On This Day... Personal Memories

TheGuv

pointless nostalgia moment:-  Does anyone remember the hassle of trying to watch some of our CL games that season?

I seem to remember the opening game away in Kiev was only on the ITV news channel, which at the time was only on the ill-fated ITV digital service.  No fucker had it.  I think me and my dad watched the start through the window of my packed local pub, then managed to sneak in after about 20 minutes as people began to nip out for tabs.

pointless nostalgia moment:-  Does anyone remember the hassle of trying to watch some of our CL games that season?

I seem to remember the opening game away in Kiev was only on the ITV news channel, which at the time was only on the ill-fated ITV digital service.  No fucker had it.  I think me and my dad watched the start through the window of my packed local pub, then managed to sneak in after about 20 minutes as people began to nip out for tabs.

Aye. It was the first year 4 English teams had been allowed in the CL and it played fucking havoc with ITV as they tried to shoehorn every match onto one of their channels.

Aye the Kiev game was on the news channel, I remember the Ukranian footage pretty much missed their opening goal.

I seem to remember the opening game away in Kiev was only on the ITV news channel, which at the time was only on the ill-fated ITV digital service.  No f***er had it.  I think me and my dad watched the start through the window of my packed local pub, then managed to sneak in after about 20 minutes as people began to nip out for tabs.

Yep, was an absolute nightmare like. Missed a couple of them because of this. Wouldn't happen nowadays at least!

That whole Champions League adventure was just a brilliant time. Probably my favourite season as a NUFC fan and I've been going since the late 80s. Went to Juventus, Inter and Leverkusen. Amazing memories of all three, just a pity it now seems so long ago. Keith Barrett put on a jumbo jet for Inter and had the plane decked out in black and white deco.

There's nowt better than a Euro jaunt following Newcastle. I'll be travelling should we ever get back to the Europa League whether it be a glamour club or FC Arsehole.

Shearer's 2nd at Inter was the most unbelievable moment of my life if Bellamy in Rotterdam was the best. Just could not believe my eyes when Toldo spilled it and he tapped it in. Would seriously have killed to be in that away end.

It was mental. Both goals were lustily celebrated, bodies flying everywhere.

In terms of manic goal celebrations, Dabizas at the SOL still remians top of the pile. Ridiculous. Ended up three or four rows forward, basically involuntarily crowd surfing.

Shearer getting his second at Inter was arguably my best moment following us ever, though it's beyond difficult to say. When Vieri equalised early in the second half, there was sort of the acceptance that we'd had our fun and the clear favourites would likely win the game. Couldn't believe it when we took the lead again, insane.

Can anyone remember Nobby hitting the bar in the first few minutes? Had a feeling then that this could be a decent game...

Shearer getting his second at Inter was arguably my best moment following us ever, though it's beyond difficult to say. When Vieri equalised early in the second half, there was sort of the acceptance that we'd had our fun and the clear favourites would likely win the game. Couldn't believe it when we took the lead again, insane.

Can anyone remember Nobby hitting the bar in the first few minutes? Had a feeling then that this could be a decent game...

Would have been a belter. Would love to see the game as it was televised. We went on Keith's Jumbo n stayed in that hotel next to the little train station. The shop next to it did a roaring trade in beer.

Didn't go to Feyenoord as I thought we were out but the money saved helped pay for Milan and Barca (with Keith again n the carry on getting the flight and coaches changed). Fuck knows how we found the coach afterwards; it was hard enough to walk never mind trying to find the coaches.

Shearer's 2nd at Inter was the most unbelievable moment of my life if Bellamy in Rotterdam was the best. Just could not believe my eyes when Toldo spilled it and he tapped it in. Would seriously have killed to be in that away end.

In terms of manic goal celebrations, Dabizas at the SOL still remians top of the pile. Ridiculous. Ended up three or four rows forward, basically involuntarily crowd surfing.

Rob Lee at Wembley for me.

Aye tbf, that was up there.

From my seat, Rob Lee's head was perfectly blocked out by the cross bar. Had no idea who scored until after the game.

:lol: :lol:

Can anyone remember Nobby hitting the bar in the first few minutes?

That was one of those I'd rather it had gone in row Z than do what it did. Unbelievable hit. Frustratingly inches from taking the lead and being such an epic goal.

literally just entered the stadium (thanks milan police for fuck all you horrid pack of proto-fascists) and my first sight of the ball was with the ball in mid air headed towards, as it turned out, the crossbar.

Rob Lee at Wembley for me.

mick and cp40 may want to throw in here but the liam o chip at joker park in the 1-1 was some of the wildest celebrations, particulalry as they seemed to start well before the ball crossed the line.

Newcastle 1-3 Manu on this day in 2004, under Souness. Went loopy when Shearer scored; infuriating when the horse took the lead again for them moments later. One of the most infuriating/exhausting feelings in football. Taking ages to equalise, only for the opposition to nick a second immediately after. Can remember Ronny Johnsen doing his alma mater a couple of favours in this one like.

literally just entered the stadium (thanks milan police for f*** all you horrid pack of proto-fascists) and my first sight of the ball was with the ball in mid air headed towards, as it turned out, the crossbar.

IIRC weren't Milan fans p***ing on Toon fans and the Police did f*** all about it?

3 years today that we've played Wigan at SJP where Owen equalized late after that early Ryan Taylor goal. Martins and Bramble's goal made it a draw.

Incredible to think that, without conceding that very late Bramble goal, we eventually would have stayed up. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...