NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Newcastle target Jan Vertonghen hints at Ajax exit

Long-term Newcastle United target Jan Vertonghen has alerted his Premier League admirers that he could soon be available for a move, but Alan Pardew’s side will have to fight-off Arsenal, Manchester United and Tottenham to secure his services.

The Belgian international, who’s contact expires next year, has been subject to vast amounts of interest by topflight clubs from England and although no formal bids are yet to be made, Vertonghen has said he could soon be available for a big, money-spinning transfer out of the Amsterdam ArenA.

“There is talk of a contract extension, but not much has been said,” he told AT5, a Dutch news agency.

Follow our transfer window coverage with regular updates from our team of reporters and the pick of football transfer tweets

“Perhaps Ajax will find it to be a good thing when I leave, I don’t know. But I think that in the future I could have a very good transfer.”

The 24-year-old centre-back is believed to be valued at £10million and has been on the radar of Newcastle for some time, but Arsenal, who face injury worries aplenty in defence, are believed to be tracking him too, with reports that Manchester United and cross-town rivals Spurs could also come in for the international.

Indeed while there is much speculation surrounding Vertonghen, the Belgian has had an up and down season in the Eredivise, with his side, Ajax, sitting five points behind the league leaders AZ, in 4th position.

http://sportsbyte.sunderland.ac.uk/?p=9384

(I know I know sportsbyte)

Ajax's Jan Vertonghen is more developed, but the Dutch club are understood to have quoted an asking price of £10m, a sum that is outside United's price range.

assuming any of that is true this is the somewhat frustrating aspect of MA's tenure - this lad could be a great player and long term colo replacement but he's 3m above our current budget, probably head to spurs or arsenal and be class :(

Ajax's Jan Vertonghen is more developed, but the Dutch club are understood to have quoted an asking price of £10m, a sum that is outside United's price range.

assuming any of that is true this is the somewhat frustrating aspect of MA's tenure - this lad could be a great player and long term colo replacement but he's 3m above our current budget, probably head to spurs or arsenal and be class :(

I'm hoping(judging by the Cisse transfer) that they have realised if the player is seriously good then even 9/10m can be seen as a profitable long term investment for them.

Graeme Bailey @SkyGraemeBailey 26s  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open

Sky Sports sources understand that Newcastle United have made a bid for Watford defender Adrian Mariappa. see.sc/c57yr2

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11686/7449958/Toon-make-Mariappa-move

He's a bit .....small for a CB! Very underwhelmed with this potential signing. Him and Colo could be the smallest CB pairings in the Prem and would struggle with the bigger center forwards.

Graeme Bailey @SkyGraemeBailey 49s  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open

Guingamp striker Anthony Knockaert has claimed that Newcastle United are in talks with his agent. www1.skysports.com/football/news/…

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7450075/Knockaert-claims-Toon-interest

Lee Ryder @lee_ryder Close

Guingamp striker Anthony Knockaert on #nufc "They are in touch with my agent" - unconfirmed

If he's cheap enough, and it provides us with reasonable enough cover, then I really can't see a problem with it. Especially if he's quick, as we've struggled against fast strikers this season.

I think people automatically assume he's being bought as first choice, and are using it as a reason to moan for the sake of it.

The Watford fans seem to rate him, and they see him a lot more than the likes of we do.

If anything this Mariappa lad ain't going to be worse than the noone we currently has for cover so it can only be a good move IMO.

Not necessarily - Perch is currently the next in line to play centre back and so if this Mariappa is no better than him then it is not a good move.

That's sort of the point though isn't it, he cannot be any worse than James Perch.

25 apps, only two goals in League 2.

He's a right winger according to the sites I looked at yesterday.

Looks like it. In his actual interview, he doesn't really give much away about his ability. He says that he wants to improve his technique (achieving "technical ease"). His role models are Zidane and Messi.

Anthony Knockaert

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anthony Knockaert (born 24 November 1991 in Roubaix) is a French footballer. He currently plays for Ligue 2 club Guingamp.Will join Newcastle United which will delight their biggest fan Lenaldo

Someone playing silly buggers on Wikipedia again  :)

Anthony Knockaert

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anthony Knockaert (born 24 November 1991 in Roubaix) is a French footballer. He currently plays for Ligue 2 club Guingamp.Will join Newcastle United which will delight their biggest fan Lenaldo

Someone playing silly buggers on Wikipedia again  :)

Maybe there not  :shifty:

Told that talk of Mangala jetting in for a medical is untrue #nufc

have there been talks?? Wouldn'd mind Mangala though!

First I've heard this. Lee Ryder must have been bored.

Told that talk of Mangala jetting in for a medical is untrue #nufc

have there been talks?? Wouldn'd mind Mangala though!

It's some mong on a windup. And it worked.