Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

8 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Been thinking for a while that I was unbelievably naïve to not have realised that VAR would very quickly become a tool to protect the status quo. Not necessarily Leicester and in our match but in general.

It absolutely is being used in such a way it seems like. The decisions this weekend have been largely shite in favour of doing just that.

That pen today was a disgrace

9 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I like VAR in theory, but when it isn't used for game changing situations like that then I fail to see the point.

It's really effective at taking the pressure off linesmen and makes offside goals mostly a thing of the past. Beyond that though the whole process is just drama in and of itself.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

The thing is getting rid of VAR doesn't change that decision, the refs given that so we'd still be rightly pissed off

Why VAR didn't overturn it is beyond me 

Having VAR though just makes it worse - I can understand ref's being conned in realtime but when they have the ability to watch it in slow motion and still come to the same conclusion it just makes a farce of it all.  

2 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

The thing is getting rid of VAR doesn't change that decision, the refs given that so we'd still be rightly pissed off

Thats the thing for me though, I can accept that call from a referee, I think it's an awful decision and would call him a cunt but it's sort of expected. For VAR to miss it though is completely unacceptable. Had we not gone on to concede 3 more goals I would be absolutely raging. They literally just gave them a goal for nowt

7 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

👇🏻

5 minutes ago, duo said:

Having VAR though just makes it worse - I can understand ref's being conned in realtime but when they have the ability to watch it in slow motion and still come to the same conclusion it just makes a farce of it all.  

Yup. I'd rather fault stay on the pitch, in the moment,  than kill any progression of a match. I find VAR wildly intrusive and has not bettered the game in any shape or form. 

Edited by The Bonk

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

I agree but I'm saying if we ditch VAR like some want then we lose out in that situation 

Fair enough but I still think it's ruined the game.  Takes away far more than it gives - Championships and Relegations are now being decided by some dude in front of a TV screen.

Just now, duo said:

Fair enough but I still think it's ruined the game.  Takes away far more than it gives - Championships and Relegations are now being decided by some dude in front of a TV screen.

I think it could help by removing the benefit of the doubt going to the ref

They basically look for every reason to justify why the ref gave it even if it's wrong 

1 minute ago, duo said:

... Who doesn't kna the rules, or have common sense it seems. 

The biggest issue with VAR for me is the inconsitancy.. One game they give a pen, and the next game they don’t even look at it, in almost identical cases. 

I think Wilson should have been awarded multiple pens already this season if today is the standard

Edited by snabelkabel

4 minutes ago, snabelkabel said:

The biggest issue with VAR for me is the inconsitancy.. One game they give a pen, and the next game they don’t even look at it, in almost identical cases

It's that subjectivity that VAR can't get rid of.  It's why I'd get rid of it.

VAR respects the ref's original decision way too much considering it was originally brought in because the refs are shite. Game is so fast now that it's completely understandable that refs will miss things but I have no idea why those wrong decisions have to get so much respect from the VAR team. I was never expecting today's to be overturned despite it never being a foul in my opinion due to that. It's been a lot better this year in not giving penalties for every contact but still mightily struggles overturning a decision when there is contact that is never a foul like today.

It will never get better unless the referees watching the screen get better and I don't see that happening anytime soon. The best solution would be to not have the VAR team consisting of referees but some independent party that wouldn't be scared of hurting their friends feelings for overturning a decision.

Edited by Pata

The technology that VAR has produced is fantastic. Having the ability to place a camera 70 yards from a line and decide if the whole of a ball is over a line by a few mm is amazing. The ability to stop a moving image and draw parallel lines to decide offsides (I hate this actually but the technology itself) is superb, having multiple angles on incidents and looking at things frame by frame is also mint. 

It's the human part that is the weak link. Easily influenced officials have been put in charge of applying the technology and they're still making the bent, bullshit decisions they've been making for years, it's not corrected that, it's still unfair and I'm still seeing the top teams get the benefit of any doubt each week, this week in particular. Applied honestly it would benefit the sport massively but I'm not seeing that. 

51 minutes ago, madras said:

It's that subjectivity that VAR can't get rid of.  It's why I'd get rid of it.

Which is what most sensible people said pre-VAR as a reason why it’ll never work.

With VAR we get the same nonsense decisions, but we just have to wait five minutes for them. Pointless.

The whole thing is a shambles. You've got a bloke who sees an incident in real time probably not from the best angle. Then you have guys watching all the replays slowed down to see it in more detail. The VAR guys should make their own mind up and go with that, fuck what the ref on the pitch thinks. You see it in rugby where the video ref will say something onfield ref will say I saw this, but they go with what the video ref see's and thinks. 

Madison should get a retrospective ban for diving, thats the only way you stop players cheating like that. 

47 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Which is what most sensible people said pre-VAR as a reason why it’ll never work.

With VAR we get the same nonsense decisions, but we just have to wait five minutes for them. Pointless.

I was always sceptical, but thought I'd give it a fair go and see what it was like.

Even worse than I thought, we're three (?) years in, it's had a chance and it's still shite. Needs binning off (but won't because someone somewhere is making money off it.)

Only saw the posts on here reacting to the penalty and my feeling was that it would be like a softer version of the pen Watford gave away last night i.e soft but naïve of Lascelles and just part of the modern game.

Jesus Christ was that wrong, absolutely disgusting decision even in 2021 and especially with VAR available and doing nothing about it. Absolutely no exaggeration to say that the only correct decision there is to book Maddison.

Feels like when anything that is positive for use goes to VAR they are looking for a reason not to allow what we have been given on-field (Norwich pen, Brighton sending off, Burnley goal) whereas decisions against us aren’t being checked (pen today, Wilson v Arsenal).

Guest neesy111
2 hours ago, Sima said:

Feels like when anything that is positive for use goes to VAR they are looking for a reason not to allow what we have been given on-field (Norwich pen, Brighton sending off, Burnley goal) whereas decisions against us aren’t being checked (pen today, Wilson v Arsenal).

Norwich pen wasn't given onfield.

They should just put Peter Walton on VAR.

Then he can simply agree with every refereeing decision anyway, so it's like it wouldn't be there.

They could even change the name to the See-no-evil Waltonometer.