Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

I agree with him on that as well, honestly i see Remy on the left and Ben Arfa on the right causing problems for most if all teams.

We have bigger problems at the moment; finding a striker which compliments them, a midfield that works consistently and a centre back partnership which is complimentary.

Could also argue the fullbacks are a bit too gun ho in a team which doesn't squeeze the play an press from the front as effectively as it should.

Sounds crazy as it was such a problem last year but i think the wings are the least of our problems at the moment.

I can't help but think that half-time at Everton may be a watershed in Pardew's thinking, and HBA will have to really get his act together to get back in as anything but an impact sub.

Up till now, it feels like our team-building has been based around trying to get a formation that will accommodate HBA, with all his individual brilliance. Hull and Everton part 1 represented a major failure in that strategy. Everton Part 2 and Cardiff seemed to show a more fluent team.

The difficulty with a player like HBA is they don't always turn it on, and you've ended up putting all your eggs in one basket. It can also be difficult for his team-mates, knowing where and when to make a run because they don't know when he's going to release it (if at all).

I suspect that things haven't worked out for him at other clubs for similar reasons. If he's going to get back on track, he needs to be making better decisions on the pitch.

I can't help but think that half-time at Everton may be a watershed in Pardew's thinking, and HBA will have to really get his act together to get back in as anything but an impact sub.

Up till now, it feels like our team-building has been based around trying to get a formation that will accommodate HBA, with all his individual brilliance. Hull and Everton part 1 represented a major failure in that strategy. Everton Part 2 and Cardiff seemed to show a more fluent team.

The difficulty with a player like HBA is they don't always turn it on, and you've ended up putting all your eggs in one basket. It can also be difficult for his team-mates, knowing where and when to make a run because they don't know when he's going to release it (if at all).

I suspect that things haven't worked out for him at other clubs for similar reasons. If he's going to get back on track, he needs to be making better decisions on the pitch.

hang about, he ripped villa apart then had an awful game against hull when he was totally shut out and tactical changes should have been made to open up some space for him, but were not

what did he do vs. everton 'cause i missed it, did he just not track back like vs. hull or something?  vs. hull i thought it was tactical 'cause remy didn't bother either

as for other players not knowing what to do because they're not sure he's going to release the ball have a word, he's spent the last year+ trying to beat people while everyone else stood still, their standing still was fuck all to do with hatem's release of the ball

better manager gets more out of him consistently imo, but as you say he's seemingly had trouble in other clubs with consistency...it's ok though, when he's pardewed out of town and we get the next stewart downing plodding about instead i'm sure we'll all be very happy

Just read an interview from Mourinho where he says Oscar is his preferred no 10 because it's not his job to worry about tracking back, he's in that position to hurt the opposition. I would say Ben Arfa should probably be regarded as that type of player, but Pardew seems to want him to be more like Jonas - a secondary left back.

Cannot wait for him to come back into the squad, score a wondergoal and then have Pardew take the credit.

"He knows how to handle Ben Arfa" "He's played a blinder here, has Pardew"

:lol: :thup:

Some think bastards on this forum like.

Cannot wait for him to come back into the squad, score a wondergoal and then have Pardew take the credit.

"He knows how to handle Ben Arfa" "He's played a blinder here, has Pardew"

:lol: :thup:

Some think bastards on this forum like.

Indeed..

:whistle: :troll:

Wonder if it's worth a try having the team set up like it was yesterday but then simply try Ben Arfa in for Cisse. Have no defensive priorities for him (although obviously he needs to close down centre backs on the ball) and if he picked it up in some of the positions Cisse does then he could turn and go on a run. With Cisse in the form he is in I don't think it's the worst idea.

Wonder if it's worth a try having the team set up like it was yesterday but then simply try Ben Arfa in for Cisse. Have no defensive priorities for him (although obviously he needs to close down centre backs on the ball) and if he picked it up in some of the positions Cisse does then he could turn and go on a run. With Cisse in the form he is in I don't think it's the worst idea.

I suggested the same yesterday. Imagine the pace on the break :sweetjesus:

Part of me would kinda love Ben Arfa as false 9 with this team

Gouffran                      Remy

HBA

Marv

Cabaye      Sissoko

Will never happen and not sure would work, but moving ben arfa to a central role would free up him from defensive duties

I'd like to think his past history of tearing Enrique a new arsehole would get him a start however i feel Saturday's team performance will keep him on the bench. Was devastated when he was dropped but i couldn't complain at half time, we did seem to have a nice balance to the side. Gouffran is proving himself to be a very shrewd purchase, be nice to see him get a game through the middle but his outstanding work rate is probably holding him back from such chance as he really does put a shift in when on the wing. Think it’s time for Ben Arfa to knuckle down again and force his way back in the side, which is criminal really for the start he has had to this season, should be one of the first on team sheet.

I think he'll be in for Cisse shortly.

good shout, pardew probably read about allardyce doing spurs 0-3 with his 4-6-0 and exploded in his pants :lol:

to be fair, given how little cisse contributes these days and how good remy is from the left it makes a lot of sense

good shout, pardew probably read about allardyce doing spurs 0-3 with his 4-6-0 and exploded in his pants :lol:

to be fair, given how little cisse contributes these days and how good remy is from the left it makes a lot of sense

Tbh anything is better than Cisse upfront on his own. Would be nice to see HBA in that false nine role, he would have enough pace to exploit any gaps between the defense and we all know he can take on a centre half easy enough. Don't know if percy parsnip will like the lack of height for his plan B game...

Who are we going to welly the ball to upfield? I know Cisse isn't great in the air but at least Krul has someone to aim his punts at.

• 2 weeks later...