Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Fucking hell, poor bastard can't win. Damned if you do, damned if you dont

Tbf, I wasn't being especially critical of the recent PR stunts; just amused by the total predictability of it.

Predictable in the way that the Ashley-bashers (for want of a better term) aren't as vociferous, while the Ashley-bummers (for want of a better term) are not getting slated l, r & c for offering their optimistic views?

There's no sea change in the mood from what I can see.

I made peace with him after promotion. Other than renaming the stadium I don't think he has put a foot wrong. The vision for the club as a self sustainable entity is one I wholeheartedly agree with.

This.

Maybe the harsh treatment of the club during the start of his tenure all of the way down to relegation was what we needed.  We were seen as a soft touch for players looking for one last pay-day and we still had, in some quarters, ridiculous expectation.

Relegation tempered this massively and the perspective and expectation in the fans has changed massively.  We have far more patience as a whole as fans now that we "know our lot"

I wish I could accept that, but it would be interesting to see how much patience there would still be if we hadn't done our mad January spending spree.

(Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with fans wanting signings)

Of course there would've been discontent if we hadn't splashed out, and rightly so. Without the better late than never investment , we would've almost certainly been relegated.

Guest icemanblue

the question is that if an offer came in for the club that MA found acceptable, would you want him to take it?

Yes.

Wouldn't you even want to know who the new owners were?

It's neesy, man. Just let him post his bit, then the thread moves on.

In answer to the question, without more information, no. I like the way we're going at the minute.

Guest neesy111

If anyone puts in an offer that Ashley is prepared to accept then it'll be a serious offer imo, above 250m it what it'll take for ashley to accept.

If anyone puts in an offer that Ashley is prepared to accept then it'll be a serious offer imo, above 250m it what it'll take for ashley to accept.

Well that doesn't sound so good. :(

The new owner (let's call him, oh, I don't know... Mr Moat?) would have to do some serious asset stripping to get that kind of outlay back.

Guest neesy111

Well that doesn't sound so good. :(

The new owner (let's call him, oh, I don't know... Mr Moat?) would have to do some serious asset stripping to get that kind of outlay back.

Anyone buying the club would have to pay Ashley in cash any case now, that wasn't the case when we were up for sale after the relegation.

Of course we'd have see who the buyers are, but I don't think Ashley would sell to anyone like Moat after the fiasco of last time and I don't see anyone buying the club for a long long time.  The club will be paying back Ashley his loan soon imo since we are breaking even now.

How much is the exposure of a premier league club / champs league club worth to a Qatari at the moment with the wc around the long corner?

£250m? £300m? £350m?

Thats the only way Ashely will find a buyer, and as glamorous as it sounds to have a team worth £100m plus, I'm not sure I want that model - Chelsea and City are pretty souless clubs really.

We're on the right track, just as long as Ashley realises that as we progress we need to up the investment levels to keep the incriments in income coming

Guest tollemache

I guess it's not that surprising. In football you rarely get the chance to work on the long term unless the immediate future is looking better as well... you have to look after them both.

I suppose we'd all like to think we're rational and can look at longer term objectives, but as football fans we're massively affected by week to week results and short term blips.

Course. For example, really a sample of 5 or 6 seasons at least would be needed to judge a manager properly, but obviously that would never happen.

Baby steps... a period of > one season would be a great start

And would people really want some sheikh, a sugar daddy to guarantee success and render your support and the entire history of the club moot?

I'd much rather a club that was successful under its own steam. I fucking hate Man City / Chelsea / Anzhi and the others and I can't wait for the sugar daddies to get bored and leave them well and truly up the creek

The romantic in me says we're on the right track with the self sufficiency approach, but the realist in me knows we will never challenge for major honours, which I would love to see us do (again) in my lifetime. On that basis I wouldn't say no to the right prospective owner willing to subsidise such a project.

Guest neesy111

I guess it's not that surprising. In football you rarely get the chance to work on the long term unless the immediate future is looking better as well... you have to look after them both.

I suppose we'd all like to think we're rational and can look at longer term objectives, but as football fans we're massively affected by week to week results and short term blips.

Course. For example, really a sample of 5 or 6 seasons at least would be needed to judge a manager properly, but obviously that would never happen.

And would people really want some sheikh, a sugar daddy to guarantee success and render your support and the entire history of the club moot?

I'd much rather a club that was successful under its own steam. I fucking hate Man City / Chelsea / Anzhi and the others and I can't wait for the sugar daddies to get bored and leave them well and truly up the creek

After 44 years without a trophy, I'll take getting success anyway it comes whether via our current approach or via a Sugar Daddy.  I don't think you heard Blackburn fans complaining when they bought the title in 1995.

I'd much rather a club that was successful under its own steam. I f***ing hate Man City / Chelsea / Anzhi and the others and I can't wait for the sugar daddies to get bored and leave them well and truly up the creek

I personally believe that is a rather odd argument considering how Ashley has so far handled the legacy he acquired a few years ago.

Guest tollemache

And I don't think you'd hear any complaints our end if someone bought the title for us, because football fans do not tend to think that way. It'd still be sad and it'd feel quite hollow for me, and when the inevitable abuse came from fans of other clubs I'd find it hard to deflect it.

Much rather hold out for that tiny chance of a proper win. In the very long term, we're slightly less likely than Arsenal to win the league under our own financial steam if we are run properly with sustainability in mind. It's not totally unthinkable, even if it is really really unlikely

Guest tollemache

I'd much rather a club that was successful under its own steam. I f***ing hate Man City / Chelsea / Anzhi and the others and I can't wait for the sugar daddies to get bored and leave them well and truly up the creek

I personally believe that is a rather odd argument considering how Ashley has so far handled the legacy he acquired a few years ago.

By trying to get the club pointed in the right direction financially so that it can become more successful in the long term? I know, I know, you're going to say something about the stadium name aren't you...

Guest neesy111

And I don't think you'd hear any complaints our end if someone bought the title for us, because football fans do not tend to think that way. It'd still be sad and it'd feel quite hollow for me, and when the inevitable abuse came from fans of other clubs I'd find it hard to deflect it.

Much rather hold out for that tiny chance of a proper win. In the very long term, we're slightly less likely than Arsenal to win the league under our own financial steam if we are run properly with sustainability in mind. It's not totally unthinkable, even if it is really really unlikely

:lol:

Who give's a fuck what other fans think.

Well you do obviously.

Guest neesy111

As you can see from the entire rest of the post, I'm more bothered about how I'd feel

You'll be fine, just think of the celebrations when we win something.