Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

The two options on the right should be HBA and Raylor - the former for the games when we're able to go more attacking and the latter for his defensive ability. Obertan shouldn't factor.

Absolutely spot on. Obertan's role has to be as an impact player.

Guest bimpy474

Our position of 7th (6th i know at the moment) is exactly where we deserve to be after a great season so far, the reason we are close to 4th is more down to Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool's failings imo, mind you, that should put us off going for 4th, its their fault that their seasons have been so poor so far.

Tbh he appears to be a fairly nice guy and he has done OK this season but the fact Ryan Taylor has seemingly become an important player sucks big time.

I would agree but you can't knock his performances this year. Okay, he looked a bit out of his depth at left back after a few months but in midfield he's disciplined enough to play on the RW, particularly in game where we're not instantly favourites. For example he was great against Man United.

The two options on the right should be HBA and Raylor - the former for the games when we're able to go more attacking and the latter for his defensive ability. Obertan shouldn't factor.

Absolutely spot on. Obertan's role has to be as an impact player.

You can call it what you like, but as long as he never starts again I'll be happy.

This is getting a bit boring but this is my input:

Ben Arfa should be starting games, it's as simple as that. Pardew's handling of this whole affair (comments in public instead of private, etc.) is definitely one thing which I disagree with but to suggest that Pardew shouldn't be managing the club because of such a situation is quite laughable imo.

This may be massive wishful thinking on my part but I'm pretty certain Pardew wants to play Ben Arfa in the team but for unknown reasons (we really don't know what's going on behind the scenes), it's simply not happening. Hmmm. Mind you though, I'll go as far as to say that I'm confident Ben Arfa has a future here.

I say, let's wait and see what happens between now and the end of the season - on the one hand, the situation could improve very favourably or on the other, the situation deteriorates, ie. he doesn't get into the team even though the likes of Cabaye and Tiote are in the side.

Tbh he appears to be a fairly nice guy and he has done OK this season but the fact Ryan Taylor has seemingly become an important player sucks big time.

I would agree but you can't knock his performances this year. Okay, he looked a bit out of his depth at left back after a few months but in midfield he's disciplined enough to play on the RW, particularly in game where we're not instantly favourites. For example he was great against Man United.

I don't think he was great against Man U. Infact I think he was probably our weakest performing player in that match. :dontknow:

This is getting a bit boring but this is my input:

Ben Arfa should be starting games, it's as simple as that. Pardew's handling of this whole affair (comments in public instead of private, etc.) is definitely one thing which I disagree with but to suggest that Pardew shouldn't be managing the club because of such a situation is quite laughable imo.

This may be massive wishful thinking on my part but I'm pretty certain Pardew wants to play Ben Arfa in the team but for unknown reasons (we really don't know what's going on behind the scenes), it's simply not happening. Hmmm. Mind you though, I'll go as far as to say that I'm confident Ben Arfa has a future here.

I say, let's wait and see what happens between now and the end of the season - on the one hand, the situation could improve very favourably or on the other, the situation deteriorates, ie. he doesn't get into the team even though the likes of Cabaye and Tiote are in the side.

Good post.

I don't think he was great against Man U. Infact I think he was probably our weakest performing player in that match. :dontknow:

Even if he was the worst player on the pitch that night, it's hardly a black mark against his name :lol:

Even if he was the worst player on the pitch that night, it's hardly a black mark against his name :lol:

Fair point, well taken.  :lol:

Still don't like the fact he's becoming not just a key player but a bit of cult hero amongst the fans. The bloke's one of the worst footballers in the league in terms of general play.

Still don't like the fact he's becoming not just a key player but a bit of cult hero amongst the fans. The bloke's one of the worst footballers in the league in terms of general play.

Agreed, it's amazing what one free kick against the mackems can do.

Good post :thup:

Danny is worse though

While he agree he's not a brilliant footballer you can only really judge players on their recent form and on the whole he's performed very well this season. Compare this to Obertan who has featured 20 times for us and been the worst player on the pitch aside for one, possibly two games and it's only fair that he should be fighting with HBA for the RW spot.

