Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

What a ridculous article from the Independent.

OMG Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Sissokho, Debuchy and Mbiwa don't have release clauses!!!!!!! As if we'll struggle to move them on!

We got 8m for Martins and 4m for Duff last time we went down.

Guest neesy111

Ashley is such a fucking clown if he failed to put relegation clauses in for the 2ND time.

Guest neesy111

OMG Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Sissokho, Debuchy and Mbiwa don't have release clauses!!!!!!! As if we'll struggle to move them on!

Alan Smith, Joey Barton, Coloccini, Enrique, Jonas all were players on 40k + in the championship I'm sure we would had shifted them if we got offers for them.

The article is talking about the 5 January signings. Of the 5, I can't see Haidara on as big a wage as the other 4. MYM is the highest paid at some 60,70k a week while Sissoko and Debuchy are probably on a decent wage as well. I imagine there will be no lack of takers should we go down, and the wage bill will be adjusted accordingly. Stupid article just trying to make the most of our relegation worries.

As I stated yesterday I find it hard to believe the vast majority of our non-English players will either be peddled or asking to be peddled in the summer if the worst happens. (Un)fortunately, depending on how you look at it, they're nearly all salable assets who will command a decent fee. Joy.

Guest Roger Kint

Isn't the parachute payment absolutely massive this time around as well? Sure I read that.

Increase from 48m to 60m over 4 years.

In other words a massive decrease compared to staying up.

Isn't the parachute payment absolutely massive this time around as well? Sure I read that.

Well obviously, but it softens the blow a bit that's all.

Guest Roger Kint

Not sure how being paid £45m less is in any way a blow softener like :lol:

What are you on about?

Guest Roger Kint

What are you on about?

Sorry it was simple in my mind. Stay up and we get £60m, go down and we get £15m. The difference in the two is £45m which is what we will lose, where is the confusion? Either way its not in any way a softened blow to a club which largely relies on that bigger income to break even.

I still think that money gives you a massive headstart over other clubs in that league...im just not surr if i can watch rebuild again and try and get promoted all over again

If we do go up we would then have that nervy first season back.

Fuckin snakes n ladders

What are you on about?

Sorry it was simple in my mind. Stay up and we get £60m, go down and we get £15m. The difference in the two is £45m which is what we will lose, where is the confusion? Either way its not in any way a softened blow to a club which largely relies on that bigger income to break even.

But it 'softens the blow' as in getting a parachute payment of 60 is better than getting a parachute payment of 48.

Obviously it's nothing compared to staying up, but that's kind of what the phrase 'softens the blow' means.

Guest Roger Kint

What are you on about?

But it 'softens the blow' as in getting a parachute payment of 60 is better than getting a parachute payment of 48.

Obviously it's nothing compared to staying up, but that's kind of what the phrase 'softens the blow' means.

But thats over 4 years so the difference in footballing terms is pretty negligable for a club with our massive costs.

Pretty sure the TV money just doesn't come in 1 lump sum of 60m anyway :lol: I think some clubs borrow against that or some take it as it comes in, which is what Ashley would do - no?

What are you on about?

But thats over 4 years so the difference in footballing terms is pretty negligable for a club with our massive costs.

True, I was just mentioning that I knew it was better than before.

What are you on about?

still better than 48

Guest Roger Kint

What are you on about?

Technically it is less as we got £16m last time.

Guest Roger Kint

What are you on about?

still better than 48

If we spend 4 years in the Championship i wouldnt worry too much about that increase, we will have far more pressing issues.

What are you on about?

See your point Ian, i guess though that an increase of £3m a season isn't much of a silver lining. Given our costs it really wouldn't make any dent at all in the problem. A point, i'm sure, understood by all.