Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Pardew gets credit for knowing not to play him against Chelsea/Spurs but, if he truly understands what he's doing, he'd start Hatem against Norwich. If he doesn't, Pards has got lucky and is persisting with the rigid 'win match, keep exact same 11' policy.

The short-sighted, kneejerk arguments come out. "We won two games in a row, who cares, let's ignore all the things Pardew has done wrong until now. Next time we lose a couple in a row, I'll jump the fence again and pretend I never said the aforementioned things." And then, of course, the smug wankers (like me) who have been saying they want to see the game being played and the squad being employed in an optimum manner come along and say "I told you so."

This whole cycle is fucking tiresome. Let people make suggestions in spite of recent results which, according to them, will benefit the team. This whole "we won / lost, who cares" mentality is too reactionary.

Cisse and Shola offered us fuck all, HBA would've been better. How is that "but but, he's my fave player" B.S.? Have a fucking word.

Big girl.

Hopefully he's been displaying teamwork tendencies in training and will get a start against Norwich. If he's still trying to do it all on his own i'd rather he watch us win from the bench so he can have a think he could get in the team.

Guest hatem garrincha

"Our results are better without him"

"We're better defensively"

Could we also say the results and the defensive sector are better with Shola and/or without Colo in the team ?

You can see the difference in pressure that we put on opponents when HBA is out of the team. Also shola holding the ball up and winning headers and flick ons has helped us more than we give him credit for.

Still like to see the 433 function properly and for Hatem to actually do a bit more graft and "earn" his place rather than be there "just in case" he turns it on

You can see the difference in pressure that we put on opponents when HBA is out of the team. Also shola holding the ball up and winning headers and flick ons has helped us more than we give him credit for.

Still like to see the 433 function properly and for Hatem to actually do a bit more graft and "earn" his place rather than be there "just in case" he turns it on

That's fine for certain games (away against attacking sides or at home against the really top sides).  But if we try to play like that in the next two games at home to Norwich and West Brom we'll struggle badly.  Pardew needs to keep reminding Ben Arfa that he has to work hard fair enough, but we also need him in the side for most games, especially at home.

Also Ben Arfa earns his place plenty, he's had a couple of bad games and then been dropped and all of a sudden people are talking as if he's the kind of player who does nothing most games then occasionally plays well :nope:  When he's played in his preferred position he's usually our best player.

When he's played in his preferred position he's usually our best player.

i still feel there's too much standing still when he has the ball, it's not as bad as it was but our movement is certainly not what it is when he's not in the team imo

whether they think he's going to just do it all on his own anyway so why bother, or whether it's a natural reaction to him being on the ball and usually doing it on his own i don't know but it needs coaching out of them...when he has the ball, especially in tight home games, we have ensure there are at least 2 players getting beyond him and moving their defence around

I hope Pardew realises that two banks of four and Shola upfront isn't conclusive to get results against teams who will sit back and do exactly what we did against Spurs and Chelsea.

We managed to do so for the majority of the season that we finished 5th (Best in for Shola). We haven't played well with one up top in a long time too. Pretty certain City tonked Norwich for 7 playing 2 out and out strikers up top.

HBA hasn't done anything in a few to make me want him to start. Before moving upfront he was a liability outwide. I'd keep him out the starting line-up as long as the others keep it up or he turns up off the bench.

Only debate for me is Shola maybe out for HBA but to be honest, I would give it 45 minutes as it is (Anita in for Debuchy). If we are level or behind, we can move Anita the CM and take off Shola

"Our results are better without him"

"We're better defensively"

Could we also say the results and the defensive sector are better with Shola and/or without Colo in the team ?

Yes we can. I wouldn't start Coloccini personally. Shola's ability to win the odd header and give it to a team mate has been helpful tbh.

That's fine for certain games (away against attacking sides or at home against the really top sides).  But if we try to play like that in the next two games at home to Norwich and West Brom we'll struggle badly.  Pardew needs to keep reminding Ben Arfa that he has to work hard fair enough, but we also need him in the side for most games, especially at home.

Also Ben Arfa earns his place plenty, he's had a couple of bad games and then been dropped and all of a sudden people are talking as if he's the kind of player who does nothing most games then occasionally plays well :nope:  When he's played in his preferred position he's usually our best player.

ben Arfa was a liability for a decent number of games before he started getting moved around.... he only got moved around because he is a liability.

He wasn't a fucking liability. He was off form and not as effective as we're used to. Rightly sacrificed for harder working players for the two games against Chelsea and Spurs.

He should have his place back for the games against Norwich and WBA, no doubt. Squad game etc.

For Norwich I'd play this way if we want to continue our AP classic  defensive approach and moments of magic.

4-5-1: Krul, Anita, Willo, Mapou, Santon, Sissoko, Cabaye, Tiote, Gouffran, HBA, Remy

This formation requires HBA to play support behind Remy with freedom to move about in space behind and link up play, slow things down when need be with his good close control & lay offs (when he's on form, hes excellent at it) and finally to dribble and create havoc in attack.

This isn't my ideal formation, I much prefer a 4-3-3 and Remy attacking from wide left...this formation also gives up some optionality to go 4-3-3 if it needs to be changed.

He wasn't a f***ing liability. He was off form and not as effective as we're used to. Rightly sacrificed for harder working players for the two games against Chelsea and Spurs.

Yes he was.. he and his fullback were targeted/exploited against Hull (especially) and Everton. He was dropped against Cardiff and we won away. Played uptop against L'pool and we got another result looking more secure than before.

Moreover, he hasn't played well since mid September.

I just think if we are going to go the route we are currently on; this personnel gives us the most flexibility to go 4-5-1, 4-4-2 and 4-3-3. Not that I enjoy AP chopping and changing the system throughout a match either. Ben Arfa will be entering a team full of confidence and in good form, putting him further up top frees him from having to track players bombing down the wings, and if he needs to up his work rate its in the middle of the park. If our ball winners get it back the ball goes to Cabaye, HBA or Remy vs. Cisse/Shola who are prone to losing the ball or playing an awful pass.

His footballing intelligence at AM is horrendous tbf

I do agree...Just rather he play than Shola or Cisse atm.

Shola has been kinda useful there so far. I mean it's really a toss-up but i'd rather start Shola and bring the other two later on.

Shola been useful? There's no way a guy who can't control a ball and slows up play every single time has been useful there.