Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Keep seeing him pick the ball up outside our box and run well into their half, that is bound to knacker the shite out of you. Would like to see the runs start at midfield more.

As I said before I'd love to see a diagram of every position that he receives the ball in a typical game and I'd be surprised if the majority were in the opposition half. Same for Cisse and Ba - two centre forwards whose average receipt position must be about 40 yards from goal.

Never been rapid? Lose against most full backs in a foot race? Come on :lol:

:lol: He almost skinned BAE in the first game of the season after giving him a massive head start

He was on something in that game to be fair :) im not saying he's slow by any stretch just he hasn't got a great top speed but he has superb acceleration meaning he gets the better of players more often than not.

Keep seeing him pick the ball up outside our box and run well into their half, that is bound to knacker the s**** out of you. Would like to see the runs start at midfield more.

As I said before I'd love to see a diagram of every position that he receives the ball in a typical game and I'd be surprised if the majority were in the opposition half. Same for Cisse and Ba - two centre forwards whose average receipt position must be about 40 yards from goal.

He's mainly a wasted talent at the minute and can still change a game.

He tried to dribble the ball out from too close to our goal today, although it wasn't his fault as most of the time he had no ball outlet. Got tackled a few times, when he got it right he looked dangerous aka our goal today. Jose to be fair did better today than his last game at St James' Park, although he didn't have a clue where the ball was for the goal.

It wasn't that noticeable when he absolutely burned 3 WBA players, in particular Mulumbu, who's no slouch. It's simply a tiredness issue, I'm certain.

I think it was Mike who's comment was spot on for that.

Something like "I was just waiting to see how he was going to beat those 3 dudes" :lol:

Ridiculous pace and acceleration.

I think the problem is that he often has to use his pace in positions where he shouldn't be or shouldn't have to rather. Our team doesn't move enough to provide outlets for him to conserve his energy in the final 3rd of the pitch. Usually it's Ben Arfa taking the ball out of our own box/half and by the time he needs his pace to get into their box he's out of puff.

Suarez absolutely terrorised our defence not because he's more talented then Ben Arfa but because when they're not attacking he's standing/walking around near our centre halves and uses his saved up energy to burst into our half of the field when they attack.

If we start moving/passing more as a team and Ben Arfa can conserve his energy for bursts into the box/wing (like he did for the goal today) we'll really start seeing his pace.

Keep seeing him pick the ball up outside our box and run well into their half, that is bound to knacker the s**** out of you. Would like to see the runs start at midfield more.

He's mainly a wasted talent at the minute and can still change a game.

Absolutely spot on. In fact most of our players are. We have great talent. Pardew coaches the team like we haven´t.

Reflecting on his recent performances a bit more, I think it’s either in-game tiredness (both physical and mental) or a slight dip in motivation. He has tried some, let’s say, lazier attempts at taking players on of late but also his defensive game has gotten worse too. In the first 6 games or so, when he was tracking back he was winning tackles regularly and getting plaudits for it but ever since that Man U second half, we mostly see a lazy attempt at sticking a leg out or something along those lines and the opponent more often than not glides past him. He still makes sure he’s back in his ‘zone’ and tracks well enough (he made an excellent defensive headed clearance yesterday) but overall it’s not at the standard it was, much like his attacking play.

I don’t think anyone should really be getting on his back too much mind, he’s still producing some real moments of magic a game, even if it isn’t quite as much as before.

I actually thought for the last 25-30 mins of the first half, the movement was better and there was a bit of fluidity to the front three.  HBA was popping up in different positions, Ba was drifting wide allowing Cabaye and HBA to advance through the middle and Cisse started to come off the line.  Had them on the ropes for the last part of the half.

Then Ba went off, then Cabaye and we fell apart.  Trying to defend a one goal lead with less than 100 passes was always going to be a struggle.

If we can play like we did at the end of the first half and on the front foot, then we'd actually get the best out of HBA.  It would help the majority of the team TBH.

