Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Guest palnese

Yeah, he has his faults and hasn't shown great form over the last few months, but I still love watching him play. So calm on the ball, so graceful.

A wonderful talent.

Think Haidara should be given a few games instead but Pardew may make the call that that could damage Santon mentally too much I dunno

Pardew is very good at handling left out players.

Just explain why he is doing it and how it will make Santon a better player and it would be hard to disagree with imo.

Agreed for all Pardew's faults and there are plentiful of them, he is very good at the man management malarkey.

Didn't think he was actually that bad today. Defended well on the whole although he was obviously caught out for the second goal. As Disco mentioned though, others should be looking to fill in when he does go forward (same goes for Debuchy too). We have two fullbacks now who like to get forward, Tiote in particular has to be switched on and not wander too far forward when they do so as he should be the first one looking to drop in for them.

Didn't think he was actually that bad today. Defended well on the whole although he was obviously caught out for the second goal. As Disco mentioned though, others should be looking to fill in when he does go forward (same goes for Debuchy too). We have two fullbacks now who like to get forward, Tiote in particular has to be switched on and not wander too far forward when they do so as he should be the first one looking to drop in for them.

Agree think we need Tiote to play a role similar to Phil Neville at Everton in filling in for the full backs when they go forward. This will be especially important for us to remain defensively tight with HBA hopefully coming back in to replace Jonas.

When he goes forward, he jogs back... slowly.

Agree completey, he lost the ball on the halfway line and didn't bother at all to track back, he does this too often for my liking. I love him going forward but he is getting caught out too ften of late!!!

Guest neesy111

defensivly poor today, attacking average.

would put haidara in next week. not because of todays performance but we could do with a more solid , more orthodox full back in this sort of game.

Agreed.  Every game I watch him recently I come away with him being not defensively being good.

Might have been average but he still set one up.

could have been crap and set one up. surely it's how he plays overall ?

I'd take him getting an assist every game as being 'attacking average'. You said it, not me.

Might have been average but he still set one up.

could have been crap and set one up. surely it's how he plays overall ?

I'd take him getting an assist every game as being 'attacking average'. You said it, not me.

jeez dave i doubt it. he was defenensivly very poor today and could have cost us more.

it's up to you if you want to go by what we got away with, blinding yourself to to what we got away with....santon was cack defensivly.

What did he do that contributed to him being 'very poor' defensively?

caught out of position loads, even when he knew that position was getting targeted.

I don't have a great issue with that if it's due to coming back from an attack, as has been mentioned it's the responsibility of others to slot in for him too - that's something we have to work on as a team. Thought he generally mopped things up fairly well, especially in the first half. Wasn't amazing or anything but certainly don't think he was very poor either.

What did he do that contributed to him being 'very poor' defensively?

caught out of position loads, even when he knew that position was getting targeted.

I don't have a great issue with that if it's due to coming back from an attack, as has been mentioned it's the responsibility of others to slot in for him too - that's something we have to work on as a team. Thought he generally mopped things up fairly well, especially in the first half. Wasn't amazing or anything but certainly don't think he was very poor either.

i differ. for me  it wasn't often when he'd been attacking (as in their third, more so not getting back from the middle third)

also it's not a general thing, just today.