Dwindling Crowds - MA or GO to blame?

Stu

As always down to a mix of issues but I would guess the biggest will be the financial climate. Belt tightening is effecting most business's (apart from belt suppliers).

You also had those who came back for Keegan not renewing there 3 year deal.

I basically jacked it in when Keegan went and have been going as and when and other times watching in the pub. However this season our lass bought me a season ticket for my anniversary and my 22 year old daughter got one as well.

Totally loving being there again especially given the type of football we seem to be playing.

I thought you were about 18! no offence intended

Agreed, I think the Ashley regime has given lots of folk the opportunity to bail out. It's more face-saving to say it's because of Ashley rather than you simply can't afford it anymore.

I'm with Jonny on this, I don't think this is true, all this does is further mask the underlying feelings of the fanbase. Unless you have clear evidence to the contrary.

I very nearly jacked my ST at the end of the ShepHall regime, as they were taking the piss. I'm in a very similar position now.

This 10-year ticket disaster means you need to cancel by February to get out. The natural instinct of the football fan is to take a punt and believe that next season will be better. There is always next season.

The club however have made it clear in their transfer dealings that taking a punt is not something they are prepared to do. So I am tempted to correct this asymmetry and go match-by-match, when it suits. I do not expect prices to rocket any time soon.

As for the earlier comment about London clubs, I know a lot of Arsenal ST holders. They are in a similar position to where we were in the 90s in that if you want to go to games, the only way you can be sure of getting in most weeks is to have a ST. That has allowed them to keep the prices staggeringly high. For many of the people I know, that is a huge burden. With overall demand for tickets dwindling, they are in danger of the ST no longer being necessary, with fans able to buy 10 or 11 home match tickets of their choosing (barring the biggest games). That in turn reduces the need for a ST further. In the current climate, a lot of people simply can't or won't pay £1000+ when the club are making chunky profits but not putting cash into the team.

Agreed, I think the Ashley regime has given lots of folk the opportunity to bail out. It's more face-saving to say it's because of Ashley rather than you simply can't afford it anymore.

None of the people I know have problems with their disposable income though.

I think if you asked a vast majority of fans whether we should have sold Nolan or given him a new contract most would have said give him a contract. Would that make them right?

What? :lol:

I packed in 4 years ago, due to family reasons which meant a change of priorities. I also don't doubt that they have been many who refuse to return until Ashley has left the club, regardless of how the team do. It's just the way things are and coupled with the current economic climate, a drop in attendances was always going to happen. Of course, it's not just NUFC who are experiencing this - it's across the board though Hartlepool buck the trend with their fantastic deals on s/t's.

I think if you asked a vast majority of fans whether we should have sold Nolan or given him a new contract most would have said give him a contract. Would that make them right?

What is it you don't understand Johnny? I take it you read my previous posts which led to that remark?

What is it you don't understand Johnny? I take it you read my previous posts which led to that remark?

I don't see what relevance that post has to what Jonny is saying.

I don't see what relevance that post has to what Jonny is saying.

If you take it out of context and ignore the rest of the discussion you are probably right, it has no relevance.

I say the majority of those missing are staying away because of Ashley but that decision was made a lot easier due to the fact most matches are easy to watch be it in on sky or a pub or at home on the PC.

If he sold the club tomorrow we would see sellout crowds at most matches.

Guest michaelfoster

I agree with Fenham Mag, yesterday we got 46,236 and only about 500 must have been Blackburn fans. If they had brought even 3/4 of their allocation we would of been looking at about 48,500 yesterday.

Me either and it isn't with me, but I see the superfan card has been called and I'm merely saving face. If I had spent half my life reading the the insight from every halfwit, I might not be average Joe like, but live and live.

Feeding the regime and being an Ashley apologist is the easy option, but not one I could ever bring myself to do.

My gesture is ultimately futile as not enough people have followed suit, but at least I know I'm not a hypocrite and I'm not giving my money to somebody who thinks I'm worth the contempt and lies.

I think if we keep playing good football and the likes of Ben Arfa can get people excited again we'll see near full capacity at some games. Crowds have been dwindling around the country, we're still one of the best supported teams tbh.

I still think if we're performing on the pitch we'll be capable of selling out on a regular basis, the Championship season showed this to relatively good effect where we had very strong attendances despite the quality of opposition/lack of away support. People like seeing us win games and will pay for the privilege to do so, it's as simple as that.

It's amazing how people can find money to do the things that they enjoy - this isn't a dig and I include myself in this category - but there have been too many seasons in recent times at SJP where the match has felt more like a chore or duty than something to take pleasure from. I can understand given this situation and the ownership of the club why a good number have been turned away from it all. I don't think they're "lost" to us, though, definitely not.

Personally speaking I've been unable to justify a season ticket since living away as I've very rarely had the opportunity to get back up for games of a weekend, but I'll be getting to as many as I can when I get home next month. I would have definitely bought one this season if things had been a bit easier on the financial front, but I think that's more down to my bad management than the global situation to be perfectly honest.

I think if we keep playing good football and the likes of Ben Arfa can get people excited again we'll see near full capacity at some games. Crowds have been dwindling around the country, we're still one of the best supported teams tbh.

But I thought people couldn't afford it? Make your mind up.

I also think that had we been playing poorly and results had been poor, following the transfer window, a lot more people would have stopped going, including those superfan card players.

There was a lot of frustration following the transfer window, when we were again fed a pack of lies by these wankers and lot of threats were made, but as one of the lads above said, you get that "next season will be better" feeling.

It's mostly down to money with a healthy mix of fans waiting for Ashley to go.

Should be said Bburn must have only brought around 400 fans yesterday.

Blackburn had circa 1200 fans not 400.

Even so, compare that to the 3800 that Arsenal brought and you understand why it wasn't full.

A lot of people used relegation as a reason to stop going and once you stop going it's not easy to get back into it again, especially when you can watch all games either on illegal streams, illegal pub screenings or on Sky/espn.

If we continue to play well and win some will drift back and if we beat wolves i fully expect a 50K+ gate against Spurs who will bring at least 2 to 2.5K fans as well.

Our prices aren't bad, but i disagree with the tierred pricing which see's Spurs being a minimum of £36.

But I thought people couldn't afford it? Make your mind up.

I also think that had we been playing poorly and results had been poor, following the transfer window, a lot more people would have stopped going, including those superfan card players.

There was a lot of frustration following the transfer window, when we were again fed a pack of lies by these wankers and lot of threats were made, but as one of the lads above said, you get that "next season will be better" feeling.

Are you incapable of understanding that both finances and the ownership could be contributing towards declining attendances? If you are then what are you talking about when you say make your mind up?

You think I'm the one misunderstanding? Read my posts and then your own  :lol:

People can't afford it, that's all.

So now that's not all  :idiot2:

You win the anal argument award, I'll let you have that one.

i think the fact that the huge gaps are in the more expensive seats would suggest that maybe it is partially to do with the cash. but if you look, it was only when we were relegated that our crowds fell and have never recovered, i think a lot of fans gave up that year for footballing reasons, not to save the money.