Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Ashley's not going to jump from a 250k a year (allegedly) manager to one that demands that much a month

He might if the 250k/yr manager ends up costing him £40m a season. Ashley's biggest mistake has been to underestimate the need for an intelligent coach. If we survive this season I think that will be put right.

Ashley's not going to jump from a 250k a year (allegedly) manager to one that demands that much a month

He might if the 250k/yr manager ends up costing him £40m a season. Ashley's biggest mistake has been to underestimate the need for an intelligent coach. If we survive this season I think that will be put right.

really hope so. what do they say?  pay peanuts etc

I don't understand this stuff about the manager's wages.  We'll quite gladly pay players over 40 grand a week but won't pay the same for a top manager?

Ashley's fucking boneheaded if that's true, it makes no sense to scrimp and save on the most important role at the club.

It'll be awesome when he runs out of mistakes to make.

I don't understand this stuff about the manager's wages.  We'll quite gladly pay players over 40 grand a week but won't pay the same for a top manager?

Ashley's fucking boneheaded if that's true, it makes no sense to scrimp and save on the most important role at the club.

Players can be sold if it doesn't work out.

Managers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22336538

It's still a small price to pay IMO, if you've got any degree of common sense.

He's got a chairman in Llambias who's clueless about the game which doesn't help.

Ashley's f***ing boneheaded if that's true, it makes no sense to scrimp and save on the most important role at the club.

It's still a small price to pay IMO, if you've got any degree of common sense.

Exactly. 2.5 is a fuck load less then 40. Howay man Mike.

Ashley's f***ing boneheaded if that's true, it makes no sense to scrimp and save on the most important role at the club.

He's got a chairman in Llambias who's clueless about the game which doesn't help.

Quite happily take Dekka overseeing the finances/business side and the club appointment a football chief executive to handle that side - but that would probably get labelled as a Director of Football again and I won't get into how gloriously that failed.

If we go down then I think we're at the point again where we have to hope Ashley cuts his losses and finds a buyer, he's done some good things recently but a club like ours turning into some sort of yo-yo club is unacceptable.  If we stay up then Pardew needs to go or else we approach next season with trepidation and hopelessness.

Totally agree Tron - Llambias is as much to blame as Pardew because it is allegedly his fault that Pardew is there in the first place....plus he is an arrogant and mean-spirited b------d who has antagonized both the fans and many people in the game.

It's called getting old lads.

The owner, the signage of the stadium, none of that matters. You're just getting older.

Total nonsense - when SJH and KK were in charge I was in my 40s and I, along with everyone else, looked forward to match days as if they were pay-day...we loved the atmosphere and it was brilliant.

It was like being in my 20s again and watching the Fairs Cup side, maybe even better because the football was great to watch.

The current ownership and CEO have wrecked any real feeling the fans had for the club because they have removed it from them totally ; they have employed a manager whose track record with other clubs gave them every warning as to what could be expected from him, and now the fans are paying for their clueless decision by seeing their side humiliated and in danger of relegation for the second time under these clowns.

Their major contribution to NE football will be to ensure that the Mackems will have a greater percentage of youngsters growing up to support them than at any time since they won the Cup in 1973.

'Getting old' has nothing to do with it - watching the way NUFC goes about its business ensures that people in their 20s will feel old and that Alex Ferguson's jibe about being 'a wee club in the NE' will come true...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastles-mike-ashley-era-can-hardly-be-deemed-a-success-8599983.html

Comparison of 5 years under Ashley compared to the previous 6 years!!!

"At some point, there is a need to address the achievements of the team.

In pure footballing terms, in Ashley's near six years in charge, Newcastle have finished in the top 10 of the Premier League only once, last year's fifth-place finish. Their average Premier League finish (including their current position of 17th) is 13th, they have been relegated once and are in the middle of another fight to stay out of the Championship. They have not gone beyond the fourth round of either domestic cup competition in that period and in those six years there has been one European campaign, in this season's Europa League, in which they reached the quarter-finals. There have been six different managers during these six years, including Allardyce.

For the previous six years prior to Ashley's arrival, Newcastle finished in the top 10 of the Premier League on four occasions, their average finish was eighth and they were never relegated. They reached two FA Cup quarter-finals, one FA Cup semi-final, two League Cup quarter-finals, one Uefa Cup semi-final and one Uefa Cup quarter-final. They qualified for the Champions League twice and reached the second group stage in the competition's old format. They used four managers during that period.

