Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

The 'would HBA get into the 01/02 team' is a bit misleading as we played with a fast paced 4-4-2 formation which isn't really suited to his style.    As an overall player he's better than Robert, but he wouldn't be as effective in such a system.

Coloccini would walk into any side we've ever had.

Depends on what Keegan team really.... i agree on ahead of Gillespie but it wasn't always Gillespie.

As for ahead of Dyer? Ben Arfa as a CM next to Speed really?

fwiw, I dunno where I would put him in Robson's team. He'd be ahead of Gillespie in Keegan's team, I imagine.

I don't think Hatem would get into either team if i'm honest, he's great but not THAT great.

Is definitely is that great man, he's one of the most talented players I've ever seen.

Performances > Talent.

HBA is comfortably a better player than Dyer.  And Dyer wasn't exactly the best defensively, so there's no reason why HBA couldn't play alongside Speed.

Ben Arfa with movement around him and options like Dyer, Bellamy, Ferdinand and Shearer to pass to would be a different player.  Some people seem to have this view of him that he's greedy and won't pass or waits to long to pass.  But the fact is if you watch him his heads always going up looking for movement and if he eventually decides not to pass its usually because he sees no decent options.  Often the only pass available to him is a short ball to someone who 99% of the time does fuck all with it.  Definitely think with good movement around him he'd pass more and quicker.  He does make some mistakes obviously, nobody's perfect but personally I'd have him in any of our sides through the years.

Depends on what Keegan team really.... i agree on ahead of Gillespie but it wasn't always Gillespie.

As for ahead of Dyer? Ben Arfa as a CM next to Speed really?

fwiw, I dunno where I would put him in Robson's team. He'd be ahead of Gillespie in Keegan's team, I imagine.

I don't think Hatem would get into either team if i'm honest, he's great but not THAT great.

Is definitely is that great man, he's one of the most talented players I've ever seen.

Performances > Talent.

HBA is comfortably a better player than Dyer.  And Dyer wasn't exactly the best defensively, so there's no reason why HBA couldn't play alongside Speed.

Dyer was fantastic on the break though. The number of times Solano would pick the ball up in our own half and set either him or Bellamy tearing down the pitch on a counter...was great to watch.

The 'would HBA get into the 01/02 team' is a bit misleading as we played with a fast paced 4-4-2 formation which isn't really suited to his style.    As an overall player he's better than Robert, but he wouldn't be as effective in such a system.

Disagree if i'm honest, Robert has won more games for this football club than HBA ever will.

Talent is irrelevant unless its combined with consistent performances.

Disagree if i'm honest, Robert has won more games for this football club than HBA ever will.

Talent is irrelevant unless its combined with consistent performances.

If you put Ben Arfa in that 01/02 team with that quality of players around him I'm sure you would see a far more effective player (injuries aside). Put Robert in todays team and he'd be nowhere near as effective as he was.

"injuries aside" Michael Owen would've been a success at Newcastle.

Totally different case, Owen's injury in 2006 was the beginning of the end for him, he was never a top player after that, he did have a good few months under Keegan but theres nothing to suggest he would have sustained that form when you consider the level of his performances from late 2008 onwards. Injury fucked Owen, Ben Arfa's injuries haven't took anything away from him. This wasn't the major point here though, the point was that Ben Arfa would have been far more effective in Sir Bobby's team with such great players around him. Can you imagine Robert in this team firing crosses in for Cisse and Ameobi?

Guest firetotheworks

Dunno where all the Gillespie hating is coming from, he was absolutely mint. Surely Hatem would have replaced Scott Sellars?

It's not hatred, it's just that that's where Ben Arfa plays and he's better than Gillespie was, imo. Sellars wouldn't be in there because Ginola was in there tbf.

Robert was an awesome player for us, but in todays side he'd be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I completely disagree, we are a side struggling to create goals. Not only would he help that, he is also capable to banging in shots/freekicks from all over.

He would be perfect for our struggling side.

They will probably offer him a new deal with a paycut which he will turn down.  They will then say he turned down a lucrative offer which gave them no option but sell him!!!  Fans will then be angry at Ben Arfa for turning down said lucrative contract and accuse him of being greedy when he signs for a bigger club.

Alternatively, other clubs are sniffing around and we need him on a longer contract to maximise the transfer fee.

Like a new signing.

They're arses will be getting twitchy because if he has a good season and hasn't signed one he'll have to be sold as law dictates when a player has 12months left on a deal.

Obviously really really hope he signs.

It was first reported that we were going to give him a new deal back in February:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2284104/Newcastle-keen-sign-Hatem-Ben-Arfa-long-term-deal-Liverpool-interest.html

7 months on and nothing has happened.

He will have 18 months left on his contract if he hasn't signed a contract by January, and is the only one of our valuable players who's contract has got to that stage, so considering a new offer for him would have been a priority for some time. Or it would have been if we had a semi competent director of football anyway.

HBA may not want to sign - he may think his talents deserve a better stage, and in all honesty it would be hard to disagree.

We also might not want him to sign. We appear to do fake bids for players, we have also done fake contract offers (Nolan).

.COM seemed convinced we've been determined to cash in on our most valuable assets for the whole summer (although that doesn't necessarily mean it's true).

Just really hope this ends in him signing a new deal.