Spain win Euro 2012

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huntelaar and VDV should've started the game.

You would think so, especially as they should have been looking to win the game really. The Dutch coach is an absolute coward. Disgraceful.

You would think so, especially as they should have been looking to win the game really. The Dutch coach is an absolute coward. Disgraceful.

I understand your point but while they clearly had more quality on the park second half they had no balance whatsoever. They're let down by a lack of proper central midfielders who can go both ways.

Strootman getting no look in has been surprising.

I understand your point but while they clearly had more quality on the park second half they had no balance whatsoever. They're let down by a lack of proper central midfielders who can go both ways.

I agree they are unbalanced but since having the defensive screen wasn't denying germany any space anyway what was the benefit?

Guest Tyson

Very defensive-minded outlook from the outset, in terms of his team selection in central midfield. Holland, through a wealth of attacking talent (particularly the up-and-coming youngsters from the usual Dutch club academies), have enough options to compliment Van Bommel to achieve a midfield defensive/attacking balance.

For those, and there are many, who have been strong opponents of the direction that Van Marwijk has taken taken Dutch football (away from it's traditional roots) with his 'win ugly' philosophy, *Holland's exit must be applauded wholeheartedly.

*Hoping Portugal drive the final nail in Van Marwijk's coffin.

Guest Roger Kint

Equipe is French surely? Going by the magazine anyway.

Quite.

Google translate says its the same in Clogland

Holland just looked weak and lacking desire all over the pitch for me. Robben is becoming predictable and not a team player, their midfield was too defensive and Van Persie wasn't on form.

Was a let down even for the neutral, Holland are supposed to be a class team and just don't seem to be bothered about tournaments.

Guest Roger Kint

Holland just looked weak and lacking desire all over the pitch for me. Robben is becoming predictable and not a team player, their midfield was too defensive and Van Persie wasn't on form.

Was a let down even for the neutral, Holland are supposed to be a class team and just don't seem to be bothered about tournaments.

Their defence is shocking, if that Willems is the best they have(with Pieters crocked) then god help them. That Anita must be a pretty poor LB option if he was left out of the squad. The team overall was too individual for long periods of both games and like you say set out far too defensive. I didnt expect too much from them given their poor back line but never thought they would look this poor.

I thought Walters looked impressive when he came on, like. Despite Cox being out of position on the left he provided the same lack of mobility as Andrews and Whelan in the centre. Still, it doesn't really matter who Trappa plays, there's not a whole lot of hope for Ireland. Imo he's got to completely pack the midfield as the movement and fluidity of Spain's midfield overload will completely overrun Ireland's static and rigid set up.

Nonetheless, should be an interesting one!