Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

2 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

West Ham's is worse than ours, but there's not a great deal in it. There are no plausible explanations beyond gross incompetence or corruption. 

Not sure there. Ours was so dodgy that the commentator even said as the the referee was walking over to the monitor that the goal would stand and the ref was going to stick with the on field decision. Never heard that from commentators in the past, they usually say that the ref is going to change the on field decision as soon as they walk over to take a look at it.

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Did the referee blow for a foul in the Wham game or did VAR overturn it? If it was overturned then aye, that's worse like [emoji38]

Absolutely insane.

Went to the monitor so I assume the ref allowed the goal then got called over to overturn it. 

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Surely these two decisions have to start something like?

There has to be a tipping point.

Well in the past it used to be "refereeing is so difficult, split second decision, human error" etc. Now that they can watch slow motion replays of the incident and still come to the wrong decision shows either incompetence on a grand scale or corruption.

One thing VAR has proven beyond doubt is that the standard of officiating in this country is even worse than we believed before its introduction. We were always told in the past that a ref’s eyeline was obscured, that there were bodies in the way or he wasn’t close enough to the action. VAR has proved that they’re just fucking awful at their jobs. Either they come out and say “we’re taking bungs and are a corrupt bunch of cunts” or they come out and say “we’re not good enough”. They can’t keep making these sorts of mistakes week after week. And it’s not just us, it’s all the teams vying for spots from 7th and below

Wow. Just seen the West Ham one. I wouldn't try to make a determination that either decision is worse than the other; they're both egregious and should be triggering a full-blown investigation in to the refereeing in this league.

2 minutes ago, wormy said:

Wow. Just seen the West Ham one. I wouldn't try to make a determination that either decision is worse than the other; they're both egregious and should be triggering a full-blown investigation in to the refereeing in this league.

In a way, whilst it's shit what happened to us today, we're probably lucky that this also happened today. It will mean refs and VAR will be the talking points tonight instead of just being swept under the carpet like usual.

2 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

In a way, whilst it's shit what happened to us today, we're probably lucky that this also happened today. It will mean refs and VAR will be the talking points tonight instead of just being swept under the carpet like usual.

Fingers crossed. The pessimist in me says they focus on the West Ham one for an absolute age as one of the featured games, then our 0-0 gets dumped near the end with no time and they won't show a shred of incredulity over it.

49 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I know it's not really important or anywhere near the worst decision.. But did anyone see when Joelinton had the ball first half right by their corner flag at the Gallowgate end. He knocked it out and they took the throw in must have been at least 25 yards up the pitch? [emoji38]

Or did I miss something whilst the cameras were showing a close up of Joelinton? Like the throw-in being taken at the right place and going back out again? 

You didn’t.  It was out at the corner flag and they stole about 25 yards. Fuck all said.

With all the money "sloshing" about in football and all the modern technology, I have never seen such amateurish officiating in English football.  These referees are professionals and trained so expertly that they know the rule book off by heart.  How then do you explain a) whoever was in charge of VAR bringing a possible foul by Willock to the refs attention, and b) how does the idiot with the whistle not know what actually happened after viewing it on tv?

I know I harp on about rugby refereeing but honestly a rugby ref would have looked at every angle and all the time talking about his decision.  Football refs are shite!

Just now, Rod said:

With all the money "sloshing" about in football and all the modern technology, I have never seen such amateurish officiating in English football.  These referees are professionals and trained so expertly that they know the rule book off by heart.  How then do you explain a) whoever was in charge of VAR bringing a possible foul by Willock to the refs attention, and b) how does the idiot with the whistle not know what actually happened after viewing it on tv?

I know I harp on about rugby refereeing but honestly a rugby ref would have looked at every angle and all the time talking about his decision.  Football refs are shite!

That bolded toward the end is big imo. Referees in football need more transparency. They clearly can't be trusted so mic them up, I want to hear their reasoning, their excuses in real time.

Drag them up for an interview after the match to explain themselves. If you've reffed a good, even flowing game, then congrats you can throw out some 'it was a good game without many incidents' platitudes. Did you fuck up? Fail to control the game? Well, tell us why, you useless tossbag.

None of them are fit to do anything. I don’t just mean the referee’s. I mean the people in the VAR room, the referee’s governing body, and even the ex referee’s they wheel out on TV and the radio to back up the wrong decisions.

None of them are fit for purpose.

The referee’s governing body literally does fuck all. It doesn’t provide training for new referee’s. It doesn’t tell the referee’s that they should be focussed on the game and not treat it as a side activity. Nothing.

With the money in our game, we should have referee’s who’s only job is to be a referee. They should be required to keep a good record of fitness. Seen loads of them who can’t run, and have a belly that’s got to be jotted down as step 1 towards the Bruce gut. None of them have sports psychologist telling them how to deal with pressures and how to block things out and focus on the game. None of them have the ability to control players and discipline them to prevent reckless challenges, diving, and crowding them.

I know the problem doesn’t just exist in the Premier League, but all the way down the football pyramid. However in the Premier League’s case we have a sporting competition that has a global audience which aside from a few dozen boxing matches, the Super Bowl, World Cup, and Olympics, is unmatched in viewership. We are then left with what we see on show as a refereeing performance week in week out. The Premier League are wanting to grow the international viewership as well as the female viewership. How can they sustain it when that is on show?

Real football fans will stick with their club, but keep going on like this where newcomers to the game are baffled as to what is and isn’t a foul are just going to be put off.

It’s fucking disgusting, I remember when I was 1st introduced into football properly, there was clearly big team bias and a few dodgy referee’s. This, what we see now though has got out of hand. It’s not just the big decision like we have seen today, but the little ones. The fouls given in the middle of the field that aren’t a foul. One team getting the decisions and the other not. Some players getting a yellow whilst another player who does the same foul doesn’t. The total disregard and non-enforcement for rules such as the back pass, keeper holding the ball for too long, foul throws, delayed throws. Throw-in’s taken 15 yards away from where the ball went out of play, etc. It is just total and utter ineptitude from everyone involved.

Edited by Stifler

9 minutes ago, Rod said:

They aren’t. They are in the sense that they get paid, but it isn’t classed as a job and most of them have full time jobs throughout the week. They receive little to no training. They meet up once a month or so, and even then it is mostly classroom based things. So basically sitting dunking digestives into their coffee cups.

9 minutes ago, Stifler said:

They aren’t. They are in the sense that they get paid, but it isn’t classed as a job and most of them have full time jobs throughout the week. They receive little to no training. They meet up once a month or so, and even then it is mostly classroom based things. So basically sitting dunking digestives into their coffee cups.

I was certain that they went fully professional years ago.  No more school teachers or Civil Servants etc.  I might be wrong.

With Rugby the on field ref asks for all the angles and gets to see them all. With VAR they just show one angle and thats it. If the fucking commentators can see 5 angles instantly then VAR and the ref can see them. The standard of refereeing at the game today was totally shambolic, only to be capped off by a VAR face. Surely we can just get an AI to do it instead.