Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

Berahino anyone? He’s another when he was playing well would have been a good fit for Rafa. There is still a good player in there and we would probably get him cheap.

You might be right that there's still a player with ability there, but we shouldn't be at the point now where the only way we can afford players of that quality (15+ goals a season) is by 'gambling' on a player with some kind of baggage.

Whilst most transfers are a risk to some extent, we should now be able to afford someone, like a Slimani, where there's more expectation than hope. We'll see....

for literal pennies if rafa thought he could get something out of the lad i'd say why not but the fee would have to be virtually non-existent

He doesn't even strike me as a 'Rafa' type player anyway.

for literal pennies if rafa thought he could get something out of the lad i'd say why not but the fee would have to be virtually non-existent

no but what rafa wants rafa should get...don't see him having the attitude or workrate myself

no but what rafa wants rafa should get...don't see him having the attitude or workrate myself

Agreed.

Silly idea - get back to shark wanking HTT.

It’s a strange one. I wanted half the team replaced around January but now, different questions. Can Diame keep this form into next season? He’s been outstanding. We’d have to spend 30m on a player who’s doing the same job.. (I’m not saying Diame is worth 30m but he’s playing like a player who should cost that)

Shelvey, again.. poor for quite a long time. His success now seems to be linked to Diame doing the donkey work for him. Would keep and extend his contract.

Dummett has shown he can perform. New contract. He needs decent back up in case he gets injured again.

Yedlin could probably be upgraded for someone else but again, would anyone else put the same sort of shift in?

Perez finally seems to have found his best position, Ritchie could be upgraded but same as Yedlin, hard to find someone who would make the same sort of effort. Plus Jacob Murphy should hopefully improve.

Assuming we can keep Lascelles and Lejeune, all that Rafa has to do this summer is get some better backup for LB & RB and sort out the attack.

If he’s looking at a different central midfielder, I think Merino could be sold 😔 I suspect he’s not settled here and wants away.

Gayle should be sold on. As will Mitro and he might sell Joselu as well, similar to how he got rid of Daryl Murphy. Rafa can be cold like that..

So that’s 3 forwards and a left winger we need to sign along with any other squad players that could come in.

Chelsea might let Kenedy go for 20m, Slimani could cost the same (seems worth it though) and god knows what we’d have to pay for a pacey forward who can score..

Keeping Lascelles is more important than any other signing we might make.

Of the current bottom three I'd take any of the following

Southampton

Davis

Dušan Tadić

James Ward-Prowse

Mario Lemina

Sofiane Boufal

Ryan Bertrand

Nathan Redmond

Cédric Soares

Jack Stephens

Stoke

Choupo-Moting

Jese

Diouf

Shaqiri

West Brom

Jonny Evans

Chadli

Jay Rodriguez

Rondon

33 year old Steven Davis?

Wonder if any Prem teams will gamble on Grealish if Villa don't come up

Grealish.. poor sap. He turned down playing for Ireland after representing them at U21’s thinking he was gonna be some sort of superstar for England. Funny how things work out.

Southampton

Davis

Dušan Tadić

James Ward-Prowse

Mario Lemina

Sofiane Boufal

Ryan Bertrand

Nathan Redmond

Cédric Soares

Jack Stephens

Stoke

Choupo-Moting

Jese

Diouf

Shaqiri

West Brom

Jonny Evans

Chadli

Jay Rodriguez

Rondon

how many of them actually improve our first team significantly? bertrand probably, evans maybe, lemina maybe, cedric probably...the rest would be squad players imo

you could argue the likes of rodriguez/rondon etc. would improve on gayle but we should simply be aiming for better than their level anyway so it'd be backup again

the thing we have to consider now, and i'm sure rafa will be, is that he's managed to get a bunch of championship players to top half and pushing for more

there is no point in signing more of the same type of player for next season just because we can snap them up cheap, we should be looking to make a next step a la kenedy/slimani types wherever we can

Southampton

Davis

Dušan Tadić

James Ward-Prowse

Mario Lemina

Sofiane Boufal

Ryan Bertrand

Nathan Redmond

Cédric Soares

Jack Stephens

Stoke

Choupo-Moting

Jese

Diouf

Shaqiri

West Brom

Jonny Evans

Chadli

Jay Rodriguez

Rondon

how many of them actually improve our first team significantly? bertrand probably, evans maybe, lemina maybe, cedric probably...the rest would be squad players imo

you could argue the likes of rodriguez/rondon etc. would improve on gayle but we should simply be aiming for better than their level anyway so it'd be backup again

Shaqiri easily