Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Don't forget, he was available from the bench for a lot of last season aswell, from about September onwards, but for whatever reason Pardew preferred Obertan or R. Taylor.

:lol: I'd managed to blank that out of my memory.

What a complete f***ing arsehole  :lol:

Funnily enough that's not how Hatem sees it.

But if you went on like a child every prematch/match/post match thread It's best to ignore Ben Arfa praising the way he was eased in or you'll realise how stupid you looked at the time.

:bluestar:

You're talking absolute shite Cajun, sorry like :lol:

He never played because of his defensive work rate combined with his tendency to lose the ball more than other players, Pardew said this pretty much every week at the time, that Ben Arfa needed to "learn how to play in the team" and bollocks like that. You can see the effects of it now as Ben Arfa, to the detriment of his own game, has spent large portions of matches this season in his own 1/3.

Honestly man, not playing Ben Arfa for about 3 months was not a master-stroke in man-management from Pardew, it was fucking idiotic and arguably cost us a 3rd place finish.

If he doesn't sign a new deal in the summer the club will look to offload him while they can get a good price for him. It's really down to whether he signs a new deal, i just don't think he will.

This shit season has really set us back and unless we do some good business in the summer and we don't get PSG sniffing around him then he may sign a new deal. I don't think Liverpool or the likes would interest him at all, it's really all down to PSG as any club bigger than that will see his character and injury record as a risk. But that PSG link is strong.

Guest icemanblue

:lol: Nah, Hans, you're wrong here. Hatem himself has credited Pardew with making him a better player.

How is he a better player?

You'd have to ask Hatem, but, I guess he means that he's more of a team player. More comfortable and aware defensively, whilst also being more aware of his teammates in attacking positions. Less of a maverick, whilst still retaining his individual brilliance.

PSG are not sniffing around..... they have about 6 players who play in his position, it was just the media asking if he would like to play for them.

They are not actually interested.

We will see in the summer :)

Guest icemanblue

How was it not good man management? I don't think it can be denied if the player himself says it was.

If you're arguing that it wasn't good 'tactical' management, then there'll be a bit more to that.

Ben Arfa has been retrained as a modern winger which means he needs to do as much defending as he does attacking. Hatem now fits into a "box" which is the main thing these days. Any kind of maverick, unpredictability in players like him need to be controlled and zombified as soon as possible.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bj277ieBuBM/T-VOChFYJ-I/AAAAAAAAEj8/LtqlaA6ezSo/s1600/Jack-Nicholson-One-Flew-Over-the-Cuckoos-Nest.jpg

I was angry at Pardew at the time, but it seems like to me he did the right thing for the long term.

Same with Santon and who knows maybe arguably with Anita and Mbiwa too.

There is no doubt Ben Arfa is a much better footballer now than he was when Pardew arrived, i don't like Pardew as much as the next man but he deserves credit here even if it held Hatem back initially.

How was it not good man management? I don't think it can be denied if the player himself says it was.

If you're arguing that it wasn't good 'tactical' management, then there'll be a bit more to that.

Surely there was more ways to go about it that dropping him though? And it wasn't just 1 or 2 games either. I doubt Bobby Robson would have had to have dropped Ben Arfa put it that way.

Great, let's talk about selling the best player we've had in 20 years some more.

Dude, he's our best player and a great player on his day, but you need to quit this OTT rubbish. You were comparing him with Van Persie before.

Guest neesy111

Great, let's talk about selling the best player we've had in 20 years some more.

Dude, he's our best player and a great player on his day, but you need to quit this OTT rubbish. You were comparing him with Van Persie before.

Best player in 20 years.  :lol:

Guest icemanblue

Surely there was more ways to go about it that dropping him though? And it wasn't just 1 or 2 games either. I doubt Bobby Robson would have had to have dropped Ben Arfa put it that way.

Well, I'm making an assumption that he wasn't just 'dropped'. I would imagine he was left out after being given reasons why by Pardew. While he was out of the team, he would have been working to improve the sides of his game he needed too. I'm making this assumption based on what Hatem has said since, coupled with the fact he didn't spit his dummy out about inferior players being played ahead of him.

Once an improvement was evident, he was eased back into the team. I don't think anyone can argue that he came back in absolutely explosive form and contributed to our best run of the season. So to an extent; it worked perfectly. He's now rightly recognised as our best player and, according to the man himself, an all round better player. Yes, Bobby may have done things differently, but I don't think that's really relevant. That's why I don't think the 'man management' aspect of this can be questioned at all.

I was angry at Pardew at the time, but it seems like to me he did the right thing for the long term.

There is no doubt Ben Arfa is a much better footballer now than he was when Pardew arrived, i don't like Pardew as much as the next man but he deserves credit here even if it held Hatem back initially.

Same.

Same.

Credit where it's due. :thup: