Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Does it matter what Ben Arfa thinks of Pardew?  I've got little or no doubt that they get on well but I think a lot of us were wondering what was going to happen when he was coming back from the broken bones.  Pardew was almost writing him off during that season when he was talking about him possibly not being here too much longer (my words, not his).  I don't think Ben Arfa is a better player but I do realise that he's matured for us and that isn't a bad thing as historically he's p*ssed managers off and by doing so made himself unavailable for games.

All that doesn't matter, we have a very good footballer coming back from injury and we'll soon be able to watch him play football again.  I’d be over the moon to find out that he’s signed a new contract and I couldn’t give a s*** about his injury record here.  He’s a brilliant footballer and if people can’t enjoy him they shouldn’t be watching football.

:thup:

Don't forget, he was available from the bench for a lot of last season aswell, from about September onwards, but for whatever reason Pardew preferred Obertan or R. Taylor.

:lol: I'd managed to blank that out of my memory.

What a complete f***ing arsehole  :lol:

Funnily enough that's not how Hatem sees it.

But if you went on like a child every prematch/match/post match thread It's best to ignore Ben Arfa praising the way he was eased in or you'll realise how stupid you looked at the time.

:bluestar:

You're talking absolute shite Cajun, sorry like :lol:

He never played because of his defensive work rate combined with his tendency to lose the ball more than other players, Pardew said this pretty much every week at the time, that Ben Arfa needed to "learn how to play in the team" and bollocks like that. You can see the effects of it now as Ben Arfa, to the detriment of his own game, has spent large portions of matches this season in his own 1/3.

Honestly man, not playing Ben Arfa for about 3 months was not a master-stroke in man-management from Pardew, it was fucking idiotic and arguably cost us a 3rd place finish.

Yep, I'm sure you know more than Ben Arfa himself :thup: christ :lol:

The way Pardew treated him was also mentioned in France about why we have such a good reputation over there but carry on.

Also bit of a strange dig at the manager who got us our best finish and points total in years costing us a higher position by being fucking idiotic.

Players say stuff all the time, you don't take it as gospel.

And what exactly did Ben Arfa say anyway? Did he say that Pardew was right and he couldn't have have played football to the level he is now had he been given games earlier? That it was this treatment that finally allowed him to become the player he always was destined to be?

Personally I think the whole thing was a load of nonesense and he could and should have been starting games far earlier than he did.

Ben Arfa is the last player to say stuff in the press to get browny points. He is the exact opposite and far too honest if anything.

Some of what I found;

Speaking to the Telegraph, Ben Arfa said: "I've not had a close relationship with a manager before. He (Pardew) knows when I need to be praised and when I need to be criticised."

"He asks me questions. He doesn't let me do what I want, but he doesn't just tell me what to do either."

"It's the best relationship I've had with a manager and he has been very important to me at Newcastle. He is the coach who has understood me the most."

Despite a bright start to his Newcastle career, Ben Arfa suffered a nasty leg break just weeks after joining the club. During the months of recovery, the former Lyon player admitted that his time spent thinking allowed him realise that perhaps he needed to mature - amid thoughts of whether he had a career to return to at all.

Can't find his other comments but I am sure others will remember them (pretty sure some have commented), unfortunately for us there seems to be hundreds of articles about Ben Arfa injuries online and it was probably one translated from French. Like fuck am I trailing the 1000+ pages in the Ben Arfa threads for them :lol: but he definitely praised Pardew for his handling over the injury.

You don't have to go that far. Just on the page before :

Alan Pardew is a coach with whom you get along…

With Alan, it’s great. From the beginning, he counted on me, don’t forget that I was on loan and there was another coach before him. He didn’t have the chance to put me in the team but he immediately asked the board to sign me while I was confined on a hospital bed with a broken leg!

Already, he showed me the trust which he had in me. Then when I came back from my injury, he gave me time to return properly, because at first, physically, it wasn't pretty good. Then he gave me a lot of responsibilities. We talk and share a lot, there is a real relationship of trust which has settled down between us, a real complicity. With Pardew it's as if we never going to betray each other .This coach/player relation is very important for me.

And just to remind us about the play relationship that Hatem can develop with Debuchy :

Just search Ben Arfa Islande on youtube.

You don't have to go that far. Just on the page before :

Alan Pardew is a coach with whom you get along…

With Alan, it’s great. From the beginning, he counted on me, don’t forget that I was on loan and there was another coach before him. He didn’t have the chance to put me in the team but he immediately asked the board to sign me while I was confined on a hospital bed with a broken leg!

Already, he showed me the trust which he had in me. Then when I came back from my injury, he gave me time to return properly, because at first, physically, it wasn't pretty good. Then he gave me a lot of responsibilities. We talk and share a lot, there is a real relationship of trust which has settled down between us, a real complicity. With Pardew it's as if we never going to betray each other .This coach/player relation is very important for me.

And just to remind us about the play relationship that Hatem can develop with Debuchy :

Just search Ben Arfa Islande on youtube.

:thup: cheers.

Ben Arfa is the last player to say stuff in the press to get browny points. He is the exact opposite and far too honest if anything.

Some of what I found;

Speaking to the Telegraph, Ben Arfa said: "I've not had a close relationship with a manager before. He (Pardew) knows when I need to be praised and when I need to be criticised."

"He asks me questions. He doesn't let me do what I want, but he doesn't just tell me what to do either."

"It's the best relationship I've had with a manager and he has been very important to me at Newcastle. He is the coach who has understood me the most."

Despite a bright start to his Newcastle career, Ben Arfa suffered a nasty leg break just weeks after joining the club. During the months of recovery, the former Lyon player admitted that his time spent thinking allowed him realise that perhaps he needed to mature - amid thoughts of whether he had a career to return to at all.

Can't find his other comments but I am sure others will remember them (pretty sure some have commented), unfortunately for us there seems to be hundreds of articles about Ben Arfa injuries online and it was probably one translated from French. Like fuck am I trailing the 1000+ pages in the Ben Arfa threads for them :lol: but he definitely praised Pardew for his handling over the injury.

Indeed. :thup:

Yet during that time he said this:

"I'm completely fit and believe I'm able to play more than I have done so far. When I see fans in the street, they always ask me why I am not playing. I respond it's not my decision.

"I scored at Bolton but then was still on the bench for the next game. I wasn't surprised though.

"There have been a lot of emotions since I arrived here - positive and negative. I arrived and scored a great goal against Everton, then there was the injury.

"I went from one extreme to the other in a very short amount of time. But I would still say it has been positive so far, mainly because of the fans who have always supported me.

"I'm a competitor and I want to play every game, every minute. The manager knows what I'm thinking. He knows I want to play. He makes his choices and I have to respect them."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7410267/

Don't forget, he was available from the bench for a lot of last season aswell, from about September onwards, but for whatever reason Pardew preferred Obertan or R. Taylor.

But if you went on like a child every prematch/match/post match thread It's best to ignore Ben Arfa praising the way he was eased in or you'll realise how stupid you looked at the time.

He never played because of his defensive work rate combined with his tendency to lose the ball more than other players, Pardew said this pretty much every week at the time, that Ben Arfa needed to "learn how to play in the team" and bollocks like that. You can see the effects of it now as Ben Arfa, to the detriment of his own game, has spent large portions of matches this season in his own 1/3.

Honestly man, not playing Ben Arfa for about 3 months was not a master-stroke in man-management from Pardew, it was fucking idiotic and arguably cost us a 3rd place finish.

Can you remember when the excuse was that he's not a wide player?

Can you remember when the excuse was that he's not a wide player?

Aye :lol:

I'm not saying Pardew has dealt with Ben Arfa poorly, I think he's been brilliant with him on the whole and pretty much everything we see and read points to that. That period of time though, it was ridiculous.

The answer is probably somewhere in between both arguments. I've no doubt that Pardew's a good man manager for Hatem, it'd be silly to argue with Hatem saying so. But I don't believe that Pardew not playing him was part of some man management plan. It was just evidence of an overly cautious, negative manager doing what he's comfortable with.

None of that supports what you're saying. It doesn't contradict it either, but far more evidence points the other way.

It suggests that Ben Arfa was not being selected whilst he was fit and ready to play, I cannot possibly see how it could support what I'm saying more :lol:

Of course he's going to say that at the time though, Hans. He was a frustrated man, itching to get back, show what he can do. I'm glad he made those comments at the time, but it's what he's said in hindsight, what he feels after the time, is what is important I reckon.

None of that supports what you're saying. It doesn't contradict it either, but far more evidence points the other way.

It suggests that Ben Arfa was not being selected whilst he was fit and ready to play, I cannot possibly see how it could support what I'm saying more :lol:

Of course he's going to say that at the time though, Hans. He was a frustrated man, itching to get back, show what he can do. I'm glad he made those comments at the time, but it's what he's said in hindsight, what he feels after the time, is what is important I reckon.

I disagree, it's like when my boss knows I've had a pig of a time recently and has been too busy to offer any support whatsoever.  They ask me while it's going on and I'll go off on a massive rant about it, they ask me when things have calmed down a bit and things are going better for me and I'll say it's no bother and I can barely remember what the fuss was.  Couple that with the fact that it does him/me more harm than good to whinge once matters have improved, well there's not much chance of there being a great deal of moaning going on by that point.  Doesn't mean he seriously agreed with it.

:lol: OK, just ignore my whole post.  My comments in a similar situation at work would be similar, I'd imagine it would be easier to curry favour by acting like it was no big deal and I was just happy to muck in at the time.  It's easy to do that after the event.

Ben Arfa is back, fit and looks raring to go.  Hopefully he get's back to his best and helps us climb up the table and puts in some dazzling performances along the way. :thup:

That is most important.

He's a match winner alright. I'm not only excited about going to the match on sunday to see his return but also to see how his return creates space for the likes of Sissoko, Gouffran and Cisse.

I hope at some point in the match we see what could be a deadly attack of:

Sissoko

HBA                                        Gouffran

Cisse 

His recent comments suggest that he didn't feel physically ready and Pardew allowed him more time out to recover to me, which are a stark contradiction to what he was saying at the time, I wouldn't take any of them at face value personally.

Type "hatem ben arfa come back" into Youtube and it has a little bit of his Man City from MOTD (I think there might be a better video but I cannot find it), physically he looked brilliant in that game, that was over a month before he made those comments.