The other games today - 2011/12

Rich

I hope we'll get to play Barcelona in a competitive match sometime before the end of Messi's career.

Just sad I don't get to watch more of them because I really can't be arsed with the Champions League.

Yeah, I won't miss the 4/5 AM kickoffs when I finally get out of this part of the world. :lol:

Aye, I'm just never going to get up that early in the morning to watch FC So Much Better than Us play Real Might as Well Be on a Different Planet

pele counts goals he scored playing friendlies in his dreams in that ridiculous tally of his, he can f*** right off

Except those friendlies were against Real Madrid and the big teams of Europe which he raped on his own.

Messi has a long way to reach Maradona, even longer to reach Pele.

Guardiola: "Messi is among the greatest. Di Stefano, Cruyff, Maradona...And I add Pele, otherwise he'll be angry."

:troll:

:lol: Guardiola is such an idiot. He forgot Garrincha and Zico. People tend to forget that South American football was stronger than European back then. Much more hostile environment for players.

Guest firetotheworks

pele counts goals he scored playing friendlies in his dreams in that ridiculous tally of his, he can f*** right off

Except those friendlies were against Real Madrid and the big teams of Europe which he raped on his own.

Messi has a long way to reach Maradona, even longer to reach Pele.

...except they were friendlies.

Still scored over 700goals in competitive matches. The day messi gets the same treatment as pele and does what he did in terms of world cups he wont be there nomatter how much you want it.

This discussion about Pele vs Maradona vs Messi etc is pretty pointless really. They player the game in different eras in different teams and against different opposition.

My eyes tell me Messi is the best player I've ever seen, I'm not old enough to have watched the other greats much but that's good enough for me.

He's the best player I have ever seen (and that includes Maradona), but well, I guess I can be biased. Without a doubt the greatest in our shirt, though (and that includes Maradona).

Think I'll tell the GF I want children only in order to tell them I saw him play live, so they hate me for the lucky bastard I am.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Guardiola: "Messi is among the greatest. Di Stefano, Cruyff, Maradona...And I add Pele, otherwise he'll be angry."

:lol: Guardiola is such an idiot. He forgot Garrincha and Zico. People tend to forget that South American football was stronger than European back then. Much more hostile environment for players.

The individuals were but the team game wasn't.

Have to get to a Barcelona game next season, not to see this team would be a crime.

After watching it on the telly while I lived in the US, I almost thank god that my visa expired and had to come back to Barcelona. I miss New York, but Messi and the others make up for most of it.

Have to get to a Barcelona game next season, not to see this team would be a crime.

After watching it on the telly while I lived in the US, I almost thank god that my visa expired and had to come back to Barcelona. I miss New York, but Messi and the others make up for most of it.

Made my first last year, 30 minutes in and Messi has already banged in a hat-trick....

People tend to forget that South American football was stronger than European back then. Much more hostile environment for players.

So true. It's the same thing I always try to explain whenever I hear some muppet saying that Maradona was "better" than Pelé solely because Maradona was successful at the highest level in Europe. What said muppet forgets/ doesn't know is that when Pelé was playing the highest level was in South America (Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina), and top players only came to Europe having accomplished everything back home. You only have to think of Delio Onnis, Héctor Yazalde and Carlos Bianchi who were scoring for fun in Europe but couldn't get a look in for the Argentine national team.

In general comparisons between players from different epochs are futile since top-level football today, on and off the pitch, ressembles a whole different sport compared to 40 years ago.

I did exactly that a few weeks ago and sadly found the whole experience a bit dull... The tempo of the football and the atmosphere in the Nou Camp was poor with the ground full of sight-seers like myself ... Mind you it was bloody freezing!... Might be a different story for a bigger game but there's nothing like following your own team...