Some vaguely amusing football jocularity

M4

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure that’s never going to happen. Hilal won’t be happy with that; PIF or not,  Hilal fans will be disappointed and I doubt their board will give a shit about helping Newcastle at their expense.

9 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Don't think it would happen but he wouldn't be wrong 

He wouldn't be wrong but it seems increasingly like all the teams at the top get there by pulling this sort of thing, whether it be dodgy sponsorships, cooking the books or being part of a cabal that creates a cartel.

I'd rather we didn't but those at the top have no room to whine if it happened.

Just now, madras said:

He wouldn't be wrong but it seems increasingly like all the teams at the top get there by pulling this sort of thing, whether it be dodgy sponsorships, cooking the books or being part of a cabal that creates a cartel.

I'd rather we didn't but those at the top have no room to whine if it happened.

Hmm I dunno. Man City and Chelsea certainly wouldn't, the rest can argue that they got to where they are without financial doping. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Hmm I dunno. Man City and Chelsea certainly wouldn't, the rest can argue that they got to where they are without financial doping. 

Liverpool and Man Utd wanted and got their own interviews with Masters before he got the top job, pushed for Champs league format and prize money to create a cartel and pushed and got a mid season rule change to stop us.

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I expect very few top clubs could legitimately claim to have got where they are without financial doping/external investment at some point. It’s also only very recently that getting pumped with money has been framed as cheating, as that’s the narrative that currently suits the ESL clubs.

17 minutes ago, madras said:

Liverpool and Man Utd wanted and got their own interviews with Masters before he got the top job, pushed for Champs league format and prize money to create a cartel and pushed and got a mid season rule change to stop us.

Well I would expect their fans to be ideologically consistent and not partisan when it comes to the things that are ruining the game, so in cases where they're not you have a point about their hypocrisy and exceptionalism, but it still won't mean they're wrong.

Edited by Kid Icarus

5 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I expect very few top clubs could legitimately claim to have got where they are without financial doping/external investment at some point. It’s also only very recently that getting pumped with money has been framed as cheating, as that’s the narrative that currently suits the ESL clubs.

I guess it depends on where you draw the line between investment and clearly pumping money in far, far beyond the club's revenue. Imo that line was crossed by Chelsea. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I guess it depends on where you draw the line between investment and clearly pumping money in far, far beyond the club's revenue. Imo that line was crossed by Chelsea. 

But what about the value of the club as a result of the investment? Man City and Chelsea can probably sell for much more than has been invested in them. So there’s a strong argument that the money being pumped in makes good business sense.

Btw the obvious answer to all of this is for clubs in the same league to have the same transfer budget and wage budget. It’s clearly most desirable situation from a sporting point of view. No clubs will want it though as they all want an unfair financial advantage. ESL clubs certainly don’t want it, as they have made two attempts recently to permanently kill off everyone outside their elite group.

2 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

But what about the value of the club as a result of the investment? Man City and Chelsea can probably sell for much more than has been invested in them. So there’s a strong argument that the money being pumped in makes good business sense.

Btw the obvious answer to all of this is for clubs in the same league to have the same transfer budget and wage budget. It’s clearly most desirable situation from a sporting point of view. No clubs will want it though as they all want an unfair financial advantage. ESL clubs certainly don’t want it, as they have made two attempts recently to permanently kill off everyone outside their elite group.

It might make good business sense , but from a sports point of view or fan's point of view it's a different perspective.  Even then I would argue that the true value of the club wouldn't match up with the larger amount of money that had been spent, or (much more likely) the value itself will be inflated. It definitely feels like we're on the cusp of something though - new investors publicly listing clubs and their value inflating even more in this insane stock bubble we're in, or expansion into a European Super League either explicitly or in all but name through the back door. It's the Alien vs Predator thing for me, whoever wins we lose. :lol:

A model like the one you're suggesting would be ideal like, but that's how the PL broke away in the first place so until it's a UEFA or FIFA forced rule, it would be suicide for any league to do that on its own at the moment. When the bubble eventually bursts there might be an opening but I'd be shocked.

On 27/06/2023 at 10:24, Kid Icarus said:

Blackburn 13years earlier. Pre Premier League.

A nothing second division club that had honestly just averaged just over 8,000 tried to sign the captain of England, then lure a manager who had won the league a year earlier out of retirement, spent astronomically by the standards of the day to get promoted (£6m in one year, only Ferguson had spent more a few years earlier at Man U and that was considered wild) and broke the British record transfer the following summer.

A true underdog story, as its since been rewritten as.

Don't think there was ever a consideration to stop it then because it would have looked like exactly what it was. Basically cheating to maintain your spot at the top unchallenged.

Edited by Wolfcastle

44 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Blackburn 13years earlier. Pre Premier League.

A nothing second division club that had honestly just averaged just over 8,000 tried to sign the captain of England, then lure a manager who had won the league a year earlier out of retirement, spent astronomically by the standards of the day to get promoted (£6m in one year, only Ferguson had spent more a few years earlier at Man U and that was considered wild) and broke the British record transfer the following summer.

A true underdog story, as its since been rewritten as.

Don't think there was ever a consideration to stop it then because it would have looked like exactly what it was. Basically cheating to maintain your spot at the top unchallenged.

I had originally thought Blackburn, but the big difference there for me was that it was a 'one and done' title win and a passion project of a fan. Once they won the league it was over and the investment (and they) quickly fell away.

Chelsea on the other hand haven't stopped for 20 years now.