Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

This is just what stops him from being the great player he could be. Consistency.

Two seasons with Arsene Wenger and I'd put any money you like on him being one of the best and most consistent players in Europe.

I rate Gerets and Deschamps fairly highly as managers and they couldn't do it either.

Tbf they did. He was just a troublesome (behaviour) player but contributed to title wins 5 years on the trot with both those clubs iirc.

If Wenger or any other manager at that level thought they could make him consistent, they'd probably have bought him.

This is just what stops him from being the great player he could be. Consistency.

Two seasons with Arsene Wenger and I'd put any money you like on him being one of the best and most consistent players in Europe.

I rate Gerets and Deschamps fairly highly as managers and they couldn't do it either.

Tbf they did. He was just a troublesome (behaviour) player but contributed to title wins 5 years on the trot with both those clubs iirc.

He didn't. He was a developmental player at Lyon when they were absolutely dominant. He won himself a title as a starter in 2008 under Perrin at Lyon then got himself kicked out the club. He won another in 2010 under Deschamps as a super sub and was promptly allowed to leave that club as well. He's never really fulfilled his full talent.

If Wenger or any other manager at that level thought they could make him consistent, they'd probably have bought him.

Stop it.

Guest bimpy474

He didn't. He was a developmental player at Lyon when they were absolutely dominant. He won himself a title as a starter in 2008 under Perrin at Lyon then got himself kicked out the club. He won another in 2010 under Deschamps as a super sub and was promptly allowed to leave that club as well. He's never really fulfilled his full talent.

He never will playing for us, and in my opinion he lacks the real top quality to. I dont mean quality to do outstanding things which he can do. I mean the top quality to do it on a regular basis at the top level. That's his problem, consistancy i guess.

He was playing as a false nine and the rest of the team were lumping balls into the box from all angles like we had John Fashanu up front.

The ball was played to his feet plenty. He made a mess of it every single time almost.

Laughable that people are starting to turn on him.

He was inexplicably played through the middle when the other 2 up top are far more suited to the job.  You're only only get the best out of him on the right.  It's Pardew's fault you knackers.

There is more to it with him. He was great against villa then since that Hull game he has been horrendous. Don't know if it's the extra weight he's carrying or something going on in his personal life but there has been an extremely noticeable drop in his level.

^^ this. Pardew has barely played him on the right since that Hull game. If you're not going to play him there then there is not much point playing him as we have players better suited to left wing and striker than him.

Laughable that people are starting to turn on him.

He was inexplicably played through the middle when the other 2 up top are far more suited to the job.  You're only only get the best out of him on the right.  It's Pardew's fault you knackers.

He's been played out on the right the majority of the time under Pardew. He'll have an unreal game one week and totally disappear the next. He's not nearly as good as he's given credit for.

Still, at least we have a chance of a decent performance from him at RW. Hopeless when played centrally or out left.

This idea of him playing false nine can't work unless we've a lot if movement around him.

So it's not going to work.

This. He wasn't getting the ball nearly enough when central, and when he did no one was making runs that would allow him to pick off a dangerous pass.

He very rarely got the ball without having 2-3 players instantly on him, yet no one aside from the easy layoff made themselves available in space. Was terrible. He was not the problem, not by a long shot. The team couldn't keep the ball for s***.

And he still created our only goal out of nothing. People don't seem to realise how good that delivery was.

:spit:

You mean that complete mishit of a shot that would in all likelihood have gone out for a throw?

Guest Publius

Looked to me like he looked up, saw Debuchy, and picked him out with a low struck ball; after watching it again i see no reason from which to infer that it wasn't. He struck the ball square, so i fail to see how it would've gone there if he had been aiming a shot.

Looked to me like he looked up, saw Debuchy, and picked him out with a low struck ball; after watching it again i see no reason from which to infer that it wasn't. He struck the ball square, so i fail to see how it would've gone there if he had been aiming a shot.

:lol:

It has only really been 3.5 games where he hasn't been class and has run into alot of dead ends because he's actively targeted by 2/3 players at all times. But even so, it does still seem like something is up, as though he's unhappy with something. Suspicions slash conspiracy theories:

1) Pardew has instructed him to effectively try to play more like Gareth Bale. I.e. run past a player then blast it at goal. It must be an instruction that he's working under for him to be shooting so wildly and so often from silly ranges, as he's only really been playing like this from the start of this season and he definitely didn't play like this in his first few seasons here. Hence, Pardew's instructions are causing Hatem to lose confidence because they're not working, resulting in him playing even worse because every time he cocks up it's being highlighted even more.

2) He's just fed up now. After the Villa performance teams have clamped down on him, so when he gets the ball he's surrounded - yet absolutely noone shows for him. His teammates all stand still like statues making it hard for him to go anywhere or do anything, yet he's pressurized to make things happen. He no doubt looks at the likes of Arsenal and sees the movement and options each and every one of their players has and wishes he wasn't here wasting his time for a chump of a manager who's caveman approach to the game are making him look bad - so now he can't be bothered and is going to wait till Pardew gets sacked or something.

3) After the Villa game another club has tapped him up, and now he's lost interest/motivation and may even be playing for a move but in a perverse way (i.e. play badly, frustrate manager, club gets rid of him for cheap). Last players to have similar and visible drops in form and/or effort are Owen (Bosman) and Jose Enrique (tapped by Liverpool) in the 6+ months prior to their moves for obvious reasons.

Like most of the team Ben Arfa was shite today. He hasn't played well since the Aston Villa game. Some people seem quick to crown players as 'class' but to me a class player is one who consistently delivers good performances. People will blame Pardew (who deserves plenty of blame) for the failings of our players but these players deserve blame too.

Ben Arfa is a right winger. If he wants to play on the right he will have to make sure he does his defensive duties.

You're beyond help if you can't see that was a mishit man, just like most of his handling off the ball today was off.