Aston Villa v NUFC - Sat 17th September 3PM

wormy

I'm not sure about Marveaux in the centre yet, can he hold up the ball and spray passes past the backline well? I haven't seen him enough for that at present so maybe wrong, that lineup reminds me of England's present set up, fair amount of attacking threat in the midfield but noone who can keep the ball up in between an opponents midfield and defence, (at least while Wilshere is out).

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He looked to have a good passing range and skill on the ball at Scunthorpe. Haven't seen anything else of him though, I'd say it's worth trying.

I'm not sure about Marveaux in the centre yet, can he hold up the ball and spray passes past the backline well? I haven't seen him enough for that at present so maybe wrong, that lineup reminds me of England's present set up, fair amount of attacking threat in the midfield but noone who can keep the ball up in between an opponents midfield and defence, (at least while Wilshere is out).

For me that's Ben Arfa's position but we should be setting the team up to play that way in anticipation of him coming back, for various reasons i think marveuax's the best option, he looks tidy in possession and with distribution and looks pretty mobile too.

The following 9 have got to start for me:

Krul

Simpson

Santon

Tiote

Coloccini

Taylor

Marveaux

Cabaye

Best

Santon has got to come in for Taylor, thats obvious.

Might just be me but I was not at all impressed with Obertan - seems to disappear for half an hour at a time, and I didn't think he tracked back well enough either, which isnt really on. Seen enough from Marveaux to want to see him start.

Best is our form striker - also thought he was also our best player in the first half v QPR (not saying a great deal though) would start ahead of Ba imo.

After that its two from Ba / Gosling / Jonas / Obertan.

I'd go with Jonas and Gosling. Don't think he'll go with 2 strikers after Monday so not Ba. Gosling is needed to beef up the midfield after Tiote's slightly concerning performances and its Jonas ahead of Obertan for me. So:

Krul

Simpson  Taylor        Coloccini    Santon

Marveaux  Tiote  Cabaye  Gosling  Jonas

Best

is my line up. Mightn't be that exciting but can add a bit to the attack after the hour mark with Obertan, Ba, and Sammy if neccessary and shouldnt get pummelled in midfield like we did on Monday night.

Granted you've solidified the midfield in theory but who out of Tiote, Cabaye and Gosling is going to link with Best consistently?

What's Villa's likely line up?

........................Freidel......................

Hutton.....Dunne.....Collins....Warnock

Albrighton..Petrov....Jenas.....N'Zogbia

...........Agbonlahor...Bent...................

Is that about right?

If so i think i would consider

....................Krul......................

Simmo..Saylor...Colo.....Santon

Jonas..Cabaye.Tiote.Marveaux

.................Obertan.................

...................Best.......................

Obertan isn't showing much form but he's there to stretch them and drop into midfield if needed.

Jonas helps Simmo out. Marveaux and Santon mean we can cross from the left or the right foot from that wing.

Blah blah.

I've always been a fan of 4411. But against QPR of all teams their shape and movement was fantastic, they completely overan us with their 3 in center midfield to our 2, despite our players being better. So its made me realise there is actually alot of positives to a 433.

I've thought for a while this should be our line up:

Krul

Simpson  Taylor  Colo  Santon

Marveaux Cabaye  Tiote  Jonas

S am/ Ben Arfa

Ba/Best

However Maybe this has better merits to it:

Krul

Simpson  Taylor  Colo  Santon

Tiote

Cabaye          Marveaux

Jonas                                Sammy/Ben Arfa

Ba/Best

We certainly at the very least need to be able to revert to something similar to this if what happened at QPR happens again. Our results have been flattering due mainly to our hard work, keeper and very impressive deffence but we have been out played by most of the teams we have played so far especially those with three in the middle and we have certainly ridden our luck at times.

I can see what Pardew was thinking to an extent. Tiote and Cabaye are so good, we may get away with playing only two in the center and then he can play two up front. However their three man midfield totally dominated. Pardew knows and admitted its back to the drawing board as he needs three in midfield now.

If we went for a 433 it may bring the best out in alot of our players. Tiote sits there and breaks up everything he can. It allows the creative Cabaye and Marveaux to get forward picking passes to the quick breaking Ben Arfa (or Sammy when he's injured/rested) and Jonas on his right side which should improve his crossing. Jonas also gets back well to help out Simpson.

When attacking Santon and/or Simpson can push up so we are almost a 253 type of formation. Ben arfa and sammy would score alot of goals and create from their position. Marveaux and Cabaye should feel able to get further forward at times to help score goals especially when they have just passed to Ben Arfa/Sammy and Jonas they should be breaking forward looking to get into a foward position looking for the return pass.

Not sure who's better out of Ba and Best yet. Best can certainly do an okish job for us until we get someone better. Ba could possibly be better than Best, in this 433 kind of formation which may suit him much better. All he'd have to do is stay forward, central and get on the end of the crosses/passes coming his way just like Jay Boothroyd luckily failled miserably doing against us.

When defending we are almost reverting to a 451. The hard working Jonas we already know will muck in there. Sammy and Ben Arfa may also be better than some think. Ba can come back for set plays.

Good cover in places too with Gosling and Guthrie in midfield and Mehdi could cover either midfield or possibly the two forward wide areas with Obertan.

Shola shoulden't really get a look in in this hard working type of formation and would currently probably be third choice for the striker slot

Going off Pardew's comments the other night, we will be going 4-5-1/4-3-3, he also said we where poor going forward, whilst saying we improved after we made the changes, this would suggest Marv will start.

If we go 4-5-1/4-3-3, and Santon plays LB, i think we will sneak this 0-1.

I think we may sneak this one, if we don't play Shola and Raylor.  I feel Nzogbia will tear Raylor apart as he had a hard time with SWP on Monday night. If he plays Marveaux and Santon I am pretty sure we may have the quality to beat them.

The following 9 have got to start for me:

Krul

Simpson

Santon

Tiote

Coloccini

Taylor

Marveaux

Cabaye

Best

Santon has got to come in for Taylor, thats obvious.

Might just be me but I was not at all impressed with Obertan - seems to disappear for half an hour at a time, and I didn't think he tracked back well enough either, which isnt really on. Seen enough from Marveaux to want to see him start.

Best is our form striker - also thought he was also our best player in the first half v QPR (not saying a great deal though) would start ahead of Ba imo.

After that its two from Ba / Gosling / Jonas / Obertan.

I'd go with Jonas and Gosling. Don't think he'll go with 2 strikers after Monday so not Ba. Gosling is needed to beef up the midfield after Tiote's slightly concerning performances and its Jonas ahead of Obertan for me. So:

Krul

Simpson  Taylor        Coloccini    Santon

Marveaux  Tiote  Cabaye  Gosling  Jonas

Best

is my line up. Mightn't be that exciting but can add a bit to the attack after the hour mark with Obertan, Ba, and Sammy if neccessary and shouldnt get pummelled in midfield like we did on Monday night.

Pretty much spot on. Gosling linking with Best for me. Really don't rate Obertan. Don't think it will happen though.

Cant understand why people still want to see Jonas on the left. He has no end product whatsoever.

I appreciate he can bring the ball out of defence, but this usually only relieves the pressure for seconds as the ball is very quickly given back to the other team allowing them to attack again.

Give Marveaux a try or even let young Fergie have a run.

We desperately need some creativity and ammunition for our forwards and he has consistently proved that he can do neither.

Lotus - Friedel went to Spurs & Villa bought Shay Given from Man City!

HaHa!!! Of course. Sorry, i've even watched them with Given in goal this season.

Apart from that glaring error, you reckon that's their likely line up?