Norwich vs Newcastle - 10/12/11 - Pre Match Thread

Decky

Guest Haris Vuckic

Fair enough in cricket or rugby when the captain makes a genuine difference. But on the field in modern day football I think captain's tend to be a waste of time

How does a captain's role matter in rugby but not in football like?

Because only the captain can talk to the ref in rugby.

That's the same rule in football as of last year but nobody cares.

We could look at the current injury crisis another way. We've got a nest egg of 26 points. 5 more wins from the next 24 games should see us safe. We can afford to take the risk of using this season to blood a few younger players with a view to pushing on next season.

We could look at the current injury crisis another way. We've got a nest egg of 26 points. 5 more wins from the next 24 games should see us safe. We can afford to take the risk of using this season to blood a few younger players with a view to pushing on next season.

Don't agree with this theory. We should be pushing on as much as possible in every game so we are in a even better position to push on even more next season.

Injuries or no injuries, we have a great set of fixtures until the Liverpool game in order to gain plenty of points and go into the new year either safe or pretty much safe and using the 2nd half of the season to challenge as high as we can.

Pardew seems to me to be a great motivator. Look at Ryan Taylor so far this year.

He has got Perch performing and even Lovenkrands looked ok against Chelsea at times.

We can get something at Norwich. He will get a performance out of whoever he picks.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

An elected leader is important in just about every context, especially on a playing field.

:thup:

For me, a captain on a football pitch is one who is able to inspire the other players through his own example. A captain like Coloccini, for example, isn't one who is really vocal on the pitch but is one who leads by example (in Colo's case, it's his calmness on the ball, won't give up etc.). Such a captain should be able to inspire the others.

Kevin Nolan was a vocal leader and wasn't afraid to give his view when needed. He was able to keep the players together by his own example, sure he wasn't a proper athlete but he was dedicated to the cause and was a professional.

Now let's look at Michael Owen. He was quite frankly the worst possible choice for a captain because his example was not really doing anything on the pitch or even off it. For a player who really wasn't arsed with the cause of helping to keep us up nor was he a model professional is hardly the inspiration his peers needed. Great leadership material eh?

I agree, however in the Owen scenario it was clear that team didn't have anyone capable of been a leader.

Now that I think about it, yeah we didn't have any leaders as such on the pitch that season.

Nicky Butt? :troll:

Unless I've missed anything and any of these lot are unavailable for some reason, I think we'll see:

Krul

Santon - Simpson - Perch - Raylor

Obertan - Gosling - Cabaye - Jonas

Ben Arfa

Ba

I'd still fancy that team to be able to beat Norwich.

When we signed Santon am I right in thinking there was something mentioned about him being able to cover the CB positions if needed?