On This Day... Personal Memories

TheGuv

• 5 weeks later...

1934 Liverpool (h)

9-2 (2-2)

Division One

J.R.Richardson(3,3-2,4-2), Weaver(25,5-2,6-2), Boyd(7-2), Lang(8-2), Williams(9-2) Taylor(24), og(Betton)(36)

One of United's greatest ever second half performances, as seven goals were notched without reply by the Magpies.

United centre half Alec Betton had put through his own goal to make it 2-2 before the break, beating debutant goalkeeper Bill McPhillips.

Never heard of this result before.

9-2 FTS

• 1 month later...
Finally, having deliberately tried to shy away from references to the War (which the toon fans mostly avoided, apart from some Dambusters arm-waving renditions), one small incident does warrant mention, if only for the comedic value.

With Newcastle fans returning from the game and being routed through the woods back to the station, a number of fans mistakenly ended up on the platforms rather than in the town.

And spotting a gap in the fence, a couple of daft lads jumped down and made their way across the lines, rousing a police dog handler into dashing along the platform with his Alsatian, shouting “Halt! Halt!” Fortunately a volley of machine gun fire didn’t follow, and nobody asked to see their papers.

11 years today - 3-1 win over Leverkusen

• 3 weeks later...

1 year ago today! Pre-match boozing around Red Square and The Kremlin was a bit different to say the least! Cracking trip!

My pink Russian hat and green coat certainly looked a treat! Ha ha ha!

http://www.nufc.co.uk/javaImages/84/eb/0,,10278~11725700,00.gif

http://www.svenskafans.com/image/7/428280/Follow-the-Money-Del-2-Affordable-Football.jpg

Shearer making it 2-1 was about as excited I've ever been about a football game, goal or anything else in life for that matter.

Surreal.

Seems distant now.

I was young at the time and had to go to bed at half time, my dad sprinted upstairs to tell me Shearer had made it 2-1 and I got to watch the rest of the match :aww:

Great. Good dad :thup: :lol:

Remember watching that on the TV at home. The support was as good as I've ever seen for an away game really. Great times...

I was young at the time and had to go to bed at half time, my dad sprinted upstairs to tell me Shearer had made it 2-1 and I got to watch the rest of the match :aww:

Think I'd have run away before he had the chance to call you back.

Can also vividly remember Nobby cracking one against the bar early on.

That would have been some goal, and the fact that it was Nobby too would have been such a special moment.

Painful replay to watch.

45 years ago, 45!!!!! years since we thumped Vitoria Setubal 5-1 in the Fairs Cup on a lovely, bloody lovely night! Can still see their lot now, poor buggers had never seen snow before! Feel even older when I also see it was 37 years ago when we beat Norwich 5-1 with Graham Oates scoring - you lot who complain about some of our players now should count your blessings you didn't have to watch this bloke. I remember his most notable achievement was scoring an own goal from about 25 yards (can't remember who against) - was possibly the best o.g by one of our own, although Glen Keeley against the smoggies comes close!

I'll never get over the fact I was never at that San Siro game or Rotterdam. Wasn't allowed to miss school for away games. Got to the UEFA games over the next few years too, fucking Belgrade.

I remember proudly telling my Sixth Form ICT teacher that I wouldn't be at school for the last 2 days of the week because of the Marseille away semi. He was a top guy looking back but it felt good to piss him off like that.

I'll never get over the fact I was never at that San Siro game or Rotterdam. Wasn't allowed to miss school for away games. Got to the UEFA games over the next few years too, f***ing Belgrade.

I remember proudly telling my Sixth Form ICT teacher that I wouldn't be at school for the last 2 days of the week because of the Marseille away semi. He was a top guy looking back but it felt good to p*ss him off like that.

It was one of my main tensions with my school, and in family a bit. My dad would take me to anything but my mam  wasn't particularly keen once well into a year - I missed a few September days for Scotland away games and a couple UEFA cups in other years but CL was deep into my SATS year (which seemed important at the time). Remember trying to explain why Yeading away was a game I had to go to too, when I hadn't revised for a little French test cos I was there.

Having done quite alright at school, and knowing how much I wish I was at the San Siro, I know I'd approach it differently with my child. Sure loads of teachers would understand, remember my english teacher wanting to hear all about my Heizel trip that I'd missed school for (Belgium-Scotland).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 Years today Pardew said this.

2012 Some self-fulfilling prophecies from Alan Pardew about season 2012/13:

"I’m hoping that I will educate our fans for next season.

"If they think we can finish fifth with a European campaign and the finances we’ve got, it’s impossible. I honestly believe that you need to be a bit more open with the fans. The problem some managers have is they’re not open enough.

"This year, I’m sure we’ll say something like, ‘We’re looking for a top-eight finish, hopefully attack one of the cups and have a great run in Europe. I wouldn’t say we couldn’t challenge for the top six if we got knocked out of Europe. Then we wouldn’t have those extra 13 games."

29 years ago today.

http://www.fotballen.eu/artikler/Heysel/Heysel6.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MT1X_Hpnt_o/S_vQrw8dORI/AAAAAAAABFU/05efL6-PtuE/s1600/Heysel+Stadium+disaster.jpg

http://fearlessreds.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/heysel.jpg

Anybody have any memories? Was anyone there (unlikely)?

R.I.P.