Danny is worse though

Guthrie? He is in no way a poor footballer.

a bit too far but agree with sentiment...his overall delivery is a big plus though, and with Ba in the side, he can be an absolute weapon...

Danny is worse though

Think he means Simpson.

Danny is worse though

Think he means Simpson.

Oh. For one brilliant moment I'd forgotten about him.

We've managed without Steven Taylor but he'd walk back into the side when he's fit. We've managed without the African lads for a while too but they have/will walk back into the team. Pick your best players, simples.

Wrong.  Pick your best team.  Simpler.

If we are a better team with Obertan or Ryan Tyalor in ahead of Ben Arfa then he should just retire, the games up :lol:

Given our excellent position in the league, there is nothing to suggest that we are a worse team for playing Obertan and Taylor.

People seem to think that Pardew is a Premiership manager by chance and that he hasn't a clue what he is doing.  If it is so easy to manage a squad of players, I'm surprised that more of us armchair critics aren't standing on the hallowed turfs of Premiership grounds plying our trades.

Until something goes seriously wrong with our results - and I don't count the Spurs score at such an occasion, given the standard of football they have been playing of late - Pardew has my complete trust.  If HBA is not playing, I am sure that there is a reason.

Horrible post. Check our results since Man City game and you will see they havent been good. We have been s**** for a large part of the games since our first lost. Changes shouldve been made months ago.

That game was two months ago, we are 6th a point behind 4th.

Sunderland who have been the best team ever since Saint Martin took over have made up 3 points.

We have lost our leading scorer for a number of those games, our midfield destroyer as well as our best partner for Colo.

Yeah we have been s*** tbf, changes need to be made NOW!  :doh:

three months. learn how to count, then argue.

Let me ask you, in 14 games we have played since City game, we have taken a total of 17 points (winning 5 and drawing 2) bar the Man Utd games, how do you think our performances have been? Have we been encouraging? Did we comfortably beat any of them? Could we with a little bit of less luck or individual brilliance have lost those games?

We also lost 6 matches since the City game, conceding a total of 23goals in those 6 games, almost an average of 4 goals per game. We were also sent out of the cup to Brighton.

If you still tell me we have been playing good and results have been great since then and no changes need to be made, especially at the back four then I dont feel the need to ever discuss with you again. Its so ridiculous that most are blinded by the standings, and thinking our results and performances have been great, we are relying on our great start to the season.

We have been near embarassing for most part of a three month spell now and we are yet to move Danny to the bench or play HBA on one of the flanks. 

Oh and this edition of the PL is shit weak, just look at how the PL teams are coping in Europe.

"Near embarrassing for 3 months." I bet there's quite a few sides in the league that could be as embarrassing as us.

There's hyperbole and then there's good old fashioned horse shit. Utterly ludicrous codswallop.

We've managed without Steven Taylor but he'd walk back into the side when he's fit. We've managed without the African lads for a while too but they have/will walk back into the team. Pick your best players, simples.

Wrong.  Pick your best team.  Simpler.

If we are a better team with Obertan or Ryan Tyalor in ahead of Ben Arfa then he should just retire, the games up :lol:

Given our excellent position in the league, there is nothing to suggest that we are a worse team for playing Obertan and Taylor.

People seem to think that Pardew is a Premiership manager by chance and that he hasn't a clue what he is doing.  If it is so easy to manage a squad of players, I'm surprised that more of us armchair critics aren't standing on the hallowed turfs of Premiership grounds plying our trades.

Until something goes seriously wrong with our results - and I don't count the Spurs score at such an occasion, given the standard of football they have been playing of late - Pardew has my complete trust.  If HBA is not playing, I am sure that there is a reason.

Horrible post. Check our results since Man City game and you will see they havent been good. We have been s**** for a large part of the games since our first lost. Changes shouldve been made months ago.

That game was two months ago, we are 6th a point behind 4th.

Sunderland who have been the best team ever since Saint Martin took over have made up 3 points.

We have lost our leading scorer for a number of those games, our midfield destroyer as well as our best partner for Colo.

Yeah we have been s*** tbf, changes need to be made NOW!  :doh:

three months. learn how to count, then argue.

Let me ask you, in 14 games we have played since City game, we have taken a total of 17 points (winning 5 and drawing 2) bar the Man Utd games, how do you think our performances have been? Have we been encouraging? Did we comfortably beat any of them? Could we with a little bit of less luck or individual brilliance have lost those games?

We also lost 6 matches since the City game, conceding a total of 23goals in those 6 games, almost an average of 4 goals per game. We were also sent out of the cup to Brighton.

If you still tell me we have been playing good and results have been great since then and no changes need to be made, especially at the back four then I dont feel the need to ever discuss with you again. Its so ridiculous that most are blinded by the standings, and thinking our results and performances have been great, we are relying on our great start to the season.

We have been near embarassing for most part of a three month spell now and we are yet to move Danny to the bench or play HBA on one of the flanks. 

Oh and this edition of the PL is shit weak, just look at how the PL teams are coping in Europe.

Apologies, I thought we were still in January for some reason :lol: 3 months makes my point even more valid though doesn't it?

Unless we were a massive amount of points ahead of everyone else around us at that time we can't have done as bad as you think, can we? ???

We have had some shit games, we have had some heavy defeats, not sure how playing Ben Arfa would have stopped those goals going in though. Not exactly known as a defensive lynchpin is he? Ok he might have kept the ball in the oppositions half a little better but there is also a good chance we would have been caught out even more on the counter as he is someone more willing to take a risk. Not sure what the point is of talking about goals conceded when talking about this player.

Again you are talking about changes to the defence in the Ben Arfa thread, I don't understand why. The only change we could really make is dropping Simpson for Taylor and for me at least Simpson is the better defender so I am not sure how that would shore up the defence.

You talk about if luck hadn't gone our way as if we are the only team that relies on luck at times, it's just a poor argument that I can't even bother to start with.

If we have been embarrassing I must have forgotten all the amazing football we have been playing since 2004. Maybe you need help differentiating Brazil and Newcastle, that's the only reason I can think you are seeing all these 'embarrassing' performances.

We are playing not fantastic football, we are playing a lot of games with fringe players but still managing to get results to keep us where we are.

The Ben Arfa issue is really doing strange things to some people and completely distorting any realistic expectations.

Here's a nice little bit of info.

For all everyone is saying the top teams are shit and inconsistent this year, let's have a look at the points tallies of the top five at this point in time in previous years.

Currently:

http://i.imgur.com/h3F3f.png

Last year:

http://i.imgur.com/o0tpF.png

2009/10:

http://i.imgur.com/9mWKH.png

2008/09:

http://i.imgur.com/R4H0V.png

Look at the points for 5th. Are we really up there purely because the so-called big clubs are poo this time? Doesn't look like it.

Aye, Cajun, didnt even notice it was the Ben Arfa thread. Was thinking it was the Pardew thread, would be more fitting there. Sorry about that, my point still stands though. We have nowhere near been playing good football or getting good results since Man City game. We are averaging a bit over 1 point per game since that match. We are heavily relying on our great start and need to change before other teams start to catch us. 

And Dave no, but it shows that the two top teams who were eliminated early in the CL are 12p ahead of 4th place. Rest of the league is really really weak.

"Near embarrassing for 3 months." I bet there's quite a few sides in the league that could be as embarrassing as us.

Yes you are right, like I mentioned.

Can someone explain to me if Ben Arfa's work rate is the problem, then why are we linked with the likes of Zaha and Hoilett because its not like their work rate is any better and i doubt they are as talented.

Just doesnt make sense, because if Ben Arfa is anything to go by...... then surely Pardew would drop them aswell?

.......and yet he's considerably more effective than Obertan