Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

So he's inviting folk to bid who can't afford the club? I'm up for it.

It all sounds so scammy :lol:

Can't afford the 400m all up front? Let's just go with a 5 year contract with low low monthly payments of 8m then! You deserve a football club and now your dreams can come true. :lol:

Staged payments? Anyone buying who needs that option can’t afford to take us on.

Then in a year or so when Ashley calls in his loan, he can finally bankrupt us when whatever clown owns us can’t afford to pay him..

Bloke (some "expert") on totalsport saying its a game changer cause it means the buyer will be able to invest in the squad while still buying the club

Tend to agree with Odin. None of the buyers of Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal's investors, Everton's new guy nor Bournemouths new guy have needed to stage payments to be able to invest in the playing squad.

Strikes me that no 'big' players are sniffing if he's got to incentivise potential buyers with staged payments so publically.

Or his asking price is too high it's scaring them off, same thing i suppose in the end.

Yeah true - whether you pay £20 for a Mars Bar today or you pay £0.50p today and then pay off the remaining £19.50 over the next 6 months, you've still overpaid.

Aye, not exactly a selling point is it, staged payments to still vastly over pay.

Wasn't there a similar statement made in after the whole KK thing? Not getting to excited, feels like this could be another Ashley stunt.

Yup. His words aren't worth the air into which they uttered. Ignore.

Can't afford the 400m all up front? Let's just go with a 5 year contract with low low monthly payments of 8m then! You deserve a football club and now your dreams can come true. :lol:

And all you need to do is pay me £600m over the next ten years, wear Sports Direct on your shirts, shorts, boots and shinners.

Better still, I'll go back to being Mr Invisible and you can take all of the shit for your terrible decision to get into bed with me.

This man is a crook - just look at his dealings with Rangers and the issues they had in untangling the mess made by his grubby fat paws.

No I believe the interest is serious now but this Chinese lot will have been tyre kickers up to now.

Perhaps he’s making it easier for them but the real intent is to sniff out a move by Staveley and her investors.

It’s anyones guess really.

I want to get excited but this is Mike Ashley.. there’s no way he’ll leave without one last “fuck you” to all of us.

Guest Howaythetoon

When January comes and there are no new players, but SJP renamed back as the SD arena so as to showcase to would be buyers what they can get out of the club...

Don't trust the man one bit. Here is hoping though!

Staged payments? Anyone buying who needs that option can’t afford to take us on.

Then in a year or so when Ashley calls in his loan, he can finally bankrupt us when whatever clown owns us can’t afford to pay him..

Bloke (some "expert") on totalsport saying its a game changer cause it means the buyer will be able to invest in the squad while still buying the club

Tend to agree with Odin. None of the buyers of Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal's investors, Everton's new guy nor Bournemouths new guy have needed to stage payments to be able to invest in the playing squad.

Strikes me that no 'big' players are sniffing if he's got to incentivise potential buyers with staged payments so publically.

Possibly a nicer way of saying some money can be deferred until the HMRC case is closed.

Potentially but normally when there is any type of liability or potential for wrongdoing to cost a buyer money then they would seek some from of covenant until it was resolved.

So, say for example, the two sets of Lawyers agree that the potential liability of the tax case is £10m - there could be an agreement that this is set aside until a judgement is made one way or the other.

I'd say that's what we would do in relation to the HMRC matter. I certainly don't see it as a deal breaker providing we can estimate the potential liaibilities and penalties etc.

I don’t know how you could quantify relegation, possibly several leagues (not that I believe this is a football matter, just worst case) plus all that comes with it.

No one really knows what the punishment will be if guilty and because of that it’s no normal liability clause needed.

And all you need to do is pay me £600m over the next ten years, wear Sports Direct on your shirts, shorts, boots and shinners.

Better still, I'll go back to being Mr Invisible and you can take all of the s*** for your terrible decision to get into bed with me.

This man is a crook - just look at his dealings with Rangers and the issues they had in untangling the mess made by his grubby fat paws.

Textbook Wonga.

Apperantly investors are aware we're a yoyo club.

We are now seen as a fucking Yo-yo club ffs that man should just keel over and die.

Any investors worth their salt would know that we're 'yoyo' through bad management and lack of investment. Man City were in the third tier a couple of years before they were bought ffs

Possibly a nicer way of saying some money can be deferred until the HMRC case is closed.

Potentially but normally when there is any type of liability or potential for wrongdoing to cost a buyer money then they would seek some from of covenant until it was resolved.

So, say for example, the two sets of Lawyers agree that the potential liability of the tax case is £10m - there could be an agreement that this is set aside until a judgement is made one way or the other.

I'd say that's what we would do in relation to the HMRC matter. I certainly don't see it as a deal breaker providing we can estimate the potential liaibilities and penalties etc.

I don’t know how you could quantify relegation, possibly several leagues (not that I believe this is a football matter, just worst case) plus all that comes with it.

No one really knows what the punishment will be if guilty and because of that it’s no normal liability clause needed.

Their Lawyers will have already advised them on this, probably after discussions with HMRC's lawyers.

If points deductions are a legitimate option then, I agree, selling the club would be much more difficult.

If the advantage was purely financial/commercial then I'd expect some form of fine, penalties from HMRC and also the tax to be repaid.

Ashley won't go quietly on it though so the lawyers could drag it out for ten years easily if they wanted to.

We've been 'up for sale' plenty of times under Ashley, so although I'm not outright saying it's bollocks, it's still, crucially, a Mike Ashley statement and therefore lies until proven otherwise.

Aye, this. Believe it when I see it.

We've been 'up for sale' plenty of times under Ashley, so although I'm not outright saying it's bollocks, it's still, crucially, a Mike Ashley statement and therefore lies until proven otherwise.

Aye, this. Believe it when I see it.

If and it's obviously a big if, but if a buyer comes in who will invest, give a shit and get NUFC striving to be the best it can be, would you get back into it, Wullie?

When Mike Ashley releases at statement that's a huge red flag for me. There's always more to it. Like I said before, who puts a football club "for sale", anyway? It's proper small time.

On the other hand, I can't see it would be worth his effort to create this huge smokescreen over something like transfers, since he's been screwing us on that front for years.

It's all very strange. The over pricing it bit sounds like him though.

We can rule out Amanda Stavely or those Chinese consortiums that were being linked last week, because if they or anyone else was seriously interested, then the statement wouldn't be put out.

Tend to agree with this. My gut feel is that he's held talks, through the laywers, with those that've signed NDA's and they are all miles away from his valuation hence this public appeal which tells the world it's available and puts out an olive branch in terms of staged payments.

What that actually means is that he'll wait for more money over a longer term. No shit. At that level of wealth, who wouldn't?

We are in (probably) a much more stable position as a club than when he last had us up for sale. Keegan had just left and the fans wanted blood, plus we ended up going down that year. We now have a top manager in charge and from a footballing point of view we are playing decent stuff and we look good enough to stay up this season, a much more attractive prospect to a potential buyer than last time.