Dogawful Officiating: PL clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

31 minutes ago, 54 said:

Still livid at that Anderson yellow :lol:

This. Fair enough yellow for Wilson then allows that ffs

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 54 said:

I'm more than happy to pile in on this idiot, but is it possible Anderson was carded for kicking the ball away after the whistle? I just wondered it at the time.

If he really thought an offence had been committed he should've expected VAR to check for violent conduct...

Edited by 80

1 minute ago, 80 said:

I'm more than happy to pile in on this idiot, but is it possible Anderson was carded for kicking the ball away after the whistle? I just wondered it at the time.

If he really thought an offence had been committed he should've expected VAR to check for violent conduct...

Var can't downgrade yellows can it? Only raise it to a red, at least I thought that's the rule

27 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Var can't downgrade yellows can it? Only raise it to a red, at least I thought that's the rule

I think so, yeah. I'm not certain of the procedures, but I meant he could've blown for a foul and then kept his card in his pocket, and waited to see if VAR called him back because the offence was actually on the serious side. Which it wasn't.

Just remembered that VAR check post Isak's miss, 3 minutes or so wasted for absolutely no reason, it was microcosm of everything wrong with VAR, utterly needless.

14 minutes ago, 54 said:

Just remembered that VAR check post Isak's miss, 3 minutes or so wasted for absolutely no reason, it was microcosm of everything wrong with VAR, utterly needless.

Yup. Football isn't a fucking court room, who gives a fuck if a player might have been encroaching by half an inch? Especially when the game is 3-0 and there was only ever one winner at that point :lol:

On 05/05/2024 at 10:06, 54 said:

Doesn’t get more amateur hour than two people jostling for a ball, one is stronger and doesn’t make contact with the opponent’s face. Then the opposing player drops to the ground holding his face and Anderson gets booked. He clearly didn’t see it and just went to the book because he wanted to 

On 05/05/2024 at 10:06, 54 said:

I was more angry when he didn’t give the foul on Gordon later on.

19 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Bring. In. The. Fucking. Wenger. Law.

If they bring it in and it causes teams to sit back while the lines are just pedantically drawn somewhere else, will you and LFEE finally shut the fuck up? :lol:

That late Bayern goal, was both Muller and De Ligt offside (think it was them two?)? Looked to me like Muller was on, but was working so couldn't see it properly. 

3 minutes ago, CPL said:

It was a bad call and they should have played on but the defence clearly stopped. 

the shelvey rule?

doesnt matter if the defence stopped unless the ref had already blown the whistle before it went in.

if the ref did blow then he and linesman need suspending.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Bring. In. The. Fucking. Wenger. Law.

As you know, we're very closely aligned on the current implementation of the offside law. But here's the problem I have with the Wenger law:

IMG_20240508_231438.thumb.jpg.97b27f9183bddc1a85acf0f1ee992e4f.jpg

That red attacker would be onside as I understand it, due to there being no daylight between the two players toes. And that looks like a recipe for madness to me.

Edited by 80

20 minutes ago, huss9 said:

the shelvey rule?

doesnt matter if the defence stopped unless the ref had already blown the whistle before it went in.

if the ref did blow then he and linesman need suspending.

The referee did blow up 

7 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

If they bring it in and it causes teams to sit back while the lines are just pedantically drawn somewhere else, will you and LFEE finally shut the fuck up? :lol:

We can't moan at refs getting these wrong then because it could literally be 50/50 whether he's on or off in these instances with the way the law is at the moment. Damned if it goes to VAR and the lines get drawn, damned for sticking his neck out and raising his flag thinking he's offside. 

I still reckon make offside based on where the feet are. None of this checking if a player is leaning forwards (of course they are - they're attacking) or if their armpit or arse is offside nonsense. 

As for last night assuming they operate to the same play on rule as we do in the PL it was an awful call. Was really tight in the first place and was really high up the pitch with a goal scoring chance. 

Reminded me of Isak vs Liverpool. 

Posted (edited)

Wherever you draw the line you're going to have the exact same issue: you're either in an offside position or you're not. It's a binary thing. Just like the ball has either completely crossed the line or it hasn't.

There's always going to be this infintessimally small boundary line where a player moves from an onside position to offside and officials have to make a call on it where:

1. The offside line (defender) will generally be moving because players are rarely standing still

2. The attacker will also be moving

3. You need to look at something else (the ball) to judge when is the exact right moment to compare 1 and 2

Judging where two moving points are in relation to each other at an exact split second of time determined by looking at a third thing is insanely difficult, and changing where the actual offside line is again (i.e. the Wenger law) will do diddly dick to change any of that.

Edited by Checko
Was an indefinite article short of a grammatical sentece

9 hours ago, 80 said:

As you know, we're very closely aligned on the current implementation of the offside law. But here's the problem I have with the Wenger law:

IMG_20240508_231438.thumb.jpg.97b27f9183bddc1a85acf0f1ee992e4f.jpg

That red attacker would be onside as I understand it, due to there being no daylight between the two players toes. And that looks like a recipe for madness to me.

But this would be 'beating the offside trap'. Don't see anything wrong with that IMO.