Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Guest Sophie S

You're probably asking the wrong person, I'm not English, so no ties for me here. ;)

But I can see why other people would feel not very excited about the English national team. In the end it is about emotional attachment. With Newcastle you watch their matches weekly, you follow their every transfer and rumour. And still occasionally you can't help but admire the football that the top teams are playing. But a national team is a mix of people chucked into a pot with very little time for you to start liking them and feel like you, as a fan, are part of them. In fact, you dislike most of the players for the majority of the season for being cocky idiots, even more so when you read in the paper what despicable fellows some of them are, and all of a sudden you are supposed to like them.?!

The ties to a national team are imo just not as strong as to a club. And if they do nothing for you on the pitch in terms of quality and excitement to get you on their side, how do you get attached to the team? The media tries it by creating the “we”-feeling and hype, but I don’t think that works for everyone.

And why else would you support a team if not for their footballing qualities nor for your personal attachment to the team? Just to see Germany loose when they are actually playing better football?

Having said that, I don't think anyone will actively cheer against England (I wouldn't do that - except for feeling cheekily happy when Andy Carroll fails), but I can definitely see why some people are not be bothered and actually prefer watching other teams.

I'm always a little bit indifferent towards England at the start of a tournament.  Because the seasons just ended and my focus has been on Newcastle all year.  But as the games go along I usually get more and more into it to the point were I'm desperate for England to win.  Though I have to say this time I feel especially indifferent.  I just don't like any England payer this year, they're pretty much all toss pots.  But I still expect to be on the edge of my seat desperate for a win by the end of the groups.  I means if England come up against Germany again who here wouldn't be desperate to beat the c***s?

:morph: I'd much rather see more of the entertaining football that Germany has played in recent tournaments than the boring stuff the English team has shown.

Whats the difference between doing that and supporting Arsenal over Newcastle because for long periods they were playing nicer football also? Your ties are with Newcastle, as they are with England. You can respect other sides quality of football, you dont go and start supporting them.

People can decide whoever the hell their ties are, and if they choose not to give a rats arse about England that's up to them.

I'll probably end up supporting England in the end but right now I really couldn't be less interested and I certainly don't blame anybody who will actively turn a blind eye to the national team this summer.

Guest Craig-NUFC

You're probably asking the wrong person, I'm not English, so no ties for me here. ;)

But I can see why other people would feel not very excited about the English national team. In the end it is about emotional attachment. With Newcastle you watch their matches weekly, you follow their every transfer and rumour. And still occasionally you can't help but admire the football that the top teams are playing. But a national team is a mix of people chucked into a pot with very little time for you to start liking them and feel like you, as a fan, are part of them. In fact, you dislike most of the players for the majority of the season for being cocky idiots, even more so when you read in the paper what despicable fellows some of them are, and all of a sudden you are supposed to like them.?!

The ties to a national team are imo just not as strong as to a club. And if they do nothing for you on the pitch in terms of quality and excitement to get you on their side, how do you get attached to the team? The media tries it by creating the “we”-feeling and hype, but I don’t think that works for everyone.

And why else would you support a team if not for their footballing qualities nor for your personal attachment to the team? Just to see Germany loose when they are actually playing better football?

Having said that, I don't think anyone will actively cheer against England (I wouldn't do that - except for feeling cheekily happy when Andy Carroll fails), but I can definitely see why some people are not be bothered and actually prefer watching other teams.

http://www.fitsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/nail-on-head.jpg

theres a difference now. in years past i've disliked many england players, often becaused the had mildly annoying personalities and were good players who didn't play for my team. now there are many thoroughly horrid humans beings who play for england it's too difficuilt to want them to achieve anything.

Dave said one thing about the South African world cup, and how crap it was.

Never gave it much thought before, and with the effing media, you couldn't say anything negative about South Africa.

But he was right when I thought about it. It got so I stopped watching. The worst World Cup EVER

And those ********* vuvezelas just made it worse

(Thank got it never caught on anywhere else in the world)

Thanks, you just reminded me of this post:

This is what happens when you give the World Cup to a shitty nation who doesn't deserve it, who spends millions on new stadiums while making millions homeless while watching their Countryman die of AIDs and do nothing about it. The reason they are so popular is because there is a void left to fill due to the new stadiums and increased interest, everyone wants to be involved but haven't a clue how to, they don't know how to support and they don't know what football is about, so these plastic mares fill in that void nicely with a dull monotonous sound driving real football fans crazy. culture my arse, its the lack of culture that has made these so popular with the mongs.

This tournament has shown one thing; Africa wasn't ready for the World Cup and probably will never be in the future. Someone's sitting on some massive back handers, I can guess his name it sounds like Sep(tic) Bladder.

Just look at this cunt:

http://daylife.sky.com/imageserve/0eece2cbS01Il/610x.jpg

That's what football means to her, blow something as loud as possible and need workman earphones so she doesn't go deaf but the rest of the crowd can go fuk themselves.

;D

Well theres lots of sides playing far less quality football than England with fans getting behind them purely because theyre representing their place of birth. Thats surely why most fans support their countries not quality of football. They play less often yes, but that applies to all national teams. Player personalities is probably where it stems from as you say & for me end of the season you just let go of your rivalries. Its only meant to be a bit of fun. Terry is a well publicised cock, beyond that i dont see how the England players are that bad tbh. Let alone when many of us were supporting Barton last season. I imagine most would get over their dislikes if these players played well for Newcastle, dont see why that wouldnt be extended to England myself.

Guest Phil K

Thanks, you just reminded me of this post:

;D

Well.....MUCH better and more accurate summing up of the Summer of Sh*te in South Africa, I'll have to say

And can't see anything I didn't disagree with

Just maybe, they DID try, and France went home with their petulant tails between their legs and their bottom lips sticking out, and DeJong showing how insane defenders tackle (strangely had loads of support from the media when he crippled Ben Arfa though)