Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

We don't need to "seriously kick on" next season for me as long as we build and improve with a purpose. I don't think we need new central midfielders for next season. Diame, Shelvey, Merino and Hayden are good players that compliment each other well. We don't need central defenders next season either. Lascelles, Lejuene, Clarke and Mbemba are also good players that compliment each other.

Main focus should be to get the striker we need for Rafas system.

Second priority should be to get Dubravka and Kennedy permanently signed.

After that, any action that improves us is a bonus for me. If we manage the three first priorities, I would personally like to see competition for Perez, and then full back positions.

We don't need to "seriously kick on" next season for me as long as we build and improve with a purpose. I don't think we need new central midfielders for next season. Diame, Shelvey, Merino and Hayden are good players that compliment each other well. We don't need central defenders next season either. Lascelles, Lejuene, Clarke and Mbemba are also good players that compliment each other.

After that, any action that improves us is a bonus for me. If we manage the three first priorities, I would personally like to see competition for Perez, and then full back positions.

I agree that midfield isn't the biggest priority, but one sobering thought is that even with the three loan signings we've looked fairly mediocre. The likes of Hayden, Perez, Ritchie, Yedlin etc are all decent enough squad fillers, but we will need a substantial injection of quality in the first team.

Guest Howaythetoon

I can’t see Rafa being happy with another relegation fight/mid-table finish or fans even. If we go into next season with the vast majority of this team it will be another hard slog, we need to improve 3-4 positions for me in the starting 11. A goalscorer that also fits Rafa’s system would obviously help transform us alone, but we need more in midfield IMO. I’m least worried about defence, although Yedlin needs replaced in that back-four as he’s now the weakest link, but that’s kind of nit picking really.

Guest Howaythetoon

I agree that midfield isn't the biggest priority, but one sobering thought is that even with the three loan signings we've looked fairly mediocre. The likes of Hayden, Perez, Ritchie, Yedlin etc are all decent enough squad fillers, but we will need a substantial injection of quality in the first team.

Shelvey is having arguably his best season and although he’s playing well, statistically his goals and assists record isn’t the best. Diame is playing out of his skin, but can he keep it up? Ritchie is having decent second half of the season, but it’s clear he’s an average player at this level. I think we need a major overhaul in midfield. Our defence is fine and while we don’t score many goals, we don’t get much possession and we are quite pedestrian in midfield. I know Rafa’s system, tactics etc. are also a part of that, but I feel it’s more the players he has at his disposal that dictates how we set up and play.

:thup:

The idea that we should replace our entire midfield is mental like, we need an attacker(s) & full backs more. Our midfield is relatively balanced & contains quality, youth & experience.

Totally agree with this.

Nah we are still short of real quality in central defence and of creativity in midfield.

Agree that striker(s) are definite priorities along with full backs and trying to ensure we get Kenedy (I'm assuming Dubravka is a gimme), but lets not kid ourselves that we have enough in the other areas.

It will take maybe two/ three windows to address all the squad deficiencies imo.

Aye but that was his point, we don't need to try and do it all in one go. Don't agree with central defence mind, the Lascelles/Lejeune partnership is coming along quite nicely (Lejeune has been quietly impressive since coming back into the side IMO) and the others are reasonable backup.

Replacing Shelvey with a creative midfielder just wouldn't be cost effective. You'd be paying the highest price for the smallest gain. He's putting Gayle through loads and Gayle's just most of the time not even getting a shot away.

Assuming we don't sign Kenedy we need a new front 4 before we even thinking about replacing Jonjo.

Can't find the exact stats I'm looking for, but from the stuff I have seen on xG, a top quality striker would make a massive difference to our team.  Not a huge problem with our attacking play save that we don't score enough.  Even in a dreadful performance against WBA, we still created enough to win relatively comfortably.

Oot:

Gamez - free

Haidara - free

Colback - whatever

Saivet - whatever

Selz - whatever

Aarons - whatever

Mitrovic - £20 million

Gayle - £10 million

Darlow - £3 million

Elliot - £2 million (one or the other, maybe both)

Mbemba - £8 million

Personally wouldn't let Mbemba go, but reckon there's a chance he will if we can get close to what we signed him for back as I don't think Rafa rates him at all. That'd bring in £45 million or so. If the club were to match that as a budget you're looking at between £90-100 million for surgery.

Bring in:

Dubravka - £5 million

Kenedy - £15 million

Striker - £25 million

#10 - £20 million

Left back - £10 million

Right back - £10 million

Promising CB - £10 million

Some backup Spanish jobber GK - free

That'd be a good summer. Could be even better with a bit more investment and some bargain buys ala Merino last summer.

Can't find the exact stats I'm looking for, but from the stuff I have seen on xG, a top quality striker would make a massive difference to our team.  Not a huge problem with our attacking play save that we don't score enough.  Even in a dreadful performance against WBA, we still created enough to win relatively comfortably.

We've all seen that with our eyes, Gayle and Joselu have missed so many chances it's unreal. Even during or terrible run we were still creating chances. New striker is everything. Better number ten would be outstanding as well.

The issue is gonna be doing major surgery to the side with a shortened transfer window, a World Cup and a load of players to shift out. But it's certainly doable if the club is proactive with Rafa.

:yao:

The issue is gonna be doing major surgery to the side with a shortened transfer window, a World Cup and a load of players to shift out. But it's certainly doable if the club is proactive with Rafa.

And months of uncertainty about the club's ownership...

And months of uncertainty about the club's ownership...

True. There is a lot to be done to that squad.

Out:

Elliot

Haidara

Gamez

Manquillo

Joselu

Slimani (obviously)

Gayle

And close to all of our remaining players should only 2nd choice.

Better start now, Ashley  :knuppel2: