Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

I finally burst into tears on the youtube tribute for the goal he scored away to Charlton. I remember sitting in the home stand completely forgetting I was totally alone and screamed "Speeeeeeedo". When they equalised I had a whole section chanting "You're not singing any more" at me, what a total knob. What a finish it was.

I finally burst into tears on the youtube tribute for the goal he scored away to Charlton. I remember sitting in the home stand completely forgetting I was totally alone and screamed "Speeeeeeedo". When they equalised I had a whole section chanting "You're not singing any more" at me, what a total knob. What a finish it was.

that almost broke the london hoodoo didnt it? they equalise in the last minute?

Nah it wasn't last minute, 60-70 iirc. But we completely dicked on them all game. Uriah Rennie sent Shearer off for fuck all. I remember speed having a stormer of a game, along with Bellamy.

Depression is a horrific illness, it tears lives apart, it tears families apart, and it makes people do things which seem utterly inexplicable, and the majority of those people live with the illness in silence, putting a brave face on what is a horrible thing to deal with.

I see Stan Collymore has been talking again this week about his own depression, too. It makes you wonder how many people - footballers or not - are struggling with the disease.

The best tribute to Gary Speed is probably not going to be a minute's silence, or Colin Murray or whoever talking about him on a Sunday night, it is that we start to understand depression better and make sure that there aren't too many more wasted lives like Speed's.

definitely think the club should seek dispensation from the PL to give Lovenkrands a new shirt number and retire the number 11 shirt.

Given the circumstances I agree. I'm not one for retiring shirts left right and centre but due to the fact that it's not an ordinary death the number 11 shirt should be retired.

Very undecided on this. Can understand the sentiment but also don't think I'd feel 100% about doing so.

Fair enough. Just my opinion and I'll be the first to admit that my heart is probably ruling my head at the moment. Think there should at least be a plaque on a wall in St James' anyway.

I sure as hell hope something is done to commemorate him. :thup:

Strange comment from Lawrenson, saying it's quite something that a player could achieve what he has and be normal. He's just committed suicide at 42 years of age...

That was the 2-2 in 98-99.

Daft lad's on about the 1-1 from 01-02.

Guest elbee909

I actually made a donation to Mind earlier today.  I think it was when someone pointed out that suicide is the biggest killer of young men in the UK.  Unbelievable.

Robert Enke raised the profile of depression in Germany and hopefully this tragedy can do the same here. Theres a taboo surrounding it because people don't want to show weakness, but depression is a disease just like any medical condition.

Seriously, is there any need? In this thread ffs!

it would have broken the hoodoo wouldn't it?

Let's face it an unexplained tragedy like this is bound to attract rumours. Gary Speed had no known history of depression (unlike Collymore) and he always behaved in a totally professional and ethical manner. He was a genuine role model. Because you could totally rely on him he would be in my top 5 players to have played for us. Surely though, however much you admired the man, you have the right to wonder why this has happened? If he did suffer from depression how did he apparently manage to keep it from everyone that played football with him?

Quite easily, people suffering from depression don't walk around all day crying and telling people they will kill themselves. Unfortunately the biggest downfall in depression is those who don't seek help and keep everything to themselves while constantly hiding under a brave face.

People will ask questions but personally I think it's a lot more respectful just to wait for the facts rather than speculate, if nothing ever does come out just appreciate the man he was and the loss he is.

I do know something about depression, having relatives that suffer from it. Those that worked closely with them on a daily basis were aware of it. I was not trying to speculate (and in fact did not) I was just trying to explain that Gary Speed's standing as a person will raise questions on this. But I will withdraw from this discussion - as I said on a post above I have no wish whatsoever to appear in any way disrespectful.

Yes. We did it about a month or so later at Highbury. Speed played an absolute blinder that night too.

Let's face it an unexplained tragedy like this is bound to attract rumours. Gary Speed had no known history of depression (unlike Collymore) and he always behaved in a totally professional and ethical manner. He was a genuine role model. Because you could totally rely on him he would be in my top 5 players to have played for us. Surely though, however much you admired the man, you have the right to wonder why this has happened? If he did suffer from depression how did he apparently manage to keep it from everyone that played football with him?

Quite easily, people suffering from depression don't walk around all day crying and telling people they will kill themselves. Unfortunately the biggest downfall in depression is those who don't seek help and keep everything to themselves while constantly hiding under a brave face.

People will ask questions but personally I think it's a lot more respectful just to wait for the facts rather than speculate, if nothing ever does come out just appreciate the man he was and the loss he is.

I do know something about depression, having relatives that suffer from it. Those that worked closely with them on a daily basis were aware of it. I was not trying to speculate (and in fact did not) I was just trying to explain that Gary Speed's standing as a person will raise questions on this. But I will withdraw from this discussion - as I said on a post above I have no wish whatsoever to appear in any way disrespectful.

true that questions will be raised but as you are pointing out in a roundabout way, there is a time and this is not it.

Depression is a horrific illness, it tears lives apart, it tears families apart, and it makes people do things which seem utterly inexplicable, and the majority of those people live with the illness in silence, putting a brave face on what is a horrible thing to deal with.

I see Stan Collymore has been talking again this week about his own depression, too. It makes you wonder how many people - footballers or not - are struggling with the disease.

The best tribute to Gary Speed is probably not going to be a minute's silence, or Colin Murray or whoever talking about him on a Sunday night, it is that we start to understand depression better and make sure that there aren't too many more wasted lives like Speed's.

Sebastian Deisler was another one.  He didn't top himself but he had  a lot of bother with depression.

We don't know if that's what this is about yet but we tend to look at footballers as if they're super human.  Ultimately they're just people like the rest of us.

I know someone who has recently been diagnosed with depression and it has utterly bemused people around them and the person involved. Does make you think, maybe some people are depressed and don't even know themselves or realise that the way they think isn't actually normal :dontknow:

Guest Heneage

Yes. We did it about a month or so later at Highbury. Speed played an absolute blinder that night too.

Remember following the Highbury game via Teletext. What a game it was.

Remember following the Highbury game via Teletext. What a game it was.

I was there. Probably the best away game I'd ever been to until we travelled to Rotterdam a year later.

I'm going to cry like a baby when this sinks in. Still hasn't.

Hasn't sunk in yet either.

I was out at the time and I saw a text and it hit me a bit there, but I still haven't properly felt it.