Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

My view now, although I know it is defeatist, is that I would accept a few seasons of finishing in the top 10 as long as the team was likeable and there were enough exciting moments in each year

That's not a negative viewpoint when we're currently fighting relegation. Rather optimistic if anything but eminently achievable with a new manager.

Just can't get my head around the fact that this club has been so mismanaged (from ownership and management) in the past 15 years, with the hiring of Sir Bobby the only bright-spot - but of course, true to form - they fuck that up with the resulting sacking of the man and the annual ups and downs is just plain staggering. Brilliant, magnificent stadium with supporters who still travel in numbers and fill a stadium in this economy and position in the table, yet we still get the bus ran over us every single season.

Just can't get my head around the fact that this club has been so mismanaged (from ownership and management) in the past 15 years. The hiring of Sir Bobby the only bright-spot and the resulting sacking of the man and the annual ups and downs is just plain staggering. Brilliant, magnificent stadium with supporters who still travel in numbers and fill a stadium in this economy and position in the table, yet we still get the bus ran over us every single season.

I think Ashley has the right idea to get us back on track in general, or at least to reduce the extreme ups and downs. Only snag is whether he's backed the wrong manager to do it.

Even with the same investment that we have had this season, I couldn't really complain about real progress if we had gone on and finished 8th/9th with a decent Europa campaign. I think a decent manager with our squad could have achieved that, it is only as high as Swansea/West Brom ffs.

To fall a little bit short of that would have been standing still, but could still be considered a blip/bad luck/injury based etc. - I might even be prepared to give Pardew the benefit of the doubt.

However, I think the downfall this season and in particular the level of performance means that Ashley needs to make a decision, and quickly. There must be a point where the need for consistency is overridden by the need for competence. Lots of people keep mentioning Ferguson's early days at Man Utd - that's bollocks. If Ferguson had had a season any where near as bad as ours he would have been shown the door.

I honestly think the club feels different these days. Like going to the match doesn't feel the same as it did 7/8 years ago. Dont know why, or how. But have said it for a while now. At times it doesn't feel like St James' anymore. Finding it hard to describe to be honest, but I know the group of lads I go the match with feel exactly the same.

I used to wake up on a Saturday buzzing for the game, but now the match day just feels a bit distant. There doesn't seem like, the same passion there was a few years ago, amongst the support and the players. Even last season, we were winning games and going to the ground was enjoyable, but it still felt strange. Might have something to do with all the Sports Direct shite plastered all over the place, but I think St James' is losing it's spark, and it really pains me to say that.

I honestly think the club feels different these days. Like going to the match doesn't feel the same as it did 7/8 years ago. Dont know why, or how. But have said it for a while now. At times it doesn't feel like St James' anymore. Finding it hard to describe to be honest, but I know the group of lads I go the match with feel exactly the same.

I used to wake up on a Saturday buzzing for the game, but now the match day just feels a bit distant. There doesn't seem like, the same passion there was a few years ago, amongst the support and the players. Even last season, we were winning games and going to the ground was enjoyable, but it still felt strange. Might have something to do with all the Sports Direct s**** plastered all over the place, but I think St James' is losing it's spark, and it really pains me to say that.

for some reason i was really looking forward to the liverpool game.

decent first half at wba, ben arfa saying he was 100% fit, full house, suarez suspended, previous home game to make up for .... i honestly thought we would really get at them and get a draw at least.

then at 4.30 I heard the team news.

Just can't get my head around the fact that this club has been so mismanaged (from ownership and management) in the past 15 years, with the hiring of Sir Bobby the only bright-spot - but of course, true to form - they f*** that up with the resulting sacking of the man and the annual ups and downs is just plain staggering. Brilliant, magnificent stadium with supporters who still travel in numbers and fill a stadium in this economy and position in the table, yet we still get the bus ran over us every single season.

This is something that continually amazes me. There's no shortage of decent managers out there, guys with real long-term pedigree and top class experience yet we seem to make the wrong decision every time. This goes right back to replacing a world class, talented gentleman like Bobby Robson with Graeme sodding Souness and then following that up with Glen fucking Roeder.

More recently we've had to endure Joe Kinnear and Alan Pardew.  The two chinks of light we had, Hughton and Keegan, were treated appallingly and left the club.

The worst part of it is watching other clubs, often lesser clubs than ourselves, snap up decent managers and progress while we sit by and watch.

if the board really didnt want him, they should have let sir bobby go in the summer. once they didnt then they should have given him the rest of the season and used that time to look for a quality replacement. single biggest mistake in nearly 20 years was appointing souness (with d.wise a close second).

