Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I don't think getting relegated will make him more likely to sell at all.

To be honest, it will make it harder. He has his price and that won't change - who is going to pay such a phenomenal amount for a has-been failing Championship club?

We have to be succeeding for him to sell. Which makes his decisions even more bizarre.

Absolutely this, said it all along.

Now that it looks like relegation is almost 100% confirmed I'm veering more and more towards going down again and ripping the club apart. Scatter the bits for miles and put it back together properly with people who genuinely care for the club and who put it's interests first. Keeping the current status quo will just prolong it even longer, lance the boil the quicker the better and if it means going to the arse end of the country every other week then so be it.

Supporting the club and having a bit of pride in it is far more important than following the current NUFC in the PL. I want my club back and if it needs to be virtually destroyed first then so be it. 

To be honest, it will make it harder. He has his price and that won't change - who is going to pay such a phenomenal amount for a has-been failing Championship club?

We have to be succeeding for him to sell. Which makes his decisions even more bizarre.

That makes no sense either. His primary aim is premier league exposure - he'd just keep us if successful, he just can't be arsed to do the necessary legwork. I agree he wouldn't sell it quickly as he's a stubborn arsehole but if we're down there long term is that attitude going to persist? I don't know how you can be so sure either way. So much of the motivation relies on being in the big time.

Now that it looks like relegation is almost 100% confirmed I'm veering more and more towards going down again and ripping the club apart. Scatter the bits for miles and put it back together properly with people who genuinely care for the club and who put it's interests first. Keeping the current status quo will just prolong it even longer, lance the boil the quicker the better and if it means going to the arse end of the country every other week then so be it.

Supporting the club and having a bit of pride in it is far more important than following the current NUFC in the PL. I want my club back and if it needs to be virtually destroyed first then so be it. 

This. Absolutely this.

NUFC in its current form means nothing to me. Staying in the PL won't change that

I can see lots of happy-clappers baling out this summer, if we go down. Where is the attraction for them, with no PL football? If the club starts costing him serious dosh (after a year or more down), he will have to consider putting it up for sale. People need to stop going, for the message to hit home loud and clear. There will be a begging letter of some kind, once the season is over. Season ticket 'deals', more empty lies and promises. :(

Bridge burned/ship sailed + deliberate mixup = hilarious gag.

Uh oh, someones not getting any at the minute.

Don't worry there was no passive aggression there just an explanation. I promise - and I'm up to eyes in it. Jocking the bitches, smacking the hoes 24/7

Don't worry there was no passive aggression there just an explanation. I promise - and I'm up to eyes in it. Jocking the bitches, smacking the hoes 24/7

I wasn't worried in the slightest.  :lol: :lol:

I wasn't worried in the slightest.  :lol: :lol:

Gettin' big to me fam?

That makes no sense either. His primary aim is premier league exposure - he'd just keep us if successful, he just can't be arsed to do the necessary legwork. I agree he wouldn't sell it quickly as he's a stubborn arsehole but if we're down there long term is that attitude going to persist? I don't know how you can be so sure either way. So much of the motivation relies on being in the big time.

Put it this way, if he wants £400m* then Mike Ashley is the kind of person that will still want £400m after a couple of years in the Championship (in fact, he will probably want more as we will get less income down there). He won't flog us on the cheap, he just won't - otherwise he would have done that by now.

*for the sake of argument, not saying that he does.

Put it this way, if he wants £400m* then Mike Ashley is the kind of person that will still want £400m after a couple of years in the Championship (in fact, he will probably want more as we will get less income down there). He won't flog us on the cheap, he just won't - otherwise he would have done that by now.

I hear what your saying and I don't doubt it could well be the case however that scenario hasn't played out before. Sure we went down before but he was supremely confident of a swift return. He might even feel that way again for two, three years or so if (lol) we go down this year. We've not got to a point yet where PL is a distant possibility. What I am 100% of is as long as he views a cycle of finishing low in the prem/yo-yoing as an option/possibility then he'll never leave.

Fuck it. Sounds grand to me. Give me matches in front of an empty stadium, league football international weekends and derbies with Hartlepool. Mike Ashley's Newcastle United isn't my Newcastle United, so dropping through the pyramid will hurt him more than it hurts me.

MA has never had the majority of the fanbase against him though. That's more likely to happen if we go down IMO. He bought the club to advertise SD, if his ownership becomes toxic to SD then he might think twice about waiting for the money he wants. It's up to the fanbase to drive his asking price down - boycotts, anti-SD protests whatever it takes.

Fans can be as cynical as they want with regard to protests but the fact is that the fanbase hasn't actually yet fought against MA as one, no-one knows what will happen.

I am not sure the market is there for big foreign investors now, for us or other 2nd and 3rd tier premier league teams. OK there is TV money but so much needs to be spent, with the exception of Leicester, success is not guaranteed (City/Chelsea/Man U this season).

In any event no one will pay the kind of cash Ashley would want for us. With SD struggling as well, he would want as much as possible right now, if at all.

Time to really get on his back, closely followed by Charney.

Im sorry but I totally disagree.The reason Mike Ashley hasn't "flogged" us is because we are extremely beneifical to Sports Direct as we are still in the Premier League, pretty much the most watched weekly sporting event in the world. The only reason Mike Ashley is here is to benefit Sports Direct, remember. As long as Sports Direct profit from their relationship with Newcastle, he will stay.

Now take Premier League football away from Newcastle and you take away Sports Direct's biggest benefit of the relationship. Will he take a hit for a year or two to try and get us back, of course he will, especially with the parachute payments we will receive.  However when it gets to the point we no longer benefit Sports Direct he will be gone.

As far as would he sell the club for less than £250m or whatever? He certainly will. Do you think Ashley would give a s*** about 100m (this is not even considering how much he as already made from the club, so he has probably still made a profit)? He's lost nearly 1 billion pounds off the Sports Direct shares in the last year and he couldnt give a s***. £100-200m is nothing to Ashley if he deems it not worth the hassle.

Im sorry but I totally disagree.The reason Mike Ashley hasn't "flogged" us is because we are extremely beneifical to Sports Direct as we are still in the Premier League, pretty much the most watched weekly sporting event in the world. The only reason Mike Ashley is here is to benefit Sports Direct, remember. As long as Sports Direct profit from their relationship with Newcastle, he will stay.

Now take Premier League football away from Newcastle and you take away Sports Direct's biggest benefit of the relationship. Will he take a hit for a year or two to try and get us back, of course he will, especially with the parachute payments we will receive.  However when it gets to the point we no longer benefit Sports Direct he will be gone.

As far as would he sell the club for less than £250m or whatever? He certainly will. Do you think Ashley would give a s*** about 100m (this is not even considering how much he as already made from the club, so he has probably still made a profit)? He's lost nearly 1 billion pounds off the Sports Direct shares in the last year and he couldnt give a s***. £100-200m is nothing to Ashley if he deems it not worth the hassle.

But if we're on Sky at least once a month whilst in the Championship (assuming the viewing figures will be around 300-500k), and a couple of thousand supporters from 23 other teams spread throughout the country are coming up to St James' every other week, isn't that still highly beneficial to Sports Direct in the grand scheme of things? His tat brand plastered everywhere may not have the international exposure once we're out of the Premiership, but I'd argue there's still a relatively strong domestic beneficial relationship in play. Otherwise big sponsors wouldn't bother with Championship teams.

Hence, taking your last sentance about Ashley not caring about a couple of hundred million as a premise, if NUFC in the Championship is still of some benefit to Sports Direct, surely that means he's not going to be inclined to sell?