Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

45 minutes ago, Cf said:

The thing with that red card is whilst it's questionable whether he was the last man or not he just pulled him down as he was through on goal. And I can't help but think a red in that situation is fine. Wouldn't mind "tactical fouls" being taken out of the game. 

The penalty on the other hand was bullshit. Defender is pulling out of it and Rashford makes sure that there is contact. If there's any doubt of "he played for that" they shouldn't be given. 

45 minutes ago, Cf said:

The thing with that red card is whilst it's questionable whether he was the last man or not he just pulled him down as he was through on goal. And I can't help but think a red in that situation is fine. Wouldn't mind "tactical fouls" being taken out of the game. 

The penalty on the other hand was bullshit. Defender is pulling out of it and Rashford makes sure that there is contact. If there's any doubt of "he played for that" they shouldn't be given. 

Exactly how I saw it.

Maybe the hype on here lead me expect two outrageously bad decisions, but having just watched it on MOTD now, I didn't think it was that bad. The red was a red, Rashford's pen was unbelievably soft but it was in the 'they're usually given' category for me.

I thought Arsenal being allowed to score after Saka had fouled and injured a Fulham player trying to get a penalty was the real travesty.

Edited by Kid Icarus

I thinks its a bit naive to think there cant be corruption among the referees. There is corruption everywhere else in the business world and this is one if the biggest business there is.

Some of the decisions being made are so obviously wrong that is it hard to think its just about some slight bias 

Edited by Displayname

I think it’s mostly as simple as there won’t be as many consequences and issues if they always side with the big teams on any controversial call. I don’t know if that’s because the big teams have some actual leverage or whether it’s just logical bias. Whatever the reason, it’s a disgrace and there needs to be endless pressure until things change 

Yeah, he was already diving before any contact was made, he then tried to make some during the dive. Should have got a yellow card and been told that if it happens again this season he’ll get a straight red 

I'd honestly be raging if we'd ended up getting a red rather than a yellow for that mind. I think the other defender on BF's left gets to that ball if he doesn't bring him down, making it a yellow in my eyes. I'd be amazed if Man Utd got a red if that foul was committed by one of their back four. 

The Rashford dive gets worse the more you see it. Looks 100% a pelanty in real-time, but when you slow it down you see how he's obviously made his mind up that he's hoying himself to the deck and he's going to make sure there's contact. It's shit crack. 

48 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Maybe the hype on here lead me expect two outrageously bad decisions, but having just watched it on MOTD now, I didn't think it was that bad. The red was a red, Rashford's pen was unbelievably soft but it was in the 'they're usually given' category for me.

I thought Arsenal being allowed to score after Saka had fouled and injured a Fulham player trying to get a penalty was the real travesty.

Also think the red was fine, even in slow replays its hard to judge whether he would have reached the ball before the keeper or not. Not an obvious mistake. 

Think the pen was an obvious mistake, the defender did nothing wrong. Not blatant corruption "mistake", but playing at Old Trafford "mistake".

Edit* Seen the pen decision closer, maybe it was a slight touch with the knee. Guess its defendable

Edited by Displayname

After the Dean revelations i think the quickest solution would be to give the two clubs involved in the match a full audio recording of everything said between all officials including VAR ones. 

That way anything dubious could be questioned and they would have the proof to back up any complaints.

In a league interested in accountability, the Dean revelation would lead to either: an VAR crew made up entirely of people not associated with on field referees, or some sort of ombudsman who is not a former ref, is not associated with the refs or their pgmol whatever bullshit entity. There should be just as much analysis of refs as there is for players. I wanna know Madley's xY and xR, ffs. :lol:

In the PL, it'll be a story for a week, no one will change anything, big teams benefit, small teams get fucked. Brand brand brand.

Only just become aware of this Dean revelation. It absolutely annihilates the credibility of the whole thing (as if that hadn't already happened by virtue of the innumerable stupid calls) but nothing will happen.

Such a depressing state of affairs. This thing that was brought in to supposedly assist referees (at the expense of the sport's spontaneity) has served only to apply far more scrutiny than there ever was; and on top of that, apparently they hate using it. Great work, lads. 

Add to that the latest petty, flawed and hairbrained additions to the rulebook, i.e. technical area capacity/obscene amounts of added time, it makes you wonder where the fuck we're going with all this.

