the situation often looks potentially dangerous.

Colo does it too at times.

To be fair to them both, where was Perch??? He still was nowhere to be seen when Anichebe put it in the net.

I mean in general play. He was in position for goal.

Guest ItalianMagpie

Why did he not square it to Cisse was our chance to grab a point.

He's got no left foot to make that square pass.

He can make passes with his left easily. Crossing is another matter but I have seen him use his left to pass instinctively. Far more likely that he thought he was going to score.

If he's going to be our long term left back then he needs to be coached to get outside and cross with his left far more. I've never been a fan of wrong-footed wide players, but it can work as long as the player can use his wrong foot effectively. At the moment Santon doesn't, he cuts inside 9 times out of 10.

Should be back behind after training working on this everyday. His left foot is poor and he knows it hence how he tries his best never to use it.

Or maybe he should play at RB? On the other hand, that's his natural role, although everybody, and especially Pardew, seem to have forgotten it.

Why did he not square it to Cisse was our chance to grab a point.

He's got no left foot to make that square pass.

He can make passes with his left easily. Crossing is another matter but I have seen him use his left to pass instinctively. Far more likely that he thought he was going to score.

If he's going to be our long term left back then he needs to be coached to get outside and cross with his left far more. I've never been a fan of wrong-footed wide players, but it can work as long as the player can use his wrong foot effectively. At the moment Santon doesn't, he cuts inside 9 times out of 10.

Should be back behind after training working on this everyday. His left foot is poor and he knows it hence how he tries his best never to use it.

Or maybe he should play at RB? On the other hand, that's his natural role, although everybody, and especially Pardew, seem to have forgotten it.

Erm, while I agree in principle (would have liked to have seen Santon develop as a RB and bring in a LB) we are on the verge of signing a new RB, so I think he will be LB for the foreseeable.. :lol:

Yep. Stupid that he played today instead of Ferguson (or even Dummet) considering the team that we put out had very little chance of getting a result. Not only is he knackered, but if he's also low on confidence today certainly won't have helped.

Looks poor at the moment and well and truly fucked off with the world. The way he fouled out of frustration at Arsenal and then today when he kicked the ball away. Also noticed when he was walking back to the line for one of their corners his head and shoulders were slumped and he was going on about something to himself in a pissed off manner.

* Body language expert :)