Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I agree with VAR mostly but interesting to hear the other day that Ciro Immobile and Ronaldo the two top scorers in Serie A had 14 and 12 penalties respectively in their totals for the season and the record for most penalties in a Serie A season broke a 70 year old record this season also.

Maybe let handball be judged by the ref unless it's completely obvious?

VAR is the best thing to happen to football in ages. PL is utilizing it horribly though. It literally makes things more right, here's the difference in the PL table without it:

Shit foor Wolves though.

1. Liverpool – 94 points (five points fewer, same position)

2. Man City – 84 points (three points more, same position)

3. Chelsea – 68 points (two points more, one position higher)

4. Wolves – 68 points (nine points more, three positions higher)

5. Man Utd – 66 points (same points, two positions lower)

6. Leicester – 58 points (four points fewer, one position lower)

7. Sheff Utd – 55 points (one points more, two positions higher)

8. Burnley – 55 points (one points more, two positions higher)

9. Arsenal – 54 points (two points lower, one position lower)

10. Tottenham – 53 points (six points fewer, four positions lower)

11. Everton – 52 points (three points more, one position higher)

12. Southampton – 46 points (six points fewer, one position lower)

13. West Ham – 45 points (six points more, three position higher)

14. Newcastle – 44 points (same points, one position lower)

15. Crystal Palace – 42 points (one point fewer, one position lower)

16. Brighton – 38 points (three points fewer, one position lower)

17. Aston Villa – 37 points (two points more, same position)

18. Watford – 35 points (one point more, one position higher)

19. Bournemouth – 33 points (one point fewer, one place lower)

20. Norwich – 23 points (two points more, same position)

Eh?

This doesn't make any sense. The PL have said VAR have got loads of decisions wrong over the season. And it doesn't take into account that a lot of VAR calls are completely subjective.

Just because the guy controlling VAR decisions for a certain match doesn't mean that he got all of the decisions correct

VAR has to go.

VAR is brilliant.  It's not being used correctly by the idiots in charge.

Nah, it has to go.

Nowt wrong with VAR, loads wrong with the officials in charge.

Whole thing needs scrapping, ridiculous why it was brought in in the first place, it can't work in football

VAR is great.  Stop this negativity with VAR.  The bloke (referee) back in the office is the one you should  have a go at.

Guest neesy111

VAR has to go.

VAR is brilliant.  It's not being used correctly by the idiots in charge.

Nah, it has to go.

Nowt wrong with VAR, loads wrong with the officials in charge.

Which is the same across the world.  What do you want AI referees?

For me it comes down to whether it has resulted in less bad decisions, and I think the answer is clearly yes it has. The problem is the same incompetents that failed to officiate games before VAR are in charge of it. Giving up on it after one season would be a big step backwards IMO.

Anyone else feel like the last season under Rafa we were screwed over fucking loads by shite reffing when there was no VAR, and this season it's barely raised it's head in any of our games? :lol:

Southampton away was the only match where it was pivotal.

Guest neesy111

Lascelles pulling down Kane at Tottenham, we got away with that imo.

He got away with one at Liverpool as well although it didn't affect the result.

• 6 months later...

Can't condone death threats obviously, but wouldn't it be a good idea if a referee who had such a stinker, VAR aided and all, was made to sit out a few games by the FA anyway? I don't see how a referee can get away with making such obvious mistakes scot-free. It displays clearly the ref in question is either incompetent, blind or biased and neither of those explanations are satisfactory at this level. Easy new rule proposal: if a decision for which the ref had the benefit of VAR is overturned after the game that ref is made to sit out the next round of games.

In general I think English referees are far too protected. Over here in the past 10 or so years whenever there has been a controversial decision made by a ref in a televised game that ref was shown the TV image afterwards and asked to comment/explain. It's happened quite a few times, especially pre-VAR, that the ref had to hold their hands up and say they misjudged the situation. Shit happens, people make mistakes, but quite frankly I can't see how a referee can just be back officiating another game a few days after such an inexplicably bad decision. It makes a completely mockery of VAR and refereeing in general.

Guest neesy111

Any ref who's on VAR duty, then confirms a decision which is then overturned on appeal should be suspended for a few games imo.

Yet Mike Dean didn't give either of those red cards initially, he gave them after another referee at Stockley Park told him they thought they were red and to have a look. So that's 3 referees you've got to take out of circulation.

These threats etc are ridiculous for 2 reasons.

1) Obviously they're moronic, sick and from utter creeps, but also

2) They'll probably detract from him getting several clear decisions completely wrong, and detract from VAR fucking up too.

Don't condone any abuse online or otherwise and certainly not death threats.

However, in society we have always had people like that. The way Mike Dean has so arrogantly conducted himself for years, obviously craving the attention  his actions generate. It would be pretty naive of him not to expect abuse. He chooses to act the way he does. Other referees fly under the radar in comparison. I'm surprised it's taken this long for some silly twat  to take it too far.

Can't condone death threats obviously, but wouldn't it be a good idea if a referee who had such a stinker, VAR aided and all, was made to sit out a few games by the FA anyway? I don't see how a referee can get away with making such obvious mistakes scot-free. It displays clearly the ref in question is either incompetent, blind or biased and neither of those explanations are satisfactory at this level. Easy new rule proposal: if a decision for which the ref had the benefit of VAR is overturned after the game that ref is made to sit out the next round of games.

In general I think English referees are far too protected. Over here in the past 10 or so years whenever there has been a controversial decision made by a ref in a televised game that ref was shown the TV image afterwards and asked to comment/explain. It's happened quite a few times, especially pre-VAR, that the ref had to hold their hands up and say they misjudged the situation. Shit happens, people make mistakes, but quite frankly I can't see how a referee can just be back officiating another game a few days after such an inexplicably bad decision. It makes a completely mockery of VAR and refereeing in general.

Agree with this entirely. I hate how managers/players have to face the cameras (and criticism eh Steve) after every game but referees are never taken to task despite the uniformly shit standard of officiating in England. I don't condone death threats/vile social media abuse to refs (or anyone) either, but when their wank decisions don't lead to any kind of negative for them I can sort of see why the more deranged fan would direct that at a referee through those channels for sure. Particularly someone as smug, attention-seeking and arrogant as Mike Dean.