Newcastle United 2 - 1 Everton - 05/11/11 - post-match reaction from page 26

James

Krul 7 - Not much to do. Didn't command his box especially well and continue to pull his kicks

Simpson 6.5 - Poor on the goal, generally solid though

Colo 7.5 - Solid as, largely kept them to shooting from range. Distributed the ball well.

Taylor 7 - Good, good

Roberto Carlos 7 - Great going forward, but doubled the work of an already under-performing Jonas.

Marveaux 7 - Thought he was really good until he got injured. Don't think we tactically used him as well as we could have. Like to see him on the left.

Guthrie 7 - Worked really hard, with some good touches.

Cabaye 8 - Excellent until his injury kicked in. We were looking really slick first 20 minutes - largely thanks to Mr Yohan. Get well soon!

Jonas 6 - Improved second half but not his day. Still one of our two top performers this season by quite some way. Rest up Spidey :thup:

Best 8 - I was really impressed with him today. Didn't get his goal, but help up the ball, showed really good predatory instincts and battled well. Worked for the team.

Ba 6 - Thought he was poor today if I'm honest. Perhaps understandably selfish, he was slow to release the ball and lost possession a lot when there were options on.

Sammy 7.5 - Everton couldn't be arsed with him. Perfect sub. Sloppy in possession once or twice though. Concentrate Sammy!

Gosling 6.5 - Grafted, but didn't show much quality on the ball.

Ben Arfa 7.5 - Very, very encouraging. Blending his undoubted skill with some discipline and intelligence. Can't be far away from the first-team on this form.

As a general thing, I think the after-effects of the Stoke game were really evident today. We look knackered, lost our rhythm and were really slow in releasing our final ball.

Great first 11 games. :celb:

7.5 very generous for Ben Arfa, he showed a few nice touches but did nothing out of the ordinary, 6.5 max imo

No. Carried the ball, won a few free kicks, looked nifty.

Did ok, but better than Guthrie? Like fuck. :lol:

BBC talking about our 'easy start to the season'.

When will the c***s start to dig out some praise.

It's that fucking Garth Crooks, he just doesn't want to admit that we're doing well, every game is a tough game in the Premier League so give us a little credit for god sake, im starting to hate him more than Lawro.

yeah but we have to play man u . citeh , chelsea- nobody else will have to play them at some point.

Guest michaelfoster

Krul 7 - Not much to do. Didn't command his box especially well and continue to pull his kicks

Simpson 6.5 - Poor on the goal, generally solid though

Colo 7.5 - Solid as, largely kept them to shooting from range. Distributed the ball well.

Taylor 7 - Good, good

Roberto Carlos 7 - Great going forward, but doubled the work of an already under-performing Jonas.

Marveaux 7 - Thought he was really good until he got injured. Don't think we tactically used him as well as we could have. Like to see him on the left.

Guthrie 7 - Worked really hard, with some good touches.

Cabaye 8 - Excellent until his injury kicked in. We were looking really slick first 20 minutes - largely thanks to Mr Yohan. Get well soon!

Jonas 6 - Improved second half but not his day. Still one of our two top performers this season by quite some way. Rest up Spidey :thup:

Best 8 - I was really impressed with him today. Didn't get his goal, but help up the ball, showed really good predatory instincts and battled well. Worked for the team.

Ba 6 - Thought he was poor today if I'm honest. Perhaps understandably selfish, he was slow to release the ball and lost possession a lot when there were options on.

Sammy 7.5 - Everton couldn't be arsed with him. Perfect sub. Sloppy in possession once or twice though. Concentrate Sammy!

Gosling 6.5 - Grafted, but didn't show much quality on the ball.

Ben Arfa 7.5 - Very, very encouraging. Blending his undoubted skill with some discipline and intelligence. Can't be far away from the first-team on this form.

As a general thing, I think the after-effects of the Stoke game were really evident today. We look knackered, lost our rhythm and were really slow in releasing our final ball.

Great first 11 games. :celb:

7.5 very generous for Ben Arfa, he showed a few nice touches but did nothing out of the ordinary, 6.5 max imo

No. Carried the ball, won a few free kicks, looked nifty.

Solid but unspectacular, did his job & kept possession, showed a few nice touches & dribbles, his best cameo performance of the season for us but didn't do enough to warrent a 7.5 in 20 mins

Guest michaelfoster

1878 wants to know how our lot is 2nd after playing s*** and yet being better than them over 90 minutes? How bad are Everton then?

Everton played better than us whole of 2nd half tbh

1878 wants to know how our lot is 2nd after playing s*** and yet being better than them over 90 minutes? How bad are Everton then?

They hardly puts us under real pressure though, did they? I thought it was an intense 2nd half, but our organisation was top class at the back.