I actually thought his defending was pretty good considering.  Won a few headers, tracked back and made a few more committed challenges by his standards.  But that is just not his game and I don't expect him to be doing it for 90 minutes.

I actually thought for the last 25-30 mins of the first half, the movement was better and there was a bit of fluidity to the front three.  HBA was popping up in different positions, Ba was drifting wide allowing Cabaye and HBA to advance through the middle and Cisse started to come off the line.  Had them on the ropes for the last part of the half.

Then Ba went off, then Cabaye and we fell apart.  Trying to defend a one goal lead with less than 100 passes was always going to be a struggle.

If we can play like we did at the end of the first half and on the front foot, then we'd actually get the best out of HBA.  It would help the majority of the team TBH.

I actually thought his defending was pretty good considering.  Won a few headers, tracked back and made a few more committed challenges by his standards.  But that is just not his game and I don't expect him to be doing it for 90 minutes.

Generally agree apart from the last bit, I think he seemed more committed defensively earlier on in the campaign. We would get more out of him by having a more attack minded style but there's definitely a bit of snap missing from his individual performances, people are saying it's his pace but I think it's more his agility which is looking a little tired.

HATEM Ben Arfa says he and his Newcastle United team-mates can put their Anfield disappointment behind them – by recording back to back wins.

A superb second-half goal from Luis Suarez claimed a point for Liverpool on Sunday.

Alan Pardew’s side, looking to claim Newcastle’s first win at the stadium in 18 years, had led through a first-half goal Yohan Cabaye, which was created by Ben Arfa.

Pardew lost three players, including Cabaye, to injury and captain Fabricio Coloccini – dismissed for a high challenge on Suarez – to a three-game ban on what was a costly afternoon on Merseyside.

Ben Arfa, yet to feature for United in Europe this season, is now focused on Thursday night’s game at Club Brugge – and beyond that Sunday’s home match against West Ham United.

The aim is to qualify for the Europa League’s Round of 32 – and climb the Premier League table.

“We have a big week ahead,” said Ben Arfa. “First Brugge, and then West Ham, and we have to win both.

“If we win the next few games in the Premier League we will move up the table. There’s West Ham first and then Swansea (on November 17). I think the next five games are very important.”

Newcastle were put under pressure by Liverpool in the first half, but Cabaye’s goal two minutes before the interval turned the game on its head.

And Ben Arfa was frustrated that United couldn’t hold on and claim all three points.

“We did well, but maybe we lost concentration in the second half,” said the 25-year-old. “They scored a goal, but I think we made it hard for them to score more.

“We defended very well in the second half. I think it’s a good point.

“Sometimes it is hard to get points here because there’s a big atmosphere.”

It was Cabaye’s second goal in three games, the midfielder having netted in the Wear-Tyne derby last month.

Ben Arfa broke down the right and played a deep cross which was despatched past Brad Jones by Cabaye with his right foot after he took a touch to control it.

“It was a very nice goal from Cabaye,” added Ben Arfa. “He controlled the ball and shot an unstoppable effort.

“It was a nice cross. Every time I try to create situations like that. If Yohan can keep doing the rest, we’ll be OK.

“We could have won the game. Even after the goal we had chances – two or three – but we had to defend a lot. By the end they could have won the game, but this is a good point.”

However, Coloccini’s dismissal – and the resulting suspension – will prove costly.

“It was the only bad part of the day,” said Ben Arfa. “We have lost Colo, and he’s very important for us. It was the worst experience of the day to lose him.

“I didn’t see the tackle. Sometimes it is about tension in the game. Maybe that is what happened.”

Meanwhile, United will not appeal the red card shown to Coloccini by referee Anthony Taylor.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Incredible half from him, only lacked a goal/assist.

Incredible in turns of dribbling and taking players on, but there were a number of times when he should have released the ball earlier.

Incredible half from him, only lacked a goal/assist.

Incredible in turns of dribbling and taking players on, but there were a number of times when he should have released the ball earlier.

He's not doing himself any favours by delaying the release of the ball as this gives time to defenders to double-up on him. :pilko: