Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Btw apologies to Madras, that was a cheap dig. You do sit on the fence a lot and sometimes I can't tell whether what you are offering forward is your own opinion/slant on things or that you are just throwing things out for the sake of it but that's probably my own fault for reading it like that. You have always been a top poster in general for me so...  :smitten:  :thup:

For my own part, I find it hard to be un-emotional about all of this because KK is my absolute hero and again, I still cannot fathom why the powers that be went on the way they did with him. It has also been extremely frustrating to see many fans, on here and off-line turn against KK or lose their respect for him over this.

Honestly, NUFC will never see such genuine folk at the club as him. Same applies to Sir Bobby and Hughton, the 3 best managers and men we've had and ever will have at our club.

When KK came here as a player, he was so embarrassed by his pay packet which was based on gates (he didn't believe he would make that much of a difference) he donated a fair percentage of it to the juniors. Bear in mind, the club were only paying him the percentage, Newcastle Breweries were paying him his real wage. He also turned down Southampton, then a top-flight club, and Man Utd to sign for us in the lowly second division because his dad was NUFC daft (a Geordie btw).

When he came here as a manager, the club couldn't afford Terry Mac's wages so he paid them himself for several months. He also bought all the juniors etc. new boots, shin pads etc. and told SJH that if the club went down he would personally guarantee his money back and he would take the club over so it wouldn't go bust.

The man f***ing loved this club like any of us does and he did so from the deep of his heart. The way those c***s treated him was a disgrace. For that alone, I could never ever forgive them.

:clap:

Guest Howaythetoon

Looks like he has an opinion to me...

Anyway. Losing a popularity contest with KK was one of the worst things that happened to Mike Ashley, and allowing it to happen was a huge mistake. You can see that a lot of the fans are yet to forgive him despite him doing a really good job for quite a long time now. With any luck he can pull the image problem round - and I suspect that a good 2013/14 would more or less do the job.

It wasn't even a popularity contest. All fans could see was a huge up turn in how the team were playing and how well we had started the season. To undermine the man responsible for all of that over some obscure agents, foreign imports and Dennis f***ing Wise showed a complete and utter lack of football nous and indeed f***ing brains. If it were Pardew and not KK fans would have kicked off all the same, although obviously not so strongly. Even today I cannot comprehend the stupidity of it all. KK in charge of this squad of players would almost certainly have us aiming for the top 4 very strongly and playing top quality football.

But they thought in their wisdom, the opinion of agents and Dennis Wise was more worthy than the man who they actually appointed to bring back the good times, times that many a fan could see around the corner... until these c***s brought it to a crashing end.

i wonder why they didn't just let Keegan get who he wanted ? would've been easier really wouldn't it ?

They did with Colo, Bassong, Jonas etc. Whether he had much say on them as players or not KK at least liked what he saw and was happy for them to sign. I think KK would have accepted some kind of compromise or middle ground but drew the line at fucking Xisco and the other player we signed. That and the Milner sale. KK is a footballing man, who has been there, seen it, done it, won it and wore the fucking t-shirt. The man knew what he was doing and who he was signing. They in-turn decided Dennis Wise knew more and could be trusted more. Which begs the question why appoint KK in the first place?!

I have my own theories...

crawler.  ;D

I agree up to a point re keegan but somethings have always irked away at me, the reasons for leaving first time round when he came out with one reason, then later another and later another when to me it just seemed like he was told he couldn't carry on spending as he had done and he didn't like it. then his behaviour at fulham with ray wilkins and until i find out who he was after before he left the second time i'll always question what was going on and finally the amount he claimed for leaving was ridiculous.

Guest Howaythetoon

I love KK but whatever his reasons for leaving back in 97 (plc, board etc) He still let us down a little by walking. Still doesn't come close to undermining what he did for us though.

He didn't though, he left this club in the best possible shape ever. Instead of living a lie and being here under false pretenses or to pick up a wage he was honest with himself and everyone else and did what he thought was the best for everyone and resigned. He left us 3rd I think and with arguably the best starting 11 in the league. Its not his fault the club made a then balls up of it all up until the appointment of Sir Bobby.

Guest neesy111

I love KK but whatever his reasons for leaving back in 97 (plc, board etc) He still let us down a little by walking. Still doesn't come close to undermining what he did for us though.

The club were happy for him to walk out in 1997 tbh.

Guest Howaythetoon

crawler.  ;D

I agree up to a point re keegan but somethings have always irked away at me, the reasons for leaving first time round when he came out with one reason, then later another and later another when to me it just seemed like he was told he couldn't carry on spending as he had done and he didn't like it. then his behaviour at fulham with ray wilkins and until i find out who he was after before he left the second time i'll always question what was going on and finally the amount he claimed for leaving was ridiculous.

I'll try and get the titles of a few books I've read about it all and its clear as day why he left first time around. He needed a break basically. The rest was just fitted in to things really. He was working 18 hours a day and took not winning the league really badly. The Fulham stuff I've heard one or two things about, it says a lot though perhaps about both men, that they are still friends and get on today.

Anyway. Losing a popularity contest with KK was one of the worst things that happened to Mike Ashley, and allowing it to happen was a huge mistake. You can see that a lot of the fans are yet to forgive him despite him doing a really good job for quite a long time now. With any luck he can pull the image problem round - and I suspect that a good 2013/14 would more or less do the job.

It wasn't even a popularity contest. All fans could see was a huge up turn in how the team were playing and how well we had started the season. To undermine the man responsible for all of that over some obscure agents, foreign imports and Dennis f***ing Wise showed a complete and utter lack of football nous and indeed f***ing brains. If it were Pardew and not KK fans would have kicked off all the same, although obviously not so strongly. Even today I cannot comprehend the stupidity of it all. KK in charge of this squad of players would almost certainly have us aiming for the top 4 very strongly and playing top quality football.

But they thought in their wisdom, the opinion of agents and Dennis Wise was more worthy than the man who they actually appointed to bring back the good times, times that many a fan could see around the corner... until these c***s brought it to a crashing end.

i wonder why they didn't just let Keegan get who he wanted ? would've been easier really wouldn't it ?

They did with Colo, Bassong, Jonas etc. Whether he had much say on them as players or not KK at least liked what he saw and was happy for them to sign. I think KK would have accepted some kind of compromise or middle ground but drew the line at f***ing Xisco and the other player we signed. That and the Milner sale. KK is a footballing man, who has been there, seen it, done it, won it and wore the f***ing t-shirt. The man knew what he was doing and who he was signing. They in-turn decided Dennis Wise knew more and could be trusted more. Which begs the question why appoint KK in the first place?!

which are ? my theory is that he wanted certain players, more than we could afford and he just dug his heels in. re milner, wasn't the story we sold him with the plan of getting schweinsteiger, then he turned back after agreeing terms etc.

Guest Howaythetoon

The club were happy for him to walk out in 1997 tbh.

That's true and that's mainly down to how controlling KK was. FS was just getting his teeth into the club and had his own ideas. KK's biggest fan and ally was always SJH and to some extent Fletcher who was at that point no longer a key member at the club either. Politics and KK needing a break caused his resignation but as always with KK he used the politics of it all to justify his departure as he would never have admitted he was knackered and needed a break. All the players from back then if asked would say KK needed a break and had to take that break tellingly.

crawler.  ;D

I'll try and get the titles of a few books I've read about it all and its clear as day why he left first time around. He needed a break basically. The rest was just fitted in to things really. He was working 18 hours a day and took not winning the league really badly. The Fulham stuff I've heard one or two things about, it says a lot though perhaps about both men, that they are still friends and get on today.

i've heard they have a "professional" relationship more so than being friends.

Guest Howaythetoon

They did with Colo, Bassong, Jonas etc. Whether he had much say on them as players or not KK at least liked what he saw and was happy for them to sign. I think KK would have accepted some kind of compromise or middle ground but drew the line at f***ing Xisco and the other player we signed. That and the Milner sale. KK is a footballing man, who has been there, seen it, done it, won it and wore the f***ing t-shirt. The man knew what he was doing and who he was signing. They in-turn decided Dennis Wise knew more and could be trusted more. Which begs the question why appoint KK in the first place?!

which are ? my theory is that he wanted certain players, more than we could afford and he just dug his heels in. re milner, wasn't the story we sold him with the plan of getting schweinsteiger, then he turned back after agreeing terms etc.

I'm off to footy soon so will post up what I think later on or perhaps tomorrow. It had nowt to do with buying this that or the other player btw, KK was sort of promised £20m a year which was modest lets be honest and he was more than happy with that.

Guest neesy111

Not a chance in hell we were in for Schweinsteiger.  Keegan was sold a lie, Keegan would had never came back unless he was promised substantial funds, hence why he did that rant after the Chelsea game.

Guest Howaythetoon

One thing about KK. Most of his best spots/buys were for little money. Think of Ali Bernarbia at City, Lee for us. Or how about Bassong? The man actually liked spotting and developing talent. He was a coach after all. The Shearers and Fowlers were offered to him. He didn't demand 15m for Shearer, he was happy with Sir Les it was the board who came to him and said do you want Shearer. Same with Fowler at City.

KK wouldn't have put up with the current system IMO. He was hands on when it came to transfers, to his credit.

Not sure KK would be cut out for modern day football or footballers. Would still have the magic in the dressing room though.

One thing about KK. Most of his best spots/buys were for little money. Think of Ali Bernarbia at City, Lee for us. Or how about Bassong? The man actually liked spotting and developing talent. He was a coach after all. The Shearers and Fowlers were offered to him. He didn't demand 15m for Shearer, he was happy with Sir Les it was the board who came to him and said do you want Shearer. Same with Fowler at City.

i'd always said he was a better coach than even he gave himself credit for but as time went on here he drifted away from that and went for the easier but more costly buying strategy. still wonder about bassong as he was classed as a shitty wise signing till he got a few games in then he became a keegan find.

Just feel like he'd love to work with Hatem, Sylvain, Moussa, Yohan, Cisse, etc. Esp Hatem.

However, I do agree he wouldn't work with this system but I just cant fathom a man being so hands-on having the time to do that much of his own scouting. Is it even possible in today's day and age? I mean, every club has their own Carr, to a bigger or lesser degree - the only difference is they haven't gotten the press or success that Graham has had.

KK wouldn't have put up with the current system IMO. He was hands on when it came to transfers, to his credit.

Not sure KK would be cut out for modern day football or footballers. Would still have the magic in the dressing room though.

I think he'd be more than happy with it if we were bringing in the calibre of players that we are now.

If anything he'd push the board to try that little bit harder on certain things whereas Pardew won't.

He was also brilliant at selling this club and city to anyone.

He'd tell him to just go out and express himself, bud. Hatem would then magically develop fantastic pace and start scoring 25 a season. He'd double his career tally in the first season alone. Gotta love KK and his long magic wand.