Newcastle United 0 - 0 Swansea City - 17/12/11 - post-match reaction from pg 26

Dave

Decent 1st half display, ineffective 2nd. Krul could have taken an armchair, Coloccini and Santon immense, Perch improved. Cabaye and Tiote did ok in the midfield, not much in the way of attacking intent but Tiote improved in the 2nd half after an initial clumsy spell. Obertan and Jonas were both shite, but Ba deserved a goal for his invention and Best's movement was top draw, we are a far better team with him on the pitch.

Some of the nonsense spouted in here does my nut in. Ok, so we didn't win but the only thing I can think of that I would have changed was bringing Arfa for Obertan at some point. Jonas and Best getting some undeserved stick as well, both had decent games IMO, and we look a lot better with Best back up top with Ba.

We absolutely dominated the game, they had settled for a point after 30 seconds and did their best to slow the game down and unsettle us for the rest of the match. The ref let a lot go early on which he could have dealt with and maybe they might have ended up with a man sent off.

On another day with more luck we win that game 4-0. We played well and created chances, that's a good starting point as far as I'm concerned. We press the ball quickly, challenge for most of the loose balls, get it wide and try and get it in the box. The front two move well and hold it up nicely, not letting the back four get any rest. These are all positives in my eyes. Cabaye's set pieces were abysmal today, which didn't help, but with no Guthrie or Raylor on the pitch we had nobody else to take them.

Obviously I agree Ben Arfa should have come on but for some reason Pards isn't seeing it with him at the minute. We don't know why, could be a little niggle, could be his legendary temperament causing problems, could just be that Pards doesn't rate him (the least likely I believe). We can speculate but none of us know what goes on at the training ground or in the dressing room.

I don't get the Sammy thing either, but there's no use getting worked up over it, not likely to solve anything.

In short, Chill Pills all round, it could be far far worse than it is.

First-half was as good I've seen from us since we got promoted again, but we got stale around the 60-65 minute mark, Swansea began to look comfortable...that's when HBA should have been introduced.

If we still couldn't get through then fair enough, but we would have at least tried to change things.

Every team has at least one game like this a season, where you dominate a game but end up getting a point or sometimes nowt. It happens, there will be games this season (Wigan at home?) where we don't deserve to win but do. That's football I'm afraid. First half was the best I've seen us play in ages! Demba, Colo, Perch and Santon were the standouts for us. I said before the game I'd take 7 points out of the next three, so that target is still achievable, hopefully starting Wednesday night :thup:

Guest firetotheworks

It was an incredibly frustrating match, but aside from obatan I thought we were brilliant and couldn't really fault anyone. I was really impressed with Santon's ability, but I think it was his effort that endeared him to everyone.

Some of the nonsense spouted in here does my nut in. Ok, so we didn't win but the only thing I can think of that I would have changed was bringing Arfa for Obertan at some point. Jonas and Best getting some undeserved stick as well, both had decent games IMO, and we look a lot better with Best back up top with Ba.

We absolutely dominated the game, they had settled for a point after 30 seconds and did their best to slow the game down and unsettle us for the rest of the match. The ref let a lot go early on which he could have dealt with and maybe they might have ended up with a man sent off.

On another day with more luck we win that game 4-0. We played well and created chances, that's a good starting point as far as I'm concerned. We press the ball quickly, challenge for most of the loose balls, get it wide and try and get it in the box. The front two move well and hold it up nicely, not letting the back four get any rest. These are all positives in my eyes. Cabaye's set pieces were abysmal today, which didn't help, but with no Guthrie or Raylor on the pitch we had nobody else to take them.

Obviously I agree Ben Arfa should have come on but for some reason Pards isn't seeing it with him at the minute. We don't know why, could be a little niggle, could be his legendary temperament causing problems, could just be that Pards doesn't rate him (the least likely I believe). We can speculate but none of us know what goes on at the training ground or in the dressing room.

I don't get the Sammy thing either, but there's no use getting worked up over it, not likely to solve anything.

In short, Chill Pills all round, it could be far far worse than it is.

Every word :thup:

First-half was as good I've seen from us since we got promoted again, but we got stale around the 60-65 minute mark, Swansea began to look comfortable...that's when HBA should have been introduced.

If we still couldn't get through then fair enough, but we would have at least tried to change things.

Agree with this. Krul didn't have a single shot to save and i can't remember him even touching the ball in the 1st half.

We ran out of ideas in the 2nd and introducing Shola was a nonsense, Best had played well and won everything in the air but obviously short of match fitness and i think Ben Arfa should have come on not Shola.

Yeap, seemed like such the obvious choice watching the game. All the more frustrating given that he did the same last week as well.

Jonas has been outstanding this season apart from the last few games.

Correction...

Jonas has been outstanding this season until he signed a new contract.

Jonas has also forgotten how to dribble. Looks like he's about to fall over whenever he tries to run at someone.

The skill is still there, just that little bit of acceleration seems to be missing so it doesn't come off as well. Bit weird though that off-colour Jonas still seems to mean an off-colour Newcastle attack.

Thought we'd moved past that, but there's only so much Cabaye can create centrally against deep-sitting teams and Obertan at his best is (so far!) the same as an off-colour Jonas. Neither quite as terrible has been made out, but obviously neither good enough to really cut and carve up a team defending for a point.