Just can't get my head around the fact that this club has been so mismanaged (from ownership and management) in the past 15 years, with the hiring of Sir Bobby the only bright-spot - but of course, true to form - they f*** that up with the resulting sacking of the man and the annual ups and downs is just plain staggering. Brilliant, magnificent stadium with supporters who still travel in numbers and fill a stadium in this economy and position in the table, yet we still get the bus ran over us every single season.

This is something that continually amazes me. There's no shortage of decent managers out there, guys with real long-term pedigree and top class experience yet we seem to make the wrong decision every time. This goes right back to replacing a world class, talented gentleman like Bobby Robson with Graeme sodding Souness and then following that up with Glen fucking Roeder.

More recently we've had to endure Joe Kinnear and Alan Pardew.  The two chinks of light we had, Hughton and Keegan, were treated appallingly and left the club.

The worst part of it is watching other clubs, often lesser clubs than ourselves, snap up decent managers and progress while we sit by and watch.

In theory it seems absolutely simple to make NUFC a massive, massive success. Probably Ashley's plan + someone like Laudrup isn't far off the best approach.

This is something that continually amazes me. There's no shortage of decent managers out there, guys with real long-term pedigree and top class experience yet we seem to make the wrong decision every time. This goes right back to replacing a world class, talented gentleman like Bobby Robson with Graeme sodding Souness and then following that up with Glen f***ing Roeder.

In theory it seems absolutely simple to make NUFC a massive, massive success. Probably Ashley's plan + someone like Laudrup isn't far off the best approach.

It's totally baffling!  All Ashley needs is a bit of impartial football advice from someone who isn't part of the big football old boy's club.

Put together a list of candidates who have proven themselves to be more than a one season wonder, preferably someone young who encourages a modern brand of football. Boom, job done!

If we can sell the club to players like Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Sissoko i'm pretty sure we could sell it to a decent  managerial candidate.

Guest Bert Shaft

Just can't get my head around the fact that this club has been so mismanaged (from ownership and management) in the past 15 65 years,

Fixed! :D

Clubs been a bit of a joke on and off since the end of WW2. Players nearly going on strike before 51 Cup Final because of greedy directors, whoppers like the McKeags and Westwood running the club not to mention Fat Fred the fat scrap merchant and the fuckin pair of biffs that own and run the club now.

Newcastle United are, and have been more often than not,  a total basket case of a football club.

Probably why I love 'em though.

It's depressing to think what Sir Bobby or Keegan could achieve with this squad.  The current defence is better than anything we had during their tenures, the midfield has players capable of playing some fantastic football and we have a striker who, when playing with confidence, can score absolutely unbelievable goals.

Yet, this season, they've looked incapable of the absolute basics.

Gives him a good excuse to offload our best players, he'll get good coin this time, might even cover the cost of relegation.

Krul, Cabaye, Cisse, santon, Tiote, hba, Debuchy, sissoko, Anita, Marv, goof, Mbiwa & maybe something for colo...just imagine what we could get for that lot?

That would still leave us with perch, gosling, Jonas, Obertan, Shola, Eliott, Taylor, Williamson & Haidara, who knows we might even be lucky enough to keep Simpson.

Eliott

Simo saylor willo Haidara

Gosling perch

Obertan.          Jonas

Shola. Sammy

We might "cover the cost" for a single year...but like hell that squad is ever gaining promotion.

Not sure if serious, not sure if joking, whatever.

Guest fraser

I'd pay 100 quid to know this guys thoughts. Every chance of being relegated twice under his ownership.

MONEYMONEYMONEYPIESMONEYMONEYMONEY

[email protected]

I like the Cumberland Sausage Baps. Been offer of the day since the slide towards relegation started.

Guest neesy111

I'd pay 100 quid to know this guys thoughts. Every chance of being relegated twice under his ownership.

http://image1.masterfile.com/em_w/04/15/38/400-04153819fw.jpg

I know he likes to be mute...but it wouldn't hurt for him to make a statement now and again. He's the owner of the club, after all :hmm:

This is what I said on Saturday, tbf to Shepherd when he used to make one of his rally calls it usually got a response.

http://image1.masterfile.com/em_w/04/15/38/400-04153819fw.jpg

I know he likes to be mute...but it wouldn't hurt for him to make a statement now and again. He's the owner of the club, after all :hmm:

This is what I said on Saturday, tbf to Shepherd when he used to make one of his rally calls it usually got a response.

Aye. But then he'd go and buy a Luque or an Owen...