It is some contrast."

I thought it was interesting to see the achievements (or lack of) summed up like that because so many people (and not especially fans) seem to think Ashley is doing a really good job and apart from the finance side (which is a bit of a red herring because the debt is much higher albeit owed to him instead of the banks), on the playing side, we appear to be worse than we were before.

I thought it was interesting to see the achievements (or lack of) summed up like that because so many people (and not especially fans) seem to think Ashley is doing a really good job and apart from the finance side (which is a bit of a red herring because the debt is much higher albeit owed to him instead of the banks), on the playing side, we appear to be worse than we were before.

They haven't even grown the club financially.  They've cost cut and made savings but they haven't really taken the club forward at all other than the Sky money increasing, which is a collective agreement and not something we have done for ourselves.

assuming he respects carr as much as people think hopefully carr will sit him down and explain that having a good manager can make the club more money by not getting relegated and finishing higher up the table, maybe even winning a cup...the daft cunt

They haven't even grown the club financially.  They've cost cut and made savings but they haven't really taken the club forward at all other than the Sky money increasing, which is a collective agreement and not something we have done for ourselves.

True - the fall in the commercial revenue is a damning example of that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/exclusive-newcastle-fail-to-plan-for-relegation-in-player-deals-8599984.html

Exclusive: Newcastle fail to plan for relegation in player deals

Club run risk of financial turmoil if they go down as there are clauses missing in contracts regarding demotion

Martin Hardy Author Biography

Thursday 02 May 2013

Newcastle United have not made provisions for relegation in all of the contracts they gave to the players who arrived at St James' Park in January.

The club did not insert relegation clauses into all of the five deals that were given to the French players who arrived during a spending spree which cost the club £31m in transfer and agents' fees. Newcastle signed Mathieu Debuchy, Yoan Gouffran, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Massadio Haïdara and Moussa Sissoko during the transfer window earlier this year in a bold attempt to move the club away from the relegation zone.

However, despite an initial surge in the team's form, results have tailed off and Newcastle are now in the middle of a relegation fight for the second time in five seasons.

They fell to 17th in the Premier League table when Aston Villa beat Sunderland 6-1 on Monday night, their lowest position since Alan Pardew took over as manager, and now sit just five points above third-bottom Wigan Athletic, who have a game in hand. Newcastle similarly sit fourth-bottom in the current form table.

Their most recent accounts showed that the club's wage bill was £64.1m – but that was before the influx of new players – against a turnover of £93.3m. That turnover, however, would fall dramatically should they be relegated from the Premier League, as they were in 2009 when they were demoted on the final day of the season.

The new television rights deal for showing Premier League matches kicks in next season and the clubs are set to receive £60m – a £14m increase in income. This will only expand the financial gap between the Premier League and the Championship. The one silver lining for Newcastle is that relegated clubs will receive £48m in parachute payments over the following four campaigns.

The situation may be enough to force Newcastle to sell some of their prize assets. The likes of Sissoko, who was signed for just £1.8m from Toulouse, would attract great interest from clubs around Europe. The midfielder was valued at £16m two seasons ago, which arguably negates the need for a clause to decrease salaries to match demotion.

However, other clubs such as Sunderland and Norwich City are believed to have undertaken the safety-first policy.

Sunderland, who are also back in the midst of a relegation scrap following their heavy loss at Villa Park on Monday night, have clauses inserted into the players' contracts as a matter of course. If they were to fall into the Championship, players could see their salaries fall by as much as 40 per cent. That is now policy in light of the financial hardship the club has suffered following previous relegations. After demotion from the Premier League in 2003, 70 members of staff lost their jobs.

Similarly, Norwich have put relegation clauses into player contracts that would reduce wages by more than a third should they finish in the bottom three this season.

Queen's Park Rangers, however, who have already been relegated from the Premier League, struggled to persuade some of their more illustrious signings to gamble on such deals that protect the club if things go wrong on the pitch.

The Wigan manager, Roberto Martinez, has admitted that he would also take a pay cut if the club are relegated from the Premier League. "There are relegation clauses in all of the contracts," he said. "I have one, too. It's about having a sound financial plan and if you drop your league status, you are dropping your budget. Everyone should be affected by it. As a football club, it is something we have to have."

It is something that Newcastle don't.

???

Our pkayers are sellable assets...fck me man, last time we shift duff gor 4 mill.

Not worried on this fron...the biggest rarner is colo and he wsnts to go home anyway