Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

Bertrand or Gibbs would be excellent for us. They probably won’t be too expensive too given that the top teams have this position filled. I could see Everton going for one of them but we should try. They’re both better than Dummett and also tick the English box. Also both proven in the league so it’s lower risk.

Of the current bottom three I'd take any of the following

Southampton

Davis

Dušan Tadić

James Ward-Prowse

Mario Lemina

Sofiane Boufal

Ryan Bertrand

Nathan Redmond

Cédric Soares

Jack Stephens

Stoke

Choupo-Moting

Jese

Diouf

Shaqiri

West Brom

Jonny Evans

Chadli

Jay Rodriguez

Rondon

how many of them actually improve our first team significantly? bertrand probably, evans maybe, lemina maybe, cedric probably...the rest would be squad players imo

you could argue the likes of rodriguez/rondon etc. would improve on gayle but we should simply be aiming for better than their level anyway so it'd be backup again

Shaqiri easily

think we've been through it, not rafa player you'd imagine?  lets hope we sign kenedy for the left so he'd replace ritchie?  not sure rafa could deal with that lack of workrate

talent wise though aye

Of the current bottom three I'd take any of the following

Southampton

Davis

Dušan Tadić

James Ward-Prowse

Mario Lemina

Sofiane Boufal

Ryan Bertrand

Nathan Redmond

Cédric Soares

Jack Stephens

Stoke

Choupo-Moting

Jese

Diouf

Shaqiri

West Brom

Jonny Evans

Chadli

Jay Rodriguez

Rondon

Half the players on that list would be a disaster. Stephens and jese? Seriously?

Southampton are in the relegation zone for a reason

I don't know that there are any on that list the balance between being a significant enough upgrade to invest in as well as providing value for money. (Not to mention Rafa's approval.)

Take Bertrand; a very good player, and better than Dummett (much as I love this new version). But he'd cost stacks of cash, and is it worth spending all that cash on a player who is, yes, an upgrade, but not that much of an improvement to justify the expenditure? Cedric over Yedlin is a tougher call, but it seems Rafa really likes Yedlin. There aren't many others I'd want to spend the asking price on.

Players at relegated clubs usually go with massively over-inflated fees don't they? (Sissoko sic)

Can't see anyone on that list that is worth the risk tbh. Go in for Mata, he's out of favour. Ensure we get Kenedy, even for another year, go out and buy Europe's top goalscorer etc ;-)

Soton fans hate Cedric, Redmond and Tadic. Alot of them also want 33-year-old Steven Davis in midfield over Lemina and Hojberg which says alot.

Of the 3 relegated teams I would only want Shaqiri. Even that is under the consideration he could adopt our "team first" philosophy over his occasional maverick greed.

With Sissoko coming off the bench for Spurs the other day, do we still get the appearance fee we agreed upon? Should help our transfer budget heaps, which is why I always cheer when he's brought on.

With Sissoko coming off the bench for Spurs the other day, do we still get the appearance fee we agreed upon? Should help our transfer budget heaps, which is why I always cheer when he's brought on.

It's 6mil a year regardless, isn't it?. Well unless he's sold and they can cut their losses.

Guest Howaythetoon

Soton fans hate Cedric, Redmond and Tadic. Alot of them also want 33-year-old Steven Davis in midfield over Lemina and Hojberg which says alot.

Of the 3 relegated teams I would only want Shaqiri. Even that is under the consideration he could adopt our "team first" philosophy over his occasional maverick greed.

Southampton have looked like us under McClaren for most of the season, players going through the motions etc. Only player I’d have from them is Ward Prowse in place of Hayden as a squad player and Bertrand.

• 2 weeks later...

If under Ashley:

Rafa new contract

Key First Teamers

Lascelles, Lejeune, Shelvey, Ritchie

Key Loanees to buy

Kenedy, Dubravka

Key squad players

Yedlin, Dummett, Diame, Merino, Perez

Squad Players

Darlow, Clark, Murphy, Gayle, Hayden, Atsu

Free transfers

Gamez, Good, Haidara

Sell

Sels, Mbemba, Mitro, Joselu, Colcack, Lazaar, Saivet, Aarons (hopefully get close to £30m in for these if Mitro goes for £15m, Mbemba £6-7m)

Loan out

Woodman, Armstrong, Sterry, Barlaser, Gillead

Buys/Loans

Striker, No.10, CM, LB, Backup CB

Plus some clever cheap deals to improve the backup squad (e.g. Rondon's relegation clause would be a cheap upgrade on Joselu, Cabaye on a free would be an upgrade on Colcack, etc...)

Don't really think that's too unreasonable if the tv money is available. Surely they have to get players in earlier this summer too with the window shutting before the season starts

From what we've all seen before, even if by some miracle we get to break our transfer record, it's the wages that'll fuck it up next. There will always be an excuse to spend little, as always with this cunt.

Guest Howaythetoon

If we are to seriously kick on next season, we need to replace our entire midfield and attack and get the ‘keeper and Kennedy in permanently. As good as Diame, Shelvey, Ritchie and Perez have all been lately, they are bang average. We badly need someone who will get 10-15 league goals up front, a creative playmaker to link midfield and attack and someone who can also get goals from midfield. Next season will be much tougher than this one which is one of the worst season’s in a while when it comes to the quality of teams and players fielded in those teams. The is a good chance we will finish 10th which is great for us, but telling of the league at current and teams around us. Burnley could finish 7th and while they have done very well, they are an average side.