What's depressing is that there's no means or motivation to properly lobby against what is happening, there's too many mixed opinions. For instance, I'm well aware that despite my disdain for it all, it is not going away - so any calls to ditch VAR altogether is a pointless waste of time. But that leaves the unanswerable question of what should be lobbied for? Where do we draw the line of what is an acceptable level of intervention and what isn't? 

Whole thing's just a mess and the scrutiny/ref's personal experience is only going to get worse if they're expected to audibly verbalise their thought process to a live audience of up to 90,000 people.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

:lol: We're all ready for how mad we're gonna be later today, right?

WE've kicked off here at SJP.. but what's this... the ref has stopped play... he's sent Jason MADDOG Tinder off. 

Play resumes... Isak is through in on goal. 1-0 NEWC... wait... VAR is reviewing the play. Goal disallowed. Cos fuck you, 1-0 Newcastle who do you think you are. 

46 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

What's depressing is that there's no means or motivation to properly lobby against what is happening, there's too many mixed opinions.

This applies to so many things within sport like.

Look at the Usyk vs Dubois fight last night, Usyk has his belt pulled above his naval all fight and gets dropped with a bodyshot which was called low.

It's an outrageous decision, everyone 'knows' it's an outrageous decision (just type "best boxing bodyshots" into Youtube and see countless punches hitting the same area). But then that's not entirely true, because where there is a slight amount of ambiguity (which there was there) people just get let off the hook and we continue to watch it. If you can give even the slightest argument that a decision might not have been awful, or corrupt, the weight of any ire towards it loses all of it's power.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 hour ago, Mike said:

In a league interested in accountability, the Dean revelation would lead to either: an VAR crew made up entirely of people not associated with on field referees, or some sort of ombudsman who is not a former ref, is not associated with the refs or their pgmol whatever bullshit entity. There should be just as much analysis of refs as there is for players. I wanna know Madley's xY and xR, ffs. :lol:

In the PL, it'll be a story for a week, no one will change anything, big teams benefit, small teams get fucked. Brand brand brand.

We could even have a highlight show: Mate of the Day

Just a matter of time before VAR gets cancelled. In a few years time, when we will be getting all these dubious calls the likes of Man U and Liverpool get today on account of being “bigger” and potentially handing out better filled brown envelopes, the worm will turn. Can’t wait for the reactions when we get a clearly corrupt match winning last minute decision like against Man U. The pundits’ heads would explode.

1 hour ago, beardsleymagic said:

After the Dean revelations i think the quickest solution would be to give the two clubs involved in the match a full audio recording of everything said between all officials including VAR ones. 

That way anything dubious could be questioned and they would have the proof to back up any complaints.

Rugby officials are mic'd up, it's hardly going to be difficult for prem or all football refs to follow their standards. The only thing blocking it is the people doing it. Rather than your suggestion of giving the recordings, just have it live mic'd for live games, and those that are not televised could request match audio. On Mike Dean and those claiming they didn't like doing VAR because they didn't really understand it, there's a serious problem, perhaps we need software detection tools, where a ref wouldn't need to still come to a decision for offsides, drawing silly lines, instead more or less something that can detect it to the nearest pixel.

21 minutes ago, OCK said:

So if Mike Dean didn't want to stitch his mate refs up, does that open the door to Mike Dean not wanting to stitch any of his mate managers up.

I don't think it's out of the question. What Mike Dean said on that podcast should be enough to bring the whole thing crashing down; it's an admittance that the referees' integrity can be and has been compromised. It should be an absolute scandal but I admit that probably wouldn't help anyone. Refereeing still has to be an appealing profession otherwise we don't have a game. That's what makes it all the more galling that the culture since VAR is arguably makes it less appealing than it ever has been. (NB. I don't know the facts; maybe there's a long queue of budding PL refs, seems unlikely though)

30 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Rugby officials are mic'd up, it's hardly going to be difficult for prem or all football refs to follow their standards. The only thing blocking it is the people doing it. Rather than your suggestion of giving the recordings, just have it live mic'd for live games, and those that are not televised could request match audio. On Mike Dean and those claiming they didn't like doing VAR because they didn't really understand it, there's a serious problem, perhaps we need software detection tools, where a ref wouldn't need to still come to a decision for offsides, drawing silly lines, instead more or less something that can detect it to the nearest pixel.

The Premier League were given the chance to implement that offside technology they use the Champions League, and the World Cup. They decided to keep getting VAR officials to draw lines at whatever point they want, and at whatever frame they want to deem that the ball was initially played.

They don’t want to be open and transparent.