They had more ball than they did in first half, but no one played better than anyone as it was a very bad 2nd half for both sides. Doubt anyone would be happy to play a half like that.

They hardly puts us under real pressure though, did they? I thought it was an intense 2nd half, but our organisation was top class at the back.

:thup: I basically gave Everton too much credit in thinking they had to get another goal, before realising as the game went on just how bad their finishing was. But all in all it was a fantastic defensive performance, obviously with a few scares that you're undoubtedly going to get when being dominated for the whole of a second half. As has already been mentioned, if we didn't have Tiote, Cabaye and Marv all out that second half would've gone a lot smoother.

Also very impressed that, even though we were pinned back most of the time, we were still able to get in their half and threaten from time to time, even if it wasn't a great threat.

We were rocking a bit second half as we tired and while Everton had plenty of the ball it wasn't like Krul was forced into loads of saves. That said they definitely should've had a penalty off Gosling's handball.

Still a proper gutsy, tough performance and the 2 week break couldn't come at a better time. To lose almost you're entire midfield but battle it out and get the 3 points was fantastic. Still it wouldn't have been as nervy had we gone in 2-0 up, I thought we were poor end of the first half giving the ball away and Raylor should've stayed on the post for their goal. It was a good delivery though.

I couldn't give two fucks what the media say about us, they're the ones creating the "do they deserve to be there/are they good enough" debate. The media said when we went down that we would struggle in the Championship because its such a tough league and every match will be a cup final. We got promoted and I then remember hearing comments about how the championship was weak anyway,  :lol: :lol:

Lets just go to the Manc clubs without any pressure and see what happens. The way Man U are playing at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if we got something there.

What Lawrenson going to say now the cunt? "Was a tight affair and I thought Newcastle were a bit fortunate"??? Not we defended well, the midfield performed given the injuries and Raylor's strike was a match winner that's for sure. And then when we most probably lose at Citeh he'll say "well I predicted they might struggle at City and come unstuck and I was proved right" (where 99% of teams in the league will get turned over)

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

An away win at Old Trafford would be epic, considering how long the time has been since we've last won there.

Think we'll get a point. Would be immense.

An away win at Old Trafford would be epic, considering how long the time has been since we've last won there.

I think Tony Green was playing the last time we won there in the league and a good few years before I was born. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

We were very poor for large parts I thought and were quite fortunate to come away with all 3 points given the chances Everton had - and some clear cut ones at that - and of course our own inability to keep the ball for any long period after the break but we defended superbly as a team and just about managed it. Everton for all their chances and second half 'dominance' were equally poor I thought with no real pattern to their play. If we were on song today we would have inflicted a heavy defeat on them.

We were quite fortunate with our opening goal but Simpson deserves credit for what was a very dangerous ball that was very hard to defend as it proved. I thought he actually had a good game all-round myself and although he was marking thier scorer sometimes you just have to hand credit to the runner. When the ball is that perfect, the run so well timed and the quality of header as good as it was there is little a defender can do outside of fouling his man.

Ryan Taylor's goal was magnificent and sweetly struck, a goal that deserves to win any game. He too was very good.

Overall a great result, 3 very good points but a poor performance. Although acceptable due to injuries and having put so much into the game at Stoke, there are still some worrying signs and issues that need addressed if we are to continue winning games because again, Everton could have easily won this one. Tiredness and injuries do not excuse poor ball retention and tactics.

As soon as they got their goal we just sat back and tried to hold onto our lead, often hoofing it forwards. We surrended possession cheaply and a better side than Everton would have punished us massively. Play like we did in the second half against either of the Manchester's for example and we'll get turned over and maybe badly so.

That said, we won and we remain unbeaten. It is actually encouraging that we can still get a result despite playing badly, despite injuries and despite tiredness.

I thought Pardew was very positive with his subs by the way. I wouldn't blame him for our second half lack of ball possession and deep defending.

Happy days all in all.

I think its understandable that we were off the boil in the 2nd half considering the patched up midfield. First half we played some great stuff.

Thought Colo was fantastic. Guthrie had a really good game. Someone earlier giving Ba a 6? Totally disagree, I thought he hald the ball up really well and fought for everything. Leon Best is becoming frustrating for me. He needs to learn the offside rule.

Good result again. Krul needs a man on his near post for corners. More so for a corner seconds past the alloted injury time.

Best I would give 11 - Thats 1 for each time he was caught (needlessly) offside. The bloke must have cotton wool between his ears.

If you've got a good defense and players like Raylor, Cabaye who can bang on in from distance you're always going to give yourself a great chance for 3 points.

I think we would've buried them with Tiote and Cabaye on the pitch for the full match even if they had their starters too.