Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Then why doesn't he sell it and fuck off.  :lol:

If he really thinks that he would leave, he obviously has done well out of it on other fronts. It's more about him being miffed right now as he's fucked up Sports Direct and us at the same time. It's finally costing him a fortune over making him a fortune for once.

He deserves everything he gets with AIDS on top.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mike-ashleys-message-newcastle-fans-7603937

Mike Ashley has an explosive message for his big spending Newcastle United.

He said on Monday: “All I say is, there is a bank account, when you have emptied it, it’s empty, don’t come crying to me for more money.....”

The club owner has watched his club spend £80m in transfer fees since the summer, self-financed by healthy club profits.

Ashley says the spree, on the likes of Aleksandar Mitrovic, Gini Wijnaldum and Jonjo Shelvey, represented having “a proper go at it this season...”

“I think everyone can agree with that,” Ashley added. “But the results haven’t been ideal.”

Critics would argue it simply patched up the club after a couple of years of under-investment and stagnation.

But with the club mired in the relegation zone, they are facing a huge cut in television income if they drop to the Championship – from a guaranteed £100m at least, to £37m in “parachute” payments.

With a wage bill estimated to be currently more than £80m, relegation could mean Newcastle need another emergency loan from Ashley.

Back in 2009 he had to loan £40m to secure the finances after relegation, and win promotion at the first attempt.

So when he was asked by the Mirror how much was left in the bank account for Newcastle, Ashley replied: “Virtually, nothing now. They have emptied it.”

So far the club has cost Ashley £262m.

That breaks down to £133m to buy it from the Hall and Shepherd families.

And a loan of £129m, according to the last published accounts, given “interest free.”

Ashley’s payback is using St James’ Park as a billboard for Sports Direct with more than 100 logos on view on match days.

Ashley is happy for all the cash United generates to be reinvested in players and “having a go.”

That means if United do stay in the Premier League, Benitez will get another huge transfer pot because of the income the club would be guaranteed.

But he is reluctant to plough in any more of his personal fortune.

Speaking at Sports Direct HS in Shirebrook, he claimed he has little involvement in the running of the club.

He said: “I have virtually nil affect on Newcastle United, in reality, because I only pick the board.”

Explaining his stewardship of Newcastle, he says “negativity” surrounding his ownership caused him to “step back” from the front line.

He added: “To get a football club to be the best it can be, you have to get the sun, the moons and the stars to align perfectly.

“But there is negativity around me as an individual when it comes to Newcastle, so the best thing was to make sure it was on solid ground and then step back and get them to self manage Newcastle.

“Create a board, get the board to appoint the manager, put the manager on the board as well and then not interfere.

“I don’t know what players they sign, I don’t know what team they are going to pick on a Saturday.

“I don’t really want to have any influence in football to be honest. Looking after Sports Direct is more than a full time job.”

Ashley would not publicly consider relegation, expressing total faith in Benitez, who took over from sacked Steve McClaren ten days ago.

Fans are not so confident, and Ashley will see his club facing huge financial cutbacks if they drop.

Some fans see relegation as a way of getting rid of Ashley, but the opposite is the case. He’s found he can’t sell the club in the top flight, never mind after a two thirds cut in TV income.

Relegation would be a disaster – causing Benitez to activate his break clause, top name players sold and another search for a manager.

Ashley, with the bullishness of a self-made billionaire who hates failure, added: “I think we have the right man for the job. If there is any hope of Newcastle staying up, let’s hope Rafa can do it.

“Eventually, we will have some good times again.”

That very much hinges on the final eight games, and a quick revival in fortunes on the pitch.

There's really no reason why he would have done that interview, all i'm reading into it is that he's finally accepted that he'll never make a success of it here, Rafa is essentially last throw of the dice. Essentially he's putting it out there that he'll listen to offers for the club, regardless of whether we stay up or not.

Letting the club fail would cost him a hell of a lot more than than funding us back up (if relegated) so he'll have to make the money available. If we do stay up, the club would be a far more attractive proposition if Rafa was putting a decent squad together.

I think this is positive.. end game is in sight finally.

The ridiculous thing is he's not saying anything any of us didn't know already and yet the media make it out like his comments are some sort of revelation! We've known he hates the club, hates the fans and wishes he'd never bought us for years!

:lol: He "only picks the board".

You gave Charnley, Carr and Moncur the responsibility of running a Premier League football club you utter cretin.

He's desperately trying to absolve himself of any blame - through the club's official media partner - and it won't f***ing wash.

He also should've been asked to expand on why we're stuck with him.

3 seasons or more without premier league involvement and he's likely to sell. If you're going to assume it's on a single years basis like before then of course he won't. The act of relegation isn't the cause; it's the aftermath.

Amazing insight!

Well my passive aggressive chum, someone seems to be arguing the opposite.

No offence. I totally agree with you.

I don't care if we end up as other 'Leeds or Portsmouth' (yawn) - I just want my club back.

As long as that fat c*** is owner, we're going nowhere. Except down the way.

Guarantee we could get 45,000 in the Conference with competent people at the helm who actually care about the club, fans, etc.

He just randomly speaks when he fucking feels like it, don't ever trust a word that fat cunt has ever said. Since he's taken over he's done nothing but ruin our club. When we have a team finishing 5th, we don't kick on; we liquidate. We struggle, we never sack Pardew, we nearly fall with Carver with unprecedented losses; somehow we stay up. How do we correct this? We throw a ton of money into players + Steve McClaren. We leave it far too late and now we have Rafa basically trying to do an epic salvage job...insane. 

Nothing new in these words. He says he won't sell but we know he will if a good bid comes in, as was always the case. And of course he regrets buying the club.

The only interesting part is his pessimism about staying up.

Guest firetotheworks

Why do people use the 'he didn't sell us when we went down last time' line knowing full well that when we went down he put us up for sale? I'm not saying one thing equals the other, but the evidence is more in favour of him selling than not.

Him not selling/no one buying last time surely supports the idea that we'll be stuck with him if we go down again?

That being said, who knows if that is even a yardstick now, given how the financial landscape has the changed in six years (but more poignantly will do in the years to follow)?

I think it's impossible to predict what will happen if we go down, other than the material things like losing players and inevitably the manager.

He said: “I have virtually nil affect on Newcastle United, in reality, because I only pick the board.”

:lol:

And I'm sure the club came to plaster us in Sports Direct and the Wonga sponsor without any input from Ashley. Pure coincidence.

Don't know why people take so much credence in the won't sell line. The blokes a fucking liar.

He is but, barring a multi-tier drop, I get the feeling he won't sell at a non-extortionate price, e.g. 400m+. It's not a good deal unless someone else is getting fucked over.