On This Day... Personal Memories

TheGuv

Newcastle Online *cough cough*

2006 Speaking about the vacant position of manager, Chairman Freddy Shepherd said:

"There have been stories sweeping Tyneside about who I'm supposed to be meeting and where. It is highly organised and designed to make people a lot of money.

"There was even a 'leaked' full colour brochure doing the rounds in Newcastle which laid out Ottmar Hitzfeld's CV and his record as a manager.

"It's amazing the lengths people will go to start a rumour which means they can bet for or against a certain person getting the job.

"But I can state here and now that there has been no approach to Hitzfeld and there are no plans to approach him.

"I've said all along we will take our time over this appointment. We've rushed into things before and we've made mistakes, I admit that.

"That's not the case this time. Glenn Roeder is an excellent caretaker, a really safe pair of hands so we can afford to make sure we appoint the right man without the necessity of being hurried into it."

:lol:

Guest Geordiesned

25 years ago today hundreds of Newcastle fans came very close to losing their lives at White Hart Lane. The police tried to cram about 12,000 fans into an enclosure nowhere near big enough. Spurs fans helped pull some fans to safety and others managed to clamber over railings. 2 years before Hillsbrough but no lessons were learnt.

25 years ago today hundreds of Newcastle fans came very close to losing their lives at White Hart Lane. The police tried to cram about 12,000 fans into an enclosure nowhere near big enough. Spurs fans helped pull some fans to safety and others managed to clamber over railings. 2 years before Hillsbrough but no lessons were learnt.

yep wasnt aware of the aniversary, and was talking about this this afternoon with my dad who I went with, lost him in the confusion, watched the second half from the top of a fence, as there was no room on the terrace.

edit- they opened the segragation in front of the shelf, to toon fans, and as they went in were pelted with bolts from the seats, saw a bloke with split head.

Whilst it doesn't really compare, I remember being at Villa Park in 1995 (Ferdinand scored in a 1-1) and there was a horrendous crush at half time. The sole exit/entrance tunnel from the stand to the concourse was very narrow and as fans passed each other (many, as usual, pissed) there was a pretty nasty 30 seconds were there was a real squeeze. A lot of folk were beginning to panic as more people tried to get in and out the stand. Was a pretty nasty incident and my Dad I think, wrote to AVFC to complain. Will need to check with him to see if he ever got a reply.

Just seen this on facebook as well.

'25years ago today, we played Spurs in the 5th round of F.A.Cup.

I was 17, and went with my 14 yr old brother and father. Probably the most frightening experience ever watching Newcastle. If Neil McDonald had scored in the last minute, you would never have had a Hillsbrough disaster, it would have been the White Hart Lane Disaster.

Estimated 14,000 to 17,000 Newcastle fans sandwiched together in the paddocks of the Park Lane End.'

and this.

I was 17 that year and was a fucking mental day,seen grown men crushed to fuck crying their eyes out,had to fight with the coppers to get that section to the right open,alf garnet at half time and the seven sisters road dust ups before and after the game...crazy times.

Guest Howaythetoon

Whilst it doesn't really compare, I remember being at Villa Park in 1995 (Ferdinand scored in a 1-1) and there was a horrendous crush at half time. The sole exit/entrance tunnel from the stand to the concourse was very narrow and as fans passed each other (many, as usual, p*ssed) there was a pretty nasty 30 seconds were there was a real squeeze. A lot of folk were beginning to panic as more people tried to get in and out the stand. Was a pretty nasty incident and my Dad I think, wrote to AVFC to complain. Will need to check with him to see if he ever got a reply.

Probably me being skitzy, but in our championship season away to Palace at Selhurst, there was quite  a squeeze at half-time outside the away end in the open and at full-time, I know there was delays in getting into the ground, deffo more than the 3K reported or something. I had my then 11 year old nephew with me and he was pretty scared, at one point some big fuck off bloke, literally pushed a few people aside so we could manovere a way to catch our breath. Just for a few minutes I thought to myself, just how easy a crush or a squeeze could happen, and this was not during the game itself but at half time and full-time.

