Newcastle United 2 - 3 West Brom - 12/21/11 - Post-match reaction from page 44

Beren

Fucking hell we were bad tonight.  First half the only serious efforts we had were Demba's FK goal and Vuckic's shot off the bar.  Second half we had a few more attempts but we didn't deserve to win.  Neither did they mind, draw would have been fair.

Was quite alarmed by the negativity in the crowd tonight, our lot were getting ripped the fuck apart in the second half.

Was quite alarmed by the negativity in the crowd tonight, our lot were getting ripped the f*** apart in the second half.

Aye, there were quite a few baying for blood. Not been in a hostile atmosphere like that for a fair few months.

One point from Norwich, Swansea and West Brom is relegation form, and tbh I'm starting to worry.

Worrying about going down? Nah, sorry like but that aint happening. I'm worried our great start is going to be completely wasted, but that's about it.

Aye, there were quite a few baying for blood. Not been in a hostile atmosphere like that for a fair few months.

I put that down to Pardew mind, starting Obertan and Best while leaving out Ben Arfa is just putting everybody under pressure.  Ben Arfa's name has never been as load as it was before he came on and that was frustration from the crowd.

One point from Norwich, Swansea and West Brom is relegation form, and tbh I'm starting to worry.

Worrying about going down? Nah, sorry like but that aint happening. I'm worried our great start is going to be completely wasted, but that's about it.

We're 4 wins and a draw away from the 'magical 40' and not even half the season is gone. There's no chance we're going down. None at all.

We're 4 wins and a draw away from the 'magical 40' and not even half the season is gone. There's no chance we're going down. None at all.

:nods:

Don't even think 40 will be needed to stay up either.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I can't say when I think we'll turn things around as the last 2 games were perfect for that and we have blown it.

I put that down to Pardew mind, starting Obertan and Best while leaving out Ben Arfa is just putting everybody under pressure.  Ben Arfa's name has never been as load as it was before he came on and that was frustration from the crowd.

:thup:

Was quite alarmed by the negativity in the crowd tonight, our lot were getting ripped the f*** apart in the second half.

Who was getting the stick?

Who was getting the stick?

Everyone who misplaced a pass/shot wide/gave the ball away.

This.  What a horrible string of results.  But when you go into the season one or two injuries away from a Perch/Colo starting CB pairing you're asking for trouble.  What a shit situation to be in.  We got hit with horrible injuries in a very "easy" part of the season and have dropped points left and right which is worrying but shit happens and you need the squad to deal with it and we don't have that.

Didn't get back till 1am, tickets were free like so it was decent. Shocking display from all but a few. Krul's distribution was poor, the back four had a collective nightmare and Tiote and Best were god awful (21% pass completion from Tiote).

Obertan, to his credit did win the free-kick that set up our first goal, but still fannys around too much for me. Vuckic was class, he has a great left foot but he was held back from Tiote's ineptitude. Ben Arfa also had a decent game when he came on, and provided the assist for Ba's 2nd.

Not much more you can say about Demba Ba, the man is sheer quality, lord only knows what we're going to do when he goes to the ACON. Anyone know why he had 1 disallowed in the 1st half by the way? Didn't look to be anything wrong with it to me.

Cabaye back will be a big boost, we're definitely a worse team without him, and a flat 4-4-2 with him and Vuckic in the middle may work as Cabaye is more of a deep lying playmaker who is comfortable on the ball, which would allow Vuckic to go forward more.

The problem we had though is that West Brom, through Odemwingie and Long, attacked with pace, and since S.Taylor got injured that doesn't look like something we are able to deal with. I actually thought Perch did well early on against Long but he faded in the 2nd half.

Not being able to deal with pace is no excuse for the defending for the 2nd and 3rd goals though, sheer ballwatching, it was like a return to the bad old days, though the 3rd was admittedly a good finish from Sharner.

Pardew really does need to get on to Ashley about funds for January now, as we need an LB (move Santon to the right as Simpson is just invisible going forward), a Centre-Half and a Striker if we are to avoid stagnating and having a poor 2nd half of the season.

Didn't get back till 1am, tickets were free like so it was decent. Shocking display from all but a few. Krul's distribution was poor, the back four had a collective nightmare and Tiote and Best were god awful (21% pass completion from Tiote).

Obertan, to his credit did win the free-kick that set up our first goal, but still fannys around too much for me. Vuckic was class, he has a great left foot but he was held back from Tiote's ineptitude. Ben Arfa also had a decent game when he came on, and provided the assist for Ba's 2nd.

Not much more you can say about Demba Ba, the man is sheer quality, lord only knows what we're going to do when he goes to the ACON. Anyone know why he had 1 disallowed in the 1st half by the way? Didn't look to be anything wrong with it to me.

Cabaye back will be a big boost, we're definitely a worse team without him, and a flat 4-4-2 with him and Vuckic in the middle may work as Cabaye is more of a deep lying playmaker who is comfortable on the ball, which would allow Vuckic to go forward more.

The problem we had though is that West Brom, through Odemwingie and Long, attacked with pace, and since S.Taylor got injured that doesn't look like something we are able to deal with. I actually thought Perch did well early on against Long but he faded in the 2nd half.

Not being able to deal with pace is no excuse for the defending for the 2nd and 3rd goals though, sheer ballwatching, it was like a return to the bad old days, though the 3rd was admittedly a good finish from Sharner.

Pardew really does need to get on to Ashley about funds for January now, as we need an LB (move Santon to the right as Simpson is just invisible going forward), a Centre-Half and a Striker if we are to avoid stagnating and having a poor 2nd half of the season.

It should be no surprise that Best was offside for the Ba goal that wasn't given.

Guest neesy111

It would have been hard for any set of supporters to not get frustrated at a team that couldn't hit 5 passes together all night.

Oh, and another thing. Krul's kicking, my word. Do we pass the goalkeeping clown shoes down between the generations? That's Harper, Given and now Krul who probably couldn't kick it in a 50-yard radius, let alone onto a 50p piece.

Tbf to him, our defenders kept on passing it back to his right-foot.

It should be no surprise that Best was offside for the Ba goal that wasn't given.

Ahh fair enough. Loads of people stood up in front of me so only saw the scramble and the ball hit the net.

Guest neesy111

Aye.  He's worst than Shola for being offside.

Guest neesy111

Why doesn't any of our players make a gamble for the front post when Jonas crosses the ball as about 50% of his crosses must be to the near post because of his shite technique ?!?

3 games running where the oppo has sat deep and challenged us to try and break them down and hit them on the break and we haven't been able to do it.

Missed Cabaye massively as we were too anxious and needed to slow things down and be a bit more patient in the build up.

MoTD made Vuckic look good whereas i thought the game passed him by and he looked lost leaving massive gaps in midfield for them to exploit.

From where I was, it looked like a close call whether Ba or their defender had actually headed the ball when Best was called offside for Ba's disallowed goal in the first half?

Anyway, very poor performance overall, the defensive line we were trying to hold against Long and Odemwingie was suicidal and they could have got in behind a few more times in the first half if the pass had been better. Tiote and Colo both looked off the pace, and the long ball tactic we've been employing in recent weeks is so infuriating. I thought Pardew wanted us to play a controlled, passing game this season? That seems to have gone out of the window. Best, Jonas or Obertan need to be dropped for Ben Arfa now. It's a shame Pardew doesn't show the same loyalty to Ben Arfa as he does to Obertan, Best and Jonas in his selection as they've all had way more chances than him and shown a lot less in my opinion.