Norwich vs Newcastle - 10/12/11 - Pre Match Thread

Decky

An elected leader is important in just about every context, especially on a playing field.

:thup:

For me, a captain on a football pitch is one who is able to inspire the other players through his own example. A captain like Coloccini, for example, isn't one who is really vocal on the pitch but is one who leads by example (in Colo's case, it's his calmness on the ball, won't give up etc.). Such a captain should be able to inspire the others.

Kevin Nolan was a vocal leader and wasn't afraid to give his view when needed. He was able to keep the players together by his own example, sure he wasn't a proper athlete but he was dedicated to the cause and was a professional.

Now let's look at Michael Owen. He was quite frankly the worst possible choice for a captain because his example was not really doing anything on the pitch or even off it. For a player who really wasn't arsed with the cause of helping to keep us up nor was he a model professional is hardly the inspiration his peers needed. Great leadership material eh?

Fair enough in cricket or rugby when the captain makes a genuine difference. But on the field in modern day football I think captain's tend to be a waste of time

How does a captain's role matter in rugby but not in football like?

An elected leader is important in just about every context, especially on a playing field.

For me, a captain on a football pitch is one who is able to inspire the other players through his own example. A captain like Coloccini, for example, isn't one who is really vocal on the pitch but is one who leads by example (in Colo's case, it's his calmness on the ball, won't give up etc.). Such a captain should be able to inspire the others.

Kevin Nolan was a vocal leader and wasn't afraid to give his view when needed. He was able to keep the players together by his own example, sure he wasn't a proper athlete but he was dedicated to the cause and was a professional.

Now let's look at Michael Owen. He was quite frankly the worst possible choice for a captain because his example was not really doing anything on the pitch or even off it. For a player who really wasn't arsed with the cause of helping to keep us up nor was he a model professional is hardly the inspiration his peers needed. Great leadership material eh?

I agree, however in the Owen scenario it was clear that team didn't have anyone capable of been a leader.

As much as I didn't like him too much as a player - especially during that season - Nolan looked like a leader from his very first game - Sunderland at home. I remember him talking to the other players collectively and organising a group huddle before kick-off.

I agree, however in the Owen scenario it was clear that team didn't have anyone capable of been a leader.

Now that I think about it, yeah we didn't have any leaders as such on the pitch that season.

Can't see us getting owt  here. Be delighted with a draw but these injuries have hit us at the wrong time and to precisely the wrong personnel. Allied to the fact that these are decent at home i think we're up against it. Still can sit back and enjoy as our start means we are under very little pressure.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Cheers,

Hopefully we can see something good from Santon. Perch is Perch.

Think we are going to be very  attacking today.

Guest Haris Vuckic

All out attack, can't wait.

Aye that'll be mint like. I think with the injuries we're carrying a bad result is excusable. We should just concede that we'll concede and go bat shit crazy.

Get Santon running at them, Obertan running at the them, Ben Arfa looking about like a curious  meerkat, Gosling doing what he does...

Ba getting his third Hat Trick...

Fair enough in cricket or rugby when the captain makes a genuine difference. But on the field in modern day football I think captain's tend to be a waste of time

How does a captain's role matter in rugby but not in football like?

Because only the captain can talk to the ref in rugby.