Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Robert did more then Ben Arfa has for Newcastle so far.  Though Ben Arfa does contribute more in general play and his goal scoring record per game is as good.  Really the problem so far has been injuries and being in a side where him saving us means us scraping through a game to help us avoid relegation or at best get into the top 6.  Rather than being in a position to put us top of the league like Robert did.

Ben Arfa has more burden on his shoulders as nobody else moves or open up play. Robert still contributed shitloads in general play. Got in behind defences, ran at them, shot from everywhere and was always open at LW. Hammered crosses in all the time. Fantastic player in his prime.

Robert and Ben Arfa's Premier League goal ratios for Newcastle are actually very similar (goal every 4.7 games for Ben Arfa vs a goal every 4.3 games for Robert).  Of course so far Ben Arfa's been playing less games than Robert did, which is why he only has 10 Premier League goals in his 3 years so far compared to Roberts 30 Premier League goals in 5 years.

Robert played for us for 4 years, not 5.

I love Hatem, our best player by a distance but Laurent Robert in terms of substance was magic, and on a different level.

Pretty certain we spent all of the season we finished 5th in, in the top 5, before Hatem got into the side. Clean sheets + Ba's goals took us there.

Regardless, as a Newcastle player Robert > HBA. By a mile. HBA's behind Solano too for me.

Robert was allowed to play his game, that makes a massive difference.

:lol:

Bobby had Robert in his office 'more times than any player' he ever worked with to explain to him his defensive responsibilities.

Well done to Sewelly, like. It's fantastic. A lot of his long(er) range goals look like suspect keeping but when you were behind them and could appreciate the power and spin he'd impart there's just very little that could be done.

Him and Pedro, my all-time favourites.

Robert and Ben Arfa's Premier League goal ratios for Newcastle are actually very similar (goal every 4.7 games for Ben Arfa vs a goal every 4.3 games for Robert).  Of course so far Ben Arfa's been playing less games than Robert did, which is why he only has 10 Premier League goals in his 3 years so far compared to Roberts 30 Premier League goals in 5 years.

Robert played for us for 4 years, not 5.

I love Hatem, our best player by a distance but Laurent Robert in terms of substance was magic, and on a different level.

Fair enough he was on loan at Portsmouth for the last year, I was basing my opinion on goals/assists to games ratio though so it doesn't change my opinion.  I loved Robert here and was often the one supporting him against idiots asking for him to be substituted, usually before he scored the winner, brilliant player :)  But on a different level to Ben Arfa?, fuck off :lol:

In terms of substance I think he was.

Yeah fair enough Robert contributed more than Ben Arfa has so far no doubt, but I think injuries are the main reason for that.  Certainly per game their goal ratio is very similar, lets just hope he gets enough games here to hit as many goals as Robert did :love:

I didn't make that one!

Edit: oh Robert's, yeah I did

Wait, you didn't make the Robert video with clocks playing over it did you?? ???

Robert played for us before I took much of an interest in football but I remember bits and pieces of him. Watched a compilation on YouTube of him recently and some of the goals he scored were rediculous, fairly sure some of those aren't actually possible :lol:

In terms of giving f***s, Robert certainly gave none.

One of my favorites to ever wear our shirt and one of my personal favorite players ever. Some of the things he did man, my goodness that magical left foot of his.

TaylorJ nailed it too, another one of those crazy lads who's played for us you can't help but love.

Hatem has every bit of skill and talent to go on and be remembered forever as one of our greats if he gets himself fit enough to play multiple full seasons relatively injury free and signs a new deal with us.

That was my favourite one. The angle he was and just smacked it. :lol:

Kick started the Champions League push too because we were on a bad run and 0-2 down at that point.