Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Guest bimpy474

Was the cross leading to the first goal from his left or right foot?

Right, as he cut in on it.

:thup:

Santon had a good game including 2 nice assists. I was kinda surprised Ivanovic didn't shepherd him to the outside for his 2nd assist though. If he had done a bit of research he would have realised Santon pretty much can't cross with his leftie.

You weren't supposed to read that :lol:

Guest bimpy474

Aye, it's the defensive side of his game that is the problem, but at his age, playing in our league which is usually hard to adjust to for an Italian. I think the lad is doing fine, and he's going to mint when he really matures.

He's top drawer when he plays like today. Most of the time he's promising and nothing else. For all his forays forward, there's been next to no end product in all of his time here, usually coupled with shakiness at the back. All in all I think he flatters to deceive a lot of the time, but when he gets it right like today, he's an absolutely vital player. Once he becomes more consistent, he can go on to be an exceptional full-back.

He gets caught out, that seems to be his problem in defense. He's a pretty good tackler and good in the air as well.

Individually he's a good defender its positional sense he has problems with sometimes but i'm quite confident that will come.

How many fullbacks are the finished article at his age? most fullbacks reach their peak around 26-28, Baines for example wasn't half the player he is now at Santon's age.

Also needs Jonas to hold his hand apparently :yao:

He gets caught out, that seems to be his problem in defense. He's a pretty good tackler and good in the air as well.

Individually he's a good defender its positional sense he has problems with sometimes but i'm quite confident that will come.

How many fullbacks are the finished article at his age? most fullbacks reach their peak around 26-28, Baines for example wasn't half the player he is now at Santon's age.

Also needs Jonas to hold his hand apparently :yao:

He was up for today thats for sure. He just needs to continue to work on his decision making in the final 3rd when he's bombing down the left. He tends to cut in and do a little hop into a player and boom they counter and he's caught out.

He fixes that side of his game (over time) and continues to craft his defensive side - then hell, we have a top top player that everyone saw could develop into when he was putting in ridiculous performances for Inter before he fell out of form

2 assists yesterday mainly brought about by changes in what was going on round him than anything he's changed. The ability has always been there but yesterday he had much more and better options to play to.

Let's not forget he was arguably our best player in the first 8 games, along with Ba and Ben Arfa.

Players like him will always look worse when the teams not winning, because he's a risk taker.

He's not far off Debuchys level, and he's much younger.

I'd like to see Santon vary his play, he cuts in too much.

I think he is a better player than Debuchy, anyway by judging his matches here. Santon may be monotonic with his attacking play but I think he should keep doing it anyway because I definitely think he has developed in that area the last season. He is shooting more when in good areas, and he has a good shot on him, and he opens up so much space with dangerous passes around the penalty area when cutting in, I mean those assist was just beautiful. And even if he most of the time does the same thing none can´t stop him :lol: could still improve his passing and decision making, but trust me he will. Definitely a better attacking player than defender but I can´t help it, I always get so exited when he gets the ball at his feet and just drives forward like a shot :aww:

I sure will miss him when he leave in the summer, because sadly I can´t see him stay, even if I don´t want anything else.

Guest loven Mag 11

That volley from the edge of the box was lovely, only 2 foot wide of the post aswell. Hes getting closer and closer.