Whilst it doesn't really compare, I remember being at Villa Park in 1995 (Ferdinand scored in a 1-1) and there was a horrendous crush at half time. The sole exit/entrance tunnel from the stand to the concourse was very narrow and as fans passed each other (many, as usual, p*ssed) there was a pretty nasty 30 seconds were there was a real squeeze. A lot of folk were beginning to panic as more people tried to get in and out the stand. Was a pretty nasty incident and my Dad I think, wrote to AVFC to complain. Will need to check with him to see if he ever got a reply.

Probably me being skitzy, but in our championship season away to Palace at Selhurst, there was quite  a squeeze at half-time outside the away end in the open and at full-time, I know there was delays in getting into the ground, deffo more than the 3K reported or something. I had my then 11 year old nephew with me and he was pretty scared, at one point some big f*** off bloke, literally pushed a few people aside so we could manovere a way to catch our breath. Just for a few minutes I thought to myself, just how easy a crush or a squeeze could happen, and this was not during the game itself but at half time and full-time.

quite possible, i wasn't there but i remember similar happening at selhurst park when we played wimbledon in the league cup, loads of space all over but the police managed to engineer a crush.

Just seen this on facebook as well.

'25years ago today, we played Spurs in the 5th round of F.A.Cup.

I was 17, and went with my 14 yr old brother and father. Probably the most frightening experience ever watching Newcastle. If Neil McDonald had scored in the last minute, you would never have had a Hillsbrough disaster, it would have been the White Hart Lane Disaster.

Estimated 14,000 to 17,000 Newcastle fans sandwiched together in the paddocks of the Park Lane End.'

and this.

I was 17 that year and was a f***ing mental day,seen grown men crushed to f*** crying their eyes out,had to fight with the coppers to get that section to the right open,alf garnet at half time and the seven sisters road dust ups before and after the game...crazy times.

i was lucky enough to be in the seats that day.didn't seem too bad till those that had climbed up into the seats started telling us about just how bad it was.

Probably me being skitzy, but in our championship season away to Palace at Selhurst, there was quite  a squeeze at half-time outside the away end in the open and at full-time, I know there was delays in getting into the ground, deffo more than the 3K reported or something. I had my then 11 year old nephew with me and he was pretty scared, at one point some big f*** off bloke, literally pushed a few people aside so we could manovere a way to catch our breath. Just for a few minutes I thought to myself, just how easy a crush or a squeeze could happen, and this was not during the game itself but at half time and full-time.

quite possible, i wasn't there but i remember similar happening at selhurst park when we played wimbledon in the league cup, loads of space all over but the police managed to engineer a crush.

There was a crush at St Peter's metro after the Derby this season. Instead of letting people on a few at a time, the bobby's basically let everyone pile on to the staircase leading to the platform. Idiots. Someone could easily have been seriously hurt.

Dabizas 1-0 at the SOS

Best goal celebration ever. Absolute mayhem, ended up five rows forward, essentially crowd surfing.

Who could forget this chest:

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/jan2011/2/2/nikos-dabizas-325864431.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BooBoo

Speaking after the game Roeder said "the season won't fizzle out because Glenn Roeder won't let it fizzle out."

The season promptly fizzled out.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Huntington :scared:

Such a bloody awful night. I remember Parker having a good chance near the end.

Guest neesy111

5 years today since we got knocked out to Aalkmar.

Roeder was a joke that game. I just remember being pissed off all night infront of the tele.

Worst set of tactics I've ever seen a manager employ.

Roeder was a joke that game. I just remember being p*ssed off all night infront of the tele.

they were bad but most of allardyce's were worse.

Roeder was a joke that game. I just remember being p*ssed off all night infront of the tele.

they were bad but most of allardyce's were worse.

Derby Away  :scared: