Rooney vs Shearer

ponsaelius

That Shearer goal away from Inter from Bellamy's cross is exactly what I'm talking about. The effort Shearer puts in to make sure he gets in front of Zanetti to get the ball, it shows how determined he was to score at all costs. Rooney just doesn't do that as a goalscorer.

Hard to compare juxtaposed but if someone asked me who I wanted in my XI, an at peak Rooney or an at peak Shearer, Shearer would win every day of the week.

At his peak Shearer wasn't even playing the game he was just laughing at mere mortals & don't forget Rooney has played in better teams practically all his career and is yet to do it for England...

Rooney is IMO playing against far better defences week in, week out than Shearer did though. [/nottakinganythingaway]

That's not true at all tbh.

What? :lol:

That Shearer goal away from Inter from Bellamy's cross is exactly what I'm talking about. The effort Shearer puts in to make sure he gets in front of Zanetti to get the ball, it shows how determined he was to score at all costs. Rooney just doesn't do that as a goalscorer.

Even in his later years that would happen. He was much slower and up against often younger more athletic defenders but he seemed to react quicker.

Hard to compare juxtaposed but if someone asked me who I wanted in my XI, an at peak Rooney or an at peak Shearer, Shearer would win every day of the week.

At his peak Shearer wasn't even playing the game he was just laughing at mere mortals & don't forget Rooney has played in better teams practically all his career and is yet to do it for England...

Rooney is IMO playing against far better defences week in, week out than Shearer did though. [/nottakinganythingaway]

IMO defences these days are a bit better than 10 year ago. Not rocket science.

Personally I think Shearer is obviously a tad overrated on here, which is not surprising at all really. :lol:

Yes, at his peak Shearer was better than Rooney has ever been as a pure striker, but Rooney still has many years left, and I don´t think we´ve even seen him peak yet. If I was asked to pick either Shearer in his peak, or Rooney at his best form we´ve seen so far, I´d take Shearer. However I´d gamble on Rooney if I´d have to pick either Shearer at his peak or Rooney today as he has the potential to be better than Shearer ever was.

Other than scoring goals and heading the ball, Rooney is better than Shearer ever was at everything else, and he still has time to improve.

Other than scoring goals and heading the ball, Rooney is better than Shearer ever was at everything else, and he still has time to improve.

No chance.  Shearer 94/97 was the perfect centre forward.  He had absolutey everything in his locker.

I would say Shearer at Newcastle is slightly over-rated like, he was an exelent centre forward but his injuries obviosly affected him and he had to change his game. At Blackburn though (and before his first injury at Newcastle) he was unplayable.

I think everyone will agree with you on that. I've not known a single person to say Shearer was the same player that we bought after his injury in '97.

Some poor Italian was selling cartons of juice from a tray  in front of me when that goal went in. All of his wares went flying and so did he.

Just watching his dart down the wing to set Ferdinand up in the 5-0 again, f***ing ridiulous for a centre forward to be honest, the cross aswell.

"Well, how does he work the ball in from there? I mean Stanley Matthews at his best couldn't do that." :smug:

Like some of you have said, Shearer at his peak was the complete centre forward. He had just about everything you'd want for a striker to have (and more).

Rooney is a different sort of player really, he's not the traditional centre forward so to speak but he's still a phenomenal player. His ability atm is unrivaled to others who play in his position.

I would definitely take Shearer at his peak over Rooney.

Today's equivalent of the early to mid 90's Premiership would be about 12-13 teams from the current Championship, 6-7 teams from the current lower-mid table, and 1-3 sides from the top six/seven. That Blackburn title winning side for example would have to fight hard to finish in the top 8 imo, let alone the top 4. Shearer therefore was at his peak in a much easier era than Rooney...

Guest Haris Vuckic

^ Well that's one way if seeing it. Wonder what Dresden and Ronaldo would say about this.

Yeh because those guys are really clued up :lol:

Guest Haris Vuckic

Today's equivalent of the early to mid 90's Premiership would be about 12-13 teams from the current Championship, 6-7 teams from the current lower-mid table, and 1-3 sides from the top six/seven. That Blackburn title winning side for example would have to fight hard to finish in the top 8 imo, let alone the top 4. Shearer therefore was at his peak in a much easier era than Rooney...

Give your head a shake you dizzy wombat!

How can you even remotely substantiate your ramblings!

No chance.  Shearer 94/97 was the perfect centre forward.  He had absolutey everything in his locker.

Other than what I´ve already listed, please inform me what Shearer at his peak is better at than todays Rooney.

I´d also like to throw in the arugement that Rooney doesn´t have the same tactical assignments as Shearer had. I think Rooney would score more goals if Ferguson allowed him to have the same role in Man Utd as Shearer had in Blackburn and here.

Other than what I´ve already listed, please inform me what Shearer at his peak is better at than todays Rooney.

I´d also like to throw in the arugement that Rooney doesn´t have the same tactical assignments as Shearer had. I think Rooney would score more goals if Ferguson allowed him to have the same role in Man Utd as Shearer had in Blackburn and here.

Personally I don't think Rooney has the discipline to play the role shearer did. Basically because if things aren't going well Rooney will try and drop deep and run the game, rather than being the out and out striker.

Doesn't mean I think one is better than the other, I just don't think Wayne can play the number 9 role well.

Scoring and heading is extremely vague.  Both of those involve a lot of different things.

Shearer was better at shooting in the box and from distance, free kicks, penalties, holding off defenders, winning flick ons, getting on the end of things, bringing others into play. 

Basically, every requirement necessary to be a top class centre forward Shearer was better at.

Not to mention he was a lot mentally tougher than Rooney.  Shearer was a true leader on the pitch, Rooney has shown himself to be petulant and throws his toys out the pram when things don't go his way.  He needs to mature.

Rooney's looking sexual atm, but if you'd asked this 9 months ago when he barely looked like a league 1 player...

99/9% wasn't you but who was that knacker on here who said he didn't want to Rooney in and England XI?

Rupert.

tbf he looked really awful for a while. First touch was atrocious. He's been in really good form for a while though, finished the end of last season playing a far more expansive and creative game in his new deep lying role and he's gotten even better now. Think having players who can play one-touch football like Welbeck, Young and Cleverley alongside him as opposed to Carrick, Hernandez and Valencia has helped a bit. Not saying the latter three aren't as good, but Carrick takes his time on the ball, Hernandez doesn't have as much to his game and Valencia is primarily just a traditional winger.

IMO defences these days are a bit better than 10 year ago. Not rocket science.

no , attacker are more protected and easier to score now IMO . 10 years ago, defenders allowed to throw in some tough tackles but they'd be booked/sent off now.

Both have (had) their qualities, both are (were) world class. Rooney could still be getting better tbh. I even think he has improved since his great 09/10 campaign were he scored for fun.

No he's scoring for fun but, also he's the old Rooney again who's beeing everywhere on the pitch.

For me though, it's isn't to compare those two, different types of players imo.

How good would be a strike-partnership of today's Rooney with the 1996 Shearer?  :smitten: