Spain win Euro 2012

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brazil, Argentina, Germany & Italy are your core teams who've always been there/thereabouts then the rest IMO.

Holland too. They've only won a couple European Cups. But they must have been in atleast 6 semi-finals/finals.

Netherlands have not appeared at 10 of the World Cups. Compare that with Argentina (4), Brazil (0), Italy (2) and Germany (2).

If anyone is too join that list of 4 it'd be Spain having won both major tournaments and only missed 6 WCs, did miss a few Euros though back in the day.

Your criteria is flawed. I believe Finals & Semi appearances should count for a lot more than simply turning up. Holland have been in the semi's/finals of major tournaments 9 times compared to Spain's 3. Spain would be slightly ahead of Holland because they've won the big things twice but still... generally as a football nation the Dutch have been superior. Spain have had 1 great side (one of the best ever) and one good one in their entire history.

France have a greater football record than Spain by a long way too.

I think you're coming at it from a different angle too me. I'm using my own definition as stated in the initial post and to me the Dutch haven't always been "there/thereabouts" hence why I'm not including them and favouring Spain over them & France. All about being consistant and that, not really arguing who's the more successful.

aye, didn't enter or qualify between 1938 and 1974.  Read 'Brilliant Orange' last summer, its all explained in there.  Dutch football was up the shitter during that time.

Aye, fancy reading that. Read that one about Brasil by Alex Bellos that was pretty good.

Brazil, Argentina, Germany & Italy are your core teams who've always been there/thereabouts then the rest IMO.

Holland too. They've only won a couple European Cups. But they must have been in atleast 6 semi-finals/finals.

Netherlands have not appeared at 10 of the World Cups. Compare that with Argentina (4), Brazil (0), Italy (2) and Germany (2).

If anyone is too join that list of 4 it'd be Spain having won both major tournaments and only missed 6 WCs, did miss a few Euros though back in the day.

Your criteria is flawed. I believe Finals & Semi appearances should count for a lot more than simply turning up. Holland have been in the semi's/finals of major tournaments 9 times compared to Spain's 3. Spain would be slightly ahead of Holland because they've won the big things twice but still... generally as a football nation the Dutch have been superior. Spain have had 1 great side (one of the best ever) and one good one in their entire history.

I think you're coming at it from a different angle too me. I'm using my own definition as stated in the initial post and to me the Dutch haven't always been "there/thereabouts" hence why I'm not including them and favouring Spain over them & France. All about being consistant and that, not really arguing who's the more successful.

aye, didn't enter or qualify between 1938 and 1974.  Read 'Brilliant Orange' last summer, its all explained in there.  Dutch football was up the shitter during that time.

Aye, fancy reading that. Read that one about Brasil by Alex Bellos that was pretty good.

"There or thereabouts" means "they have a realistic chance of winning it" right? Only one and a half Spanish generations can make that claim in my books.

"There or thereabouts" means "they have a realistic chance of winning it" right? Only one and a half Spanish generations can make that claim in my books.

Well you have to be 'there' to have a chance of winning it for starters and I think you could argue that Spain and others would have fancied themselves to do better in a fair few of the tournaments hence the perennial darkhorse tag they used to have.

As I said though Arg, Bra, Ger and Ita are miles ahead of everyone else IMO. Then probably Spain, France and Netherlands followed by England, Uruguay and a few others.

Anyhoo to steer this thread back on topic I hope Spain show a bit more incision against France ce soir. Be interesting to see France try and play deep and contain, don't see them as that sort of team at all.

Well you have to be 'there' to have a chance of winning it for starters and I think you could argue that Spain and others would have fancied themselves to do better in a fair few of the tournaments hence the perennial darkhorse tag they used to have.

As I said though Arg, Bra, Ger and Ita are miles ahead of everyone else IMO. Then probably Spain, France and Netherlands followed by England, Uruguay and a few others.

Have England been there or thereabouts post '96? We've only missed one tournament. I'd say no. Or Spurs in terms of the Premiership? IMO both have pretty much made up the numbers in terms of there or thereabouts.

Despite missing a good few tournaments i'd have France comfortably ahead of Spain as well. Won more trophies, more finals & semi-finals.

We have had great sides crashing badly. The team that had Hierro-Guardiola-Raúl as the backbone *should* have done way more than it did, for example.

Aye but as you say, they didn't get anywhere near in the end. Which to me doesn't equate to a great side. Like the English Golden Generation, talented bunch but that's it.

Fortunately for you, they where followed by one of the greatest generations football has ever seen. Something tells me Henderson & co. won't do it for us.

Hope this lives up to the quality of players on show. Just think France will be defensive and Spain will find it hard to break them down.

Early Spain goal would be good, I guess.

Hope this lives up to the quality of players on show. Just think France will be defensive and Spain will find it hard to break them down.

Early France goal on the break would be good, I guess.

FYP. Stop Spain from pissing about - although balanced against conceding a second goal ;D

Not sure France are disciplined enough to 'sit in'.

Shitter seems to be suggesting Nasri will be AXED and Revelliere might also play.

In terms of not playing, I wonder where "axed" stands in relation to getting "hauled off".

Not sure France are disciplined enough to 'sit in'.

Shitter seems to be suggesting Nasri will be AXED and Revelliere might also play.

You dont really need to sit in, i would'nt call what Italy did " sitting in " also i agree they are not disciplined enough with the line up against Sweden but if they go with something like this..... i feel they would be disciplined and potent enough to do the job.

Lloris

Debuchy Rami Koscielny Revelliere

Diarra Cabaye M'Vila

Menez Benzema Ribery

What I read on twitta:

Lloris

Clichy Rami Koscielny Revelliere

Debuchy Cabaye M'Vila

Malouda Benzema Ribery

Cba to put them proper positions/sides

Malouda (:yao:) LW and Ribery off of Benzema I'd imagine.

Apparently Debuchy is starting on the right of a midfield 4.

Oh so that's why Revelliere is coming in then... interesting choice from Blanc if so i wonder who will else will form this midfield 4 and how the rest of the team lines up.

I think this is gonna be France's like. Spain topped a not so difficult group a weakened Italy (when compared with previous years) and an alright Croatia side. Ireland were a joke like. In my 'John Humble' Spain's style of football is being somewhat found out in a sense that it can be countered and without Villa and Puyol don't look half as good this time around.