On This Day... Personal Memories

TheGuv

20 years to the day we beat Bristol City 3-0 in KK's first game.

Anyone on here who went to it?

was standing in the gallowgate,and up on the barriers after we scored. what a fking game.

Aye. Got off the bus at SJP, then to my horror i realised i'd left my season ticket at home. Wife had to jump on a bus and bring it down for me. Just made it in time, but it was torture listening to the crowd from outside the ground. Was the biggest game for a long while and not the sort of day for something like that to happen.

Aye. Got off the bus at SJP, then to my horror i realised i'd left my season ticket at home. Wife had to jump on a bus and bring it down for me. Just made it in time, but it was torture listening to the crowd from outside the ground. Was the biggest game for a long while and not the sort of day for something like that to happen.

I remember it well. I was quite worried about their forward (dariusz djackenowski ?) but in the end we rolled them over. had  a chat on the way down gallowgate with an elderly city fan who said we had nothing to beat that day but was sure we'd stop up.

I was there but I can't recall if I was in the Leazes end or in a seat on the Leazes side of the east stand. There was only ever going to be one winner on that day. The strange thiing though was that Ozzy was not as unpopular a manager at the time to the fans than his record should have suggested. He blooded a lot of kids that year, and that was part of the problem, if you thought we were a little too open and too biased towards forward play under KK, it was nothing compared to Ozzy's team, hehe, they were a lot of fun to watch despite the results. Absolutely no doubt in my mind though that had they not made the change then we would have went down to the third tier for the first time in our history.

Massive thanks for posting those clips Guv, not seen that before.

(how shit was Tommy Wright?)

Listening to that (on next vid) Derby 4-1 is one of, if not my first, memory of football on the way back from the old Tesco at Kingston Park. :anguish

Can remember my Dad going spare at the radio.

• 2 weeks later...

I was chronically hung over watching that game, I'd been on the lash all weekend and it was a Sunday night KO.

Man City fans that night were crawling all over the town. Never seen as much trouble in Newcastle since, was a pretty tense atmosphere.

Was in The Corner.

Went turnstile to turnstile from the Gallowgate and finally got in at the Leazes end...

Just a question... Was Cole playing for them that year?

I was in Leverkusen. One of my favourite ever trips. £50 return on the coach, class day on the lash in Cologne and a win.

Happy days, although seems a frighteningly long time ago.

seeing as its bobby's birthday, was today the day shola and lua ripped leverkusen to shreds?

aye.  Also Jenas' birthday too isn't it?  Seem to remember Bobby saying Lady Elsie reckoned there were loads of similarities between Jenas and Bobby as a player.

mm twas, his 20th bobby's 70th iirc