Stoke City vs Newcastle United pre-match thread (31/10/11 @ 8pm) - Live on Sky

Fenham Mag

If we go 3rd fucking hell, bound to lose now though.  know we have not played anyone but what confidence it would give us and also teams like Man U and Chelsea will be a bit more wary about how they approach our game.

Also good incentive for our players going into Monday.

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

victory against Stoke imperative to keep a distance with ARSENAL  and pass chelsea

correction  :blush: google translation

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

victory against Stoke imperative to keep a distance with weapons and pass chelsea

Sunderland? :lol:

not speak English does not mean stupid

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

victory against Stoke imperative to keep a distance with weapons and pass chelsea

Sunderland? :lol:

not speak English does not mean stupid

no problem my friend

that's why I responds  :snod:

I know mate, just joking. O0

Interesting stat in the paper - 6 out of Stoke's 7 league goals have come from headers. We can't afford to be weak in that area, so I'm sure Pardew will stick with his usual starting line-up.

It's a tough game, but this team consistently does that bit better than expected, and won't be bullied.

I think thats the wrong way to put it. We can never beat Stoke at their own type of game. We need a good defensive base + attacking, quick technical players like Arfa, Marv and Jonas

Pardew agrees:

SCFC: Begovic; Wilson, Shawcross, Huth, Higginbotham; Pennant, Whelan, Delap, Etherington; Jones, Walters.

Subs: Sorensen, Collins, Fuller, Pugh, Diao, Whitehead, Wilkinson.

NUFC: Harper; Williamson, Campbell, Coloccini; Simpson, Barton, Tiote, Nolan, Enrique; Ameobi, Lovenkrands.

Subs: Krul, S.Taylor, Guthrie, Ferguson, Gutierrez, Kuqi, Ranger.

Final score: 4 - 0

'28 - Walters

'46 - Pennant

'49 - Higginbotham

'90+2 - Fuller

http://www.teamtalk.com/newcastle-united/7272864/Pardew-vows-to-attack-Stoke

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has vowed not to make the mistake of worrying about Stoke after taking the blame for a 4-0 defeat there last season.

Pardew believes last season's result at Stoke can be partly put down to giving Tony Pulis' side the psychological advantage.

The Britannia Stadium is considered one of the toughest trips in the Premier League because of a combination of the Potters' physical prowess and their vocal fans.

Pardew said: "Physically and mentally it's a test, and it's a test we failed last year, and I must take some blame for that defeat.

"It was probably the only game that got away from us, and maybe I put too much emphasis on what Stoke did rather than hurting them, and I won't make that mistake again, but it's still very difficult to defend against and we need our warriors and we need people to stand up and concentrate."

While Stoke's threat from corners and Rory Delap's long throws has been endlessly highlighted, Pardew stressed they have more a lot more strings to their bow than simply a talent for set-pieces.

The Newcastle boss believes wingers Matthew Etherington and Jermaine Pennant present just as big a threat to his side, along with strikers Peter Crouch, Kenwyne Jones and Jon Walters.

"Matty Etherington did absolutely brilliantly for me at West Ham and is a fine player, and Pennant on the other side," said Pardew.

"There aren't many sides who play with two wingers and two strikers, and therefore they put you under a lot of pressure. They're going to score goals, so you have to defend very, very well.

"They've got the bonus of the long throw, and a team with an average height of about 6ft 7in, so it's difficult. It's a difficult place to get anything, and, after Tottenham at home, I think our toughest game this season."

Pardew knows his opposite number at Stoke, Tony Pulis, very well and has nothing but admiration for the job the Welshman has done in the Potteries.

Having been favourites to go straight back down following their surprise promotion in 2008, Stoke comprehensively proved the doubters wrong by finishing 12th and have built on that over the last two seasons, reaching the FA Cup final in May to qualify for the Europa League.

Pardew thinks one of the secrets to Pulis' success has been an astute eye in the transfer market, highlighting the signing of Walters from Ipswich last summer for £2.75million.

Pardew added: "What he's done at Stoke, when he has had a bit of cash, he's used it very well. They very rarely waste money on a player.

"Walters is a good example of plucking a player from the Football League who's turned out to be a top Premier League player. Hats off to him and his staff. They're in a position, even more so than us, where you would guarantee them a top-10 finish."

Harper

Simpson  Williamson  Campbell    Coloccini    Enrique                                   

Barton  Tiote  Nolan

Ameobi    Lovenkrands

That's quite a team :lol:

I seem to remember at the time that the scoreline flattered them as well.

Harper

Simpson  Williamson  Campbell    Coloccini    Enrique                                   

Barton  Tiote  Nolan

Ameobi    Lovenkrands

That's quite a team :lol:

I seem to remember at the time that the scoreline flattered them as well.

Harper was poor for at least three of their goals, can't quite remember the fourth.