On This Day... Personal Memories

TheGuv

9 years since 2-0 Charlton away. Me and my dad were going to drive to London for a change but tyre fucked up before we were out of Kingston Park. Had to miss the game and was also my first game on tv in a pub that wasn't on legally.  I was gutted because though the London curse was over for the team, I'd never seen us win in London. Went to Charlton in the two subsequent seasons and it was shit.

AZ Alkmaar was also pretty gutting.

Just seen this on facebook as well.

'25years ago today, we played Spurs in the 5th round of F.A.Cup.

I was 17, and went with my 14 yr old brother and father. Probably the most frightening experience ever watching Newcastle. If Neil McDonald had scored in the last minute, you would never have had a Hillsbrough disaster, it would have been the White Hart Lane Disaster.

Estimated 14,000 to 17,000 Newcastle fans sandwiched together in the paddocks of the Park Lane End.'

and this.

I was 17 that year and was a fucking mental day,seen grown men crushed to fuck crying their eyes out,had to fight with the coppers to get that section to the right open,alf garnet at half time and the seven sisters road dust ups before and after the game...crazy times.

17,000 Newcastle fans in London 25 years ago? That can't be true, we only started in '92 according to them down the road.

5 years today since we got knocked out to Aalkmar.

Roeder was a joke that game. I just remember being p*ssed off all night infront of the tele.

Worst set of tactics I've ever seen a manager employ.

I remember that SSN interview very well, "0-0 would be a good result." Urgh.

Just seen this on facebook as well.

'25years ago today, we played Spurs in the 5th round of F.A.Cup.

I was 17, and went with my 14 yr old brother and father. Probably the most frightening experience ever watching Newcastle. If Neil McDonald had scored in the last minute, you would never have had a Hillsbrough disaster, it would have been the White Hart Lane Disaster.

Estimated 14,000 to 17,000 Newcastle fans sandwiched together in the paddocks of the Park Lane End.'

and this.

I was 17 that year and was a f***ing mental day,seen grown men crushed to f*** crying their eyes out,had to fight with the coppers to get that section to the right open,alf garnet at half time and the seven sisters road dust ups before and after the game...crazy times.

17,000 Newcastle fans in London 25 years ago? That can't be true, we only started in '92 according to them down the road.

They've just got a chip on their shoulders that they have only been a City since 1992.

32 years ago today since the petrol bomb sailed out of the new stand paddock and into the icf yet my only really vivid memory of the day (other than the flames) is a stampede down bath lane and waterloo street after the match to marlborough crescent bus station of people wanting to get away out of town.

2002 - drew 2-2 with Ipswich at home.  Went behind twice, Robert scored an excellent free kick although Sereni was awfully positioned and Shearer put an awful penalty wide at the Gallowgate with virtually the last kick of the game.  Was sitting in the Milburn level with the 6 yard box.  Couldn't believe he missed it.  Tried to place it instead of usually thumping it.

2005 - Battered Olympiakos 4-0 at home.  Dyer playing up top with Shearer.  Thought we really could go on and win the Waffa that night.  Also our 100th game in a European competition.

2008 - Signed Lamine Diatta  :rolleyes:

2002 - drew 2-2 with Ipswich at home.  Went behind twice, Robert scored an excellent free kick although Sereni was awfully positioned and Shearer put an awful penalty wide at the Gallowgate with virtually the last kick of the game.  Was sitting in the Milburn level with the 6 yard box.  Couldn't believe he missed it.  Tried to place it instead of usually thumping it.

2005 - Battered Olympiakos 4-0 at home.  Dyer playing up top with Shearer.  Thought we really could go on and win the Waffa that night.  Also our 100th game in a European competition.

It's going downhill even more...

2012 - Nothing happend.

Shearer put an awful penalty wide at the Gallowgate with virtually the last kick of the game. 

No virtually about it - the ref blew literally the second the ball thumped the adverstising hoarding.

It's going downhill even more...

2012 - Nothing happend.

2012 - Pardew tells RVP to call Krul (so club can save on telephone bills)

4 years to the day since KK's first win in charge the second time around.

Man i loved his celebration :aww:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45314000/jpg/_45314103_keeganwater226282.jpg

Read .COM's match report for those who think he's an average manager. The players confidence and ability was so low, he transformed that team for a while.

Already... Was at that game. Lovely finish by Dyer. 7-1 :lol:

Already... Was at that game. Lovely finish by Dyer. 7-1 :lol:

Backheel wasn't it?

Any reason why the petrol bomb was thrown? Was there a pre history between the clubs or their firms?

I've got that book called "Black and white daft". It's a book of fans recollections of games between 1979-1984, and on the front cover there's a picture of the West Ham end at the time the petrol bomb landed, a huge circle in the crowd and smoke billowing from the terraces.

There's a newspaper piece from the time in which the lad who threw it said he wanted to put Newcastle on the map and was sick of us being in the old 2nd div'. When asked by police if he intended to hurt anyone, he said "I did it because i hate those cockney b**t**ds." He got jailed for 3 yrs.

It's a great book though. Fantastic nostalgia and pictures. Available from all good book stores - and the "Back page". Only joking back page staff. Can't beat your place for good book selection.

Guest BooBoo

Played a lot of good teams earlier on too.

Remember Allardyce probably had the easiest ever start to a season.

When KK came back we played a few decent teams and lost to the lot. Successive spankings at the Emirates, a drilling off Man Utd and the standard defeat at Anfield all bring back dark memories.

Those were 4 nailed on defeats. The manner of which weren't great mind. Plus defeats to Chelsea, Villa, Everton, Arsenal again were hardly unexpected.

It just took us a while to get going that's all.

My first ever game at SJP today in  1977, sat in the east stand with my uncle and cousin  :

1977 Middlesbrough (h)

1-0 (1-0)

Division One

Kennedy(3)

Cooper

Alan Kennedy gave United an early lead, and there was no further scoring. However, Terry Cooper was dismissed for the visitors. Among the Boro ranks were David Mills, John Craggs and Stuart Boam, all of whom subsequently moved to Gallowgate.

Those were 4 nailed on defeats. The manner of which weren't great mind. Plus defeats to Chelsea, Villa, Everton, Arsenal again were hardly unexpected.

It just took us a while to get going that's all.

I think we were one of the form teams in the league come the end of the season. Some cracking performances, particularly the 4-1